PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the timing up. now please help me get this one little tweak.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally got the timing up. now please help me get this one little tweak.

I had to use someone else's table. I have KR from 1600-2100 and more from 3400-5600.

If I can just pull timing in those cells I would be just fine. What I have been doing is miltiplying those columns only by say .97 to get about 2 degrees out. That will get the timing down but I dont think I need to do the entire column. Its only when im kinda getting on it that I get the KR. Any advice on how to tweak it say in 2nd gear only?

Attached is a run and my config.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
new30.hpt (455.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: hpl
300.hpl (208.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: hpl
DIRTY30.hpl (167.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
I had to use someone else's table. I have KR from 1600-2100 and more from 3400-5600.

If I can just pull timing in those cells I would be just fine. What I have been doing is miltiplying those columns only by say .97 to get about 2 degrees out. That will get the timing down but I dont think I need to do the entire column. Its only when im kinda getting on it that I get the KR. Any advice on how to tweak it say in 2nd gear only?

Attached is a run and my config.
Timing is measured by engine load....or as the table indicates, grams/cylinder. You need to log grams/cyl in addition to RPM to determine where timing adjustments need to be made.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I dont see that in HPT. MAtter of fact I dont see how to change the guages or anything in HPT logging. In EFI Live I have airflow grams per cyl and airflow grams per cyl speed density.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I dont see that in HPT. MAtter of fact I dont see how to change the guages or anything in HPT logging. In EFI Live I have airflow grams per cyl and airflow grams per cyl speed density.
That's why I love my EFI Live scanner...

Maybe someone can post up and help you find a way to log those in HPT?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I had my EFI live in the classifieds to sell. I wont sell it now. HPTuners is great but as far as the scan part. Until I get a wideband...EFI LIVE works better.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Just right click on the table and then insert and look through the PIDs it is there in HP Tuners. I just used it on a 2004 GTO.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you need to insert it into the scanner through the PID's.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I had my EFI live in the classifieds to sell. I wont sell it now. HPTuners is great but as far as the scan part. Until I get a wideband...EFI LIVE works better.
You just need to take the time to learn to use it... Seeing as how the HPT scanner auto recognizes the controller type and the vehicle, it is easier to use between the two packages.

The gauges are of marginal use. Setup the items you need to log in the TABLE view.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
You just need to take the time to learn to use it... Seeing as how the HPT scanner auto recognizes the controller type and the vehicle, it is easier to use between the two packages.

The gauges are of marginal use.
Setup the items you need to log in the TABLE view.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Software "gauges" are the obsession of newbs and people that want to impress their friends; you don't tune with them.

Properly defined and filtered histograms in conjunction with penned line graphing gets work done.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
Software "gauges" are the obsession of newbs and people that want to impress their friends; you don't tune with them.

Properly defined and filtered histograms in conjunction with penned line graphing gets work done.
Tuning on the street - I like having a guage. Don't have to spend as much time taking eyes off the road. Not trying to impress myself. The line graphs and maps (or histograms in HPT lingo) are what I resort to when I shut the car off.

As far as the scanners go, I have to use HPT for my CBSS. I'd much rather use the EFI Live scanner though. So much easier to configure, work with, etc.

Sorry for the hijack...but, that just made me laugh. That's all.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got it all figured out. The reason I use the guage is when im rolling and at WOT I can immediately tell if im getting a lot of knock before I damage something. (my tables were so messed up that I had a LOT and then it would often be at 17-21 degrees timing. I had to dump those tables completely.

No friends are in the car with me when im tuning. lol. SSpdmon Im with you I tune when I shut down. I export the data and freeze and view it, and tweak from there. I am going to start learning to use the histograms. And yes I am a supernewbie. Thanks for the help. My car runs soooo much better.