Sponsored by:

Guess I gotta learn to Tune "Where to start"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guess I gotta learn to Tune "Where to start"

My Tuner I've always used...... " Exotic Performance Plus "
Has quit doing tunes or any service work, So I guess I need to learn how to maintain my Tune.
Since They have used EfiLive on the existing tune I have decided that kinda makes up my mind about which to use.
Anyway I just ordered a EfiLive V2 scan & tune with an LC-1.
Just gotta do a lotta learning before I get to deep into my tune.
Have autotap on my laptop now & used it a little on some things & thats about my sum of experience.
Question is where to start, like what books to read, courses to take, ect ?
Really appreciate any help on a direction to go with this thing.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

There are some good "Auto Book" titles out there that you can get on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Managem...3667336&sr=1-1
Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

www.efilive.com

start there...
Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I was reading about this one & how good it is for users of Hptuners. Apparently the tables are different in EfiLive, So is it worthwhile for what I need or would it be confusing since it's written for HpTuner ?
They say there will be a EfiLive version, But no date for release is given. If I wait for that it may never happen.

Been trying to read on the other things I might need.......
How about Road Runner? Whats that cost to add and Is that something I should think about or just stick with the V2 till I get some knowledge & experience ?

Sorry for so many questions.....just trying to get headed the right direction from people that have already been there.
Have the Caddy in the garage for the winter hoping I can have this stuff kinda dialed in by spring when it's time for her to come out
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Banned

You might want to go with the HP Tuners.....it really doesn't matter what software was used to tune your car, use whatever software you want and I've heard HP Tuners is a little easier to understand but I'm bias becuase Hp Tuners is what I use.

From what I'm seen most of the tables in EFI Live are vertical compared to Hp Tuners which are horizontal facing. There are differances between the two that aren't the same as well.

My suggestion is read every single book and watch the DVD's that are out there weather it's for HP Tuners or EFI Live, remember both focus on tuning in general.

Here's where you can start...

Masport Speed Master EFI Tuner
Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish
Calibrated Success DVD by Greg Banish

These will get your feet wet.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skydiver
Yeah, I was reading about this one & how good it is for users of Hptuners. Apparently the tables are different in EfiLive, So is it worthwhile for what I need or would it be confusing since it's written for HpTuner ?
They say there will be a EfiLive version, But no date for release is given. If I wait for that it may never happen.

Been trying to read on the other things I might need.......
How about Road Runner? Whats that cost to add and Is that something I should think about or just stick with the V2 till I get some knowledge & experience ?

Sorry for so many questions.....just trying to get headed the right direction from people that have already been there.
Have the Caddy in the garage for the winter hoping I can have this stuff kinda dialed in by spring when it's time for her to come out
The theory in tuning is the same, no mater which software you're using, so Dan's book will help you, no mater which tuner you're using.
if your tune was done in EFI Live, you can switch to HP Tuners, as long as it wasn't converted to a COS. As far as which is better, EFI does stuff that HP doesn't, like allowing you to change VIN's and turn off the recycling vent on the truck tunes to allow you to use the second fan. HP has a bigger following, so more outside support, but the doesn't make it better, there is more Kia's on the road then MB's, does that make it a better car. I've used all 3 of the common ones, Hp, EFI, and TunerCat (both OBD1 and 2) I use TunerCat for about 80 to 90% of what I do, since it doesn't require credits or ever PCM you do, and allows Vin changes and handles the vent door issue, with the trucks, it also works with my RoadRunner PCM. TunerCat biggest current drawbacks are, that they haven't released any CAN support and their limited vehicle type support. I've used HP in the past and recently switched to EFI. I fell both of them give you excellant support. EFI gives you your COS's at no extra charge, where HP charges for them, but has support to allow COS's to a lot more operating systems. EFI supports my RoadRunner PCM for real time tuning, where HP doesn't, but does offer a real time tuning option on some OS's for 2 credits. HP is easier to use, for the beginner, it is most noticable in their scanning (logging) software, but in the end they are all very good powerful products and all of their results, will greatly vary by the skill and knowledge of their users. Even the best product isn't going to fix a bad tuners work.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Learn how to use the scanner and everything else is easy.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely you have a custom OS from EFI Live that will not be compatible with HPT, so EFI Live may be the best choice. I think HPT has the best support and info out there though for new users.

In most cases if the tune is right as it sits now, it should not need to be manintained at all. But it does not hurt to keep and eye on things with the scanning software from time to time to verify nothing has changed. Usually if a car is "done" and the fort some reason the tune seems off and needs calibration, it is usually something mechanical or a sensor going bad.

Since you are in Indy if you need anything as far as advice or actual mechanical needs feel free to contact me.

Mike Norris
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
Most likely you have a custom OS from EFI Live that will not be compatible with HPT, so EFI Live may be the best choice. I think HPT has the best support and info out there though for new users.

In most cases if the tune is right as it sits now, it should not need to be manintained at all. But it does not hurt to keep and eye on things with the scanning software from time to time to verify nothing has changed. Usually if a car is "done" and the fort some reason the tune seems off and needs calibration, it is usually something mechanical or a sensor going bad.

Since you are in Indy if you need anything as far as advice or actual mechanical needs feel free to contact me.

Mike Norris

Thanks Mike, I will probably be contacting you. Didn't even know you were up there on North side of Indy.
Bob
Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

OK Guys,
How do you normally run the cable for the wide band when your driving ?
Do you cut a whole somewhere for it or what ?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

I'm in a C5, so your setup may not allow this, but I ran the wideband sensor cable through the tunnel up into the shifter area. I notched out one corner of the rubber shifter cover which snugs the cable down nicely. From there, the cable runs nicely under the trim pieces under the radio area and into the glovebox.