PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runing Way Rich...all the damn time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Runing Way Rich...all the damn time.

Thanks for the help. I have a 414 lme lswhatever in my 78 malibu. It has a 244/250 at .050 cam. Ported this and ported that. This car will be a driver and that is all. I understand I would best benefit from a dyno tune. Had a company make the harness and put the tune in the pcm. Car fired up first crank and runs very very fat. I've checked injectors, fuel pressure with a guage. Car will fire up on a dime with no problems whatsoever everytime. No injectors bleeding down or what not. Fuel pressure will stay at 60 psi for about 3 days ( with car off) and will s l o w l y drop. IM NO DAMN EXPERT but i think this booger should run a little more leaner. I sent them back the pcm so he could look at it again. He said the pcm was bad, 80 more bucks and he sent me a new one with my tune. CAR RUNS NO DAMN DIFFERENT. I wanna put a few miles on the car before the dyno tune. You can see the black smoke out of the tails. No check engine lights on. Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Another company said 400 for a mail order. Mr frost said 125. Now I have 2 computers that do the excat same thing. thanks again gents
Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think a mail order tune will work. Buy yourself Efilive and tune it yourself using the AutoVE tutorial. It really isnt that hard to do and you will be able to tune any changer you make in the future....money well spent.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

where do i get this efi live? i have a laptop. But i have nothing else. is it expensive? hell i ggogle it too...thanks for the reply.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

www.efilive.com Sponsors here carry it in stock.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

If you get a mailorder tune on that setup it should be for temp use only man, you really need a good street/dyno tune....

buying tuning software will cost as much as a dyno tune.... unless you will be changing your setup all the time or tuning several vehicles, I say pass on the tuning software. If you are set on buying tuning software i would suggest Hptuners.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks again guys for some replies. I have no want or need to change this motor or setup any time soon....if ever. Its not built for boost. that would be the only mod and that will probably be no time soon....mabye in 10 years. I dunno...anyways i guess a dyno tune is in order. WHO IN THE STATE OF TEXAS SHOULD PERFORM THIS FOR ME?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Texas Speed.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by malibu9in
Thanks for the help. I have a 414 lme lswhatever in my 78 malibu. It has a 244/250 at .050 cam. Ported this and ported that. This car will be a driver and that is all. I understand I would best benefit from a dyno tune. Had a company make the harness and put the tune in the pcm. Car fired up first crank and runs very very fat. I've checked injectors, fuel pressure with a guage. Car will fire up on a dime with no problems whatsoever everytime. No injectors bleeding down or what not. Fuel pressure will stay at 60 psi for about 3 days ( with car off) and will s l o w l y drop. IM NO DAMN EXPERT but i think this booger should run a little more leaner. I sent them back the pcm so he could look at it again. He said the pcm was bad, 80 more bucks and he sent me a new one with my tune. CAR RUNS NO DAMN DIFFERENT. I wanna put a few miles on the car before the dyno tune. You can see the black smoke out of the tails. No check engine lights on. Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Another company said 400 for a mail order. Mr frost said 125. Now I have 2 computers that do the excat same thing. thanks again gents
Ask them if they check/tuned the IFR table. Its the first thing to look at. Grab an EFILive so you can get more help on here.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

800 bucks for the tuning stuff....dyno tune for about 400 or so. Do I spend the extra cash? Can I tune other peoples cars? Hell I cant tune mine I dunno why Im asking about others. This car will be a sat night driver and that it is. I just want it to run like a top.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

You dont need the 800.00 version. I have the V1 which is 549.00 with free shipping. It allows you to easily hook up a wideband too. It sounds like your not gonna be messing with it once tuned, so maybe just a Dyno Tune is what you need.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advise Slow...I just wanna drive this damn thing. I wish it would run a little better before i dyno tuned it , I would like to put on a couple hundred miles or so.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

One thing ill tell ya is I wouldnt drive it running that overly rich. I wouldnt wanna wash down my cylinder walls and cause premature ring wear.....id go find a dyno soon, as im sure you have a pretty penny in your motor.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Yea your right. Im old enough too no better too. LME built the motor and they are supposed to be awesome. At this point i dont care if it puts 600 0r 60 to the wheels i just wanna drive it.