PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing at max tourqe vs timing at max hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing at max tourqe vs timing at max hp?

So i heard that you are supposed to have different timing at peak tourqe than at peak hp.I heard that you should have the least amount of timing at peak tourqe and then ramp it up after that point.If this is true where would peak tourqe be roughly on a stock lt1 with 8lbs of turbo? I am currently running 18 degrees from 2,000 all the way up at 100 kpa. It does feel slouchy up top. Any opinions on changing it up a little to broaden my tourqe curve or just get more power?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

It isn't a hard and fast rule, but setting your timing according to cylinder pressure is a good rule of thumb to avoid detonation.

Your torque curve indirectly represents cylinder pressure.

Your peak torque on a turbo can be a moving target if you have a laggy turbo. If you have a small turbo that spools at a reasonable rpm (ie 3k ish) then your torque curve will look alot like your NA torque curve albeit just a lot higher.

The best way to set your timing according to torque is to get the thing on a dyno. Your lowest timing will be around peak torque. Try adding a couple degrees up top after it has passed peak torque to get the most out of it. I wouldn't go more then a few degrees. Ie maybe 18 through peak torqe (ie 4500) and ramp to 20 by max RPM (ie 6200).

FWIW alot of folks run fixed timing and it works just fine.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
So i heard that you are supposed to have different timing at peak tourqe than at peak hp.I heard that you should have the least amount of timing at peak tourqe and then ramp it up after that point.If this is true where would peak tourqe be roughly on a stock lt1 with 8lbs of turbo? I am currently running 18 degrees from 2,000 all the way up at 100 kpa. It does feel slouchy up top. Any opinions on changing it up a little to broaden my tourqe curve or just get more power?
Rent a dyno for a couple of hours and start tweaking the timing, the idea is to find MBT without encountering knock, which in some cases may not be possible (knock-limited). Once you've found where your engine wants to make it's best torque you can begin to dial the rest of the map up/down accordingly and find where she wants to be at every rpm to make ideal torque. Not very difficult, just time consuming.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
ls?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Timing

If you advance the timing on the LS1 engine with the LS1 Timing Tuner box, should the idle go up a little??? Then also if I retard the timing should the engine idle slow down?? is this the way it should work, since this is what I noticed but just worried the tuner box is not right???
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
ls?

Default LS1 Engine timing

What is the stock engine timing degrees on the 1998 camaro LS1 enigine at idle???
Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Idle speed is the result of torque appplied to the crank, increasing the timing as a base will serve to increase immediate torque output and the result should be an increase in engine speed, however your PCM should be countering with IAC steps that since the desired idle speed would be higher than commanded.. never actually tried it myself though heh
Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Wtf??

Originally Posted by ls?
If you advance the timing on the LS1 engine with the LS1 Timing Tuner box, should the idle go up a little??? Then also if I retard the timing should the engine idle slow down?? is this the way it should work, since this is what I noticed but just worried the tuner box is not right???
X2...
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 PM
ls?

Default VTC_WS6 ls1 timing

Okay... The external module that I used is the LS1 Timing Tuner that plugs into my crakshaft sensor... so from youR reply it sounds like I programmed it correctly, I set the timing a few degrees advance under non-N20 activation and then it will retard the timing a little after my N2O goes active..... THANKS..

Quick Reply: Timing at max tourqe vs timing at max hp?