Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Camaro and Trans Am hatch glass, are they the same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Camaro and Trans Am hatch glass, are they the same?

I tried searching for the answer to this but can't find it. I couldn't find a part number for some reason I figured that would be easy but...I looked at a few camaro today while driving, and I think that they are the same, but I am not sure. I may be getting a low rise hatch for my TA, but it doesn't have glass. I know of some camaros in junk yards locally that have the glass and are cheap. I don't want to remove my original also. Does anyone know if camaro and TA hatch glass is interchangeable? Thanks to anyone who can help
Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think they are the same. i think all the glass is the same to be honest, i got my ttop covers from a TA and they fit the same, so that shows that the roof is even shaped the same.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I beleive it is, but good look taking the glass off the camaro without breaking it, very good luck
Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just leave the high rise, looks better.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

I like the hise rise, but i have seen a few people put the low one on, w/ all the rest of the TA panels, and I think it looks sweet. I just rode past one last week, NBM TA w/ a low rise and it looked sick. I think it flows w/ the body lines better. If I can't find one locally w/ glass, I'll probably give up. But they have to be the same glass. I'll do more thinking on this one....

thanks for the info
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From my experience they're actually different. I'm not sure what models / years are different, but my '01 Camaro has different glass than my buddies '97 Firebird (both 6's). I think the mounting surface is the same, so they'll probably be interchangeable, but we looked closely at the curves of the glass itself and found that his Bird has more of a dip in the center than mine.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i dont know about them saying but my class guy got them out with no problem and without breaking them.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glass is the same. Hatch glass from 93-2002 is interchangeable with all models.... that is IF you can swap it out without breaking it.

What is NOT interchangable is.... you can not put a T/A, Formula hatch on a Camaro or vice versa. Only T/a and Formula hatchs are interchangable.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Glass is the same. Hatch glass from 93-2002 is interchangeable with all models.... that is IF you can swap it out without breaking it.

What is NOT interchangable is.... you can not put a T/A, Formula hatch on a Camaro or vice versa. Only T/a and Formula hatchs are interchangable.

I couldn't see GM making 2 diff hatch glasses. Thats good. I was 99% sure the glass was the same, just wanted confirmation. I knew that hatch itself was not interchangable. Not even close. I just have an opertunity to buy the glasses for cheap.

thanks

mark jr.

Quick Reply: Camaro and Trans Am hatch glass, are they the same?