Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need experiences shared to help me decide tuner. Located in Kansas

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need experiences shared to help me decide tuner. Located in Kansas

I have a 02 Trans Am i'm about to finish up. It's on E85. Mods are pretty simple but I know the reliability to keeping a stock motor together comes down to the tune. Being a college student its pretty critical this motor lasts a fair amount of time. If something happens it happens but I would like to rule out a bad tune as a possible issue as much as I can. Mods that need to be known for a tune:

Motor Mods:
02 Stock Motor
Long tubes
ati super damper

Fuel:
81# injectors
Twin 340's

Power Adder:
D1sc
EPP Front mount
Ati race valve
4.5 blower pulley
sdce crank pulley (8 rib)

Trans:
Pro yank 3600

I'm indecisive about a couple different tuners and the reasons being:

XP racing:
Ups- Brett tuned my last car. It ran good, great driveability, great customer service.

Downs- Farthest away and most tolls, made less power than the tune by previous tuner (although twice the drivability),most expensive at $750 for a 2bar sd tune

MC Racing
Ups- Closest, best price on tune, I have heard alot of positive things about them, cheapest route all together

Downs- No experience with them

House of Boost

Dont really have any opinion. Just seen they were in the kc area also and figured I'd see what people said about them. Don't know prices or anything.

I'm sure all these shops are capable of delivering a good tune. Being a college student price is a factor, but if the extra money for a better tune is commendable then so be it. I'm interested in other peoples experiences though. What was your opinion on them? Good tune, customer service? All info. is appreciated. If I can think of any other comments or questions ill post up. Thanks

EDIT: Don't even mention Ed Wright. He's out of the question and won't even be considered

Last edited by kkslds; 09-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might try chris at wichita dyno, he's tuned a few FI cars and the owners have NO complaints.

Check out ksfba.org

guy by the user name aknovaman seems to have a steelar rep there.

if i was experianced i'd do it. but i should get hpt deliverd tomarrow. doubt you want me in there palying with things just yet.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, i was told 300 to 600 for a dyno tune on my car about a year ago.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

A friend spent the big bucks with Chris at Wichita Dyno. You should have seen his VE table - a mess, nothing smoothed, all over the place ... a joke. A couple months later Chris agreed to redo the tune at no charge. Chris didn't bother to show up at the shop for the appointment. My friend considered it money wasted and moved on.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow. First I've heard of something like that. Of course do some lookin into whatever shop u choose. Still might check out the other guy from ksfba.org tho.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why not tune it yourself? Dlove on here is from the KC area you could try him. Stay away from musclecar specialties in Olathe
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

I had a friend who had that chris guy tune his car. He seems happy with it although its just h/c.

As far as tuning it myself well... I do all the work on my car. Everything that gets done to it. I would love to learn how to tune also it's just that i'm still in school and funds are tight. I would like to wait till i'm financially capable of fixing my mess up I would possibly create during the learning curve. Lol if I tried to tune it now and messed it up i'd be f'd.

I've heard of Dlove. Not alot but enough to know he tunes. Whats his price? Have a shop? Dyno? I'm sure there are several guys out there who can tune, but i'm looking for more of a shop with a good reputation that could back themselves up. I wouldnt want to end up like one of your friends with chris. Keep the comments coming. All you guys who are from up that way. What is your opinion on MC Racing? Here anything good or bad post it up. Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Back up!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

If you can't afford to blow your **** up you shouldn't be modding it. Just wait until you get out of school and you will make enough to do whatever you want.

Curtis, what happend with MCS? I thought you were buddies with those guys?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

If you can't afford to blow your **** up you shouldn't be modding it.
Right... Anyway.

Back to the topic. I'm looking for usefull information about the listed shops. I know there are alot of KC members and OKC members on this site. You guys are local to these shops and you more than likely know the shops reputations. Please share

Just wait until you get out of school and you will make enough to do whatever you want.
I wish I had that patience. I am able to do the modding, but i'm sure most members on this site including myself don't have the bank to throw all this money into a car and still have the extra cash for backup incase of a major failure. Thats why I try and do it right the first time. Hince this thread. I'm trying to get feedback on these shops to help make the right decision.

And I hope your right. Maybe someday I will have that convienance.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had House of Boost tune my cam only set up. The shop is awesome and the staff is even better. They are all very nice guys and know what they are doing. That and the fact they used to work for Procharger. You would be very happy with having them tune your car. Did a great job on my car, and seeing some of the awesome cars they have done I have no problem recommending them to anyone.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you. That is the feedback i'm looking for. Now just more people.

Also what was their price? Your mods & dyno #s? Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say that Musclecar does decent work on the vehicle itself as far as actual "mechanic" work goes. However I had them do the tune on my car and it is CRAP! I'll bet I have had my car in there half a dozen times for the same damn problems with the tune. It's always one excuse or another. The damn thing only has a little 224/230 cam in it and they can't even keep it running on cold start without footing it. The car runs rich as hell. Shift points are weird unless at WOT. I wanna say that brian and rusty are some good guys(from personal experience) but I will never have them tune anything on any of my cars again. I would say go to MC or Dlove and call it a day. I think Dlove only does SD though but I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kkslds
Thank you. That is the feedback i'm looking for. Now just more people.

Also what was their price? Your mods & dyno #s? Thanks
Dyno tune is 450. I just have basic bolt ons and a 231/232 cam. Car put down 387/384 but peaked early for some reason. Cam only my cam should make right at or over 400 rwhp. Need to do some trouble shooting on my car though.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Launching!

I live in KC and had Keith McCord from STL tune my turbo car. If I had to pick a shop locally, I'm not sure who I'd pick. I have some experience with MC Racing and none with the other shops.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

I have some experience with MC Racing and none with the other shops.
What was your thoughts on them?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had chris at Wichita Dyno tune my FI car. I made good power and was still getting 28 mpg on the highway. Drives around town like it's still stock. It was tuned almost three years ago with no problems. I will have him tune it again when I get my 6 Liter done.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

bump!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MC racing in KC

I know a dude who worked @ MC. They just changed owners.

In the past they've done decent work, now ?