Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

where to buy cyber gray metallic paint???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where to buy cyber gray metallic paint???

about to paint my car cyber gray metallic...my painter said its going to be ppg...how do they go about matching the color to a just released color...will it be close or exactly the same as gm uses on the zr1? around what price and quantity will be needed for a color change from black...just want to get some insight...thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

your painter should be telling you all that.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Teching In

currently getting all the body work done...wanted some info before i find out that the matching doesn't really match the desired color....leaving me with a purple camaro...i am going to talk to him on friday but wanted approach him with some basic knowledge...so will ppg be good?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

They have different kinds of PPG paint. PPG in it self is a good brand of paint, just make sure that you get their best basecoat. Your painter will need to get color code off of a car with the color that you want then order it from the paint store with that code. Your local paint store should have a set of color chips that has the color on it if you can't get the color code. Good luck.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know the paint code for it?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

57u....
Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Teching In

You can use either WA637R or 57U according to my guy at the dealership. Different places will use the different codes, so now you have both!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
about to paint my car cyber gray metallic...my painter said its going to be ppg...how do they go about matching the color to a just released color (If they have the equipment, they get the paint code and put it in a computer and it then tells them the amounts of everything they need, by weight, and they add them as directed and then it's mixed)...will it be close or exactly the same as gm uses on the zr1? (It should be close, but there are usually at least a couple of factory variances.) around what price and quantity will be needed for a color change from black... (depends on if it's done right, ie. the door jams painted, engine, bay, etc..) just want to get some insight...thanks.
Hope that helps.. Ask the painter what all they're going to paint (jams, engine bay, underside of hood, etc.), if they have a booth with a baking system, how the paints mixed, etc etc.. They shouldn't mind showing you their system or facility.. Also should have a pretty good estimate of how much it's going to cost before they ever start prep/paint work..

Quick Reply: where to buy cyber gray metallic paint???