Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obd2 lt1 newbie Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default obd2 lt1 newbie Questions.

First let me say hello to everyone in this section, i have pretty much no experience when it comes to tuning and what is possible and what is not. Please bear with me when it comes to any stupid questions i may ask.

OK well to start the car is a 96 Trans am. This is what i have done to it. CAI, Aluminum Intake Elbow, Walbro 255 w/o hot wire kit, Long tube headers with ORY, and basic tune up. Car is auto with 3.23 rear.

Now to the questions, I live in Lancaster County PA so the car must pass Emissions. They just hook the car to a computer and check for codes, if there are no codes and it passes the visual the car gets a sticker. Now i have the car up on blocks from the header install, and was wondering if it is possible to completely remove the Air & Egr from the PCM like it was never there. I think i am just going to get simulators for now for the rear o2's and put High flow cats on it before it has to pass next year. So basically if i can get away with removing it i want to, it is going to be a PITA to weld in fittings for that stuff, and it would be nice to free up some space by getting rid of it all.

What software is out there to use to flash a new program on to the PCM?
IS it hard to do? Where Can i get the OBD2 to USB cable to make it work with my laptop? Can i just copy someone's tune that has a similar setup, and upload it to my car? Is there any reading material out there that is usefull for someone completely ignorant to tuning. I am willing to put the time in to learn how to properly tune these cars, i just need some direction about were to start. It would be help full if someone could tell me how to fix my curent problems with the car so i can start driving it again, and would give me a little peak into what all is involved in tuning these things..

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

Two tuning options for the obd2 lt1, lt1-edit and jet tuning software. Not sure if they can help you pass emmission tests but they can be used to disable codes.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand wanting to free up space under the hood and getting the most out of your car.. But, what I don't get is why deal with the hassle of having to find ways around the inspection just to get the car to passes.. you can get plenty of power and stay legal..
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuning Software will allow you to tune out those codes and you will be able to pass inspection easily. LT1Edit will also, but will leave you brain dead because it is a POS, expensive, clunky, and severely limited (and virtually unsupported, except for requests for more money).
The initial tune so you can pass inspection will be easy, learning the intricacies will take a long time.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I understand wanting to free up space under the hood and getting the most out of your car.. But, what I don't get is why deal with the hassle of having to find ways around the inspection just to get the car to passes.. you can get plenty of power and stay legal..

From my experience its easier to delete problematic emission garbage before it breaks then try dealing with it or throwing money at it trying to get it to pass inspection.
Everything except the egr is useless. And i put more power down without a cat.

To the OP unless the inspector is familiar with LT1s he wont notice that fake cat or the AIR pump removed ect.
The car is OBDII, i believe In NY( i know you said you are in PA) you need 5 monitors on and ready.

Im not familiar yet on the different LT1 software but with hpt its a simple click of the mouse to get them to pass in NY.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trannykiller
From my experience its easier to delete problematic emission garbage before it breaks then try dealing with it or throwing money at it trying to get it to pass inspection.
Everything except the egr is useless. And i put more power down without a cat.

To the OP unless the inspector is familiar with LT1s he wont notice that fake cat or the AIR pump removed ect.
The car is OBDII, i believe In NY( i know you said you are in PA) you need 5 monitors on and ready.

Im not familiar yet on the different LT1 software but with hpt its a simple click of the mouse to get them to pass in NY.
I know it is a lot harder to pass in New York than it is in PA, i use to live near Buffalo. The reason i would like to get rid of the pollution crap is because it takes up so much space, and after a few years it doesn't work properly anyways. It clutters everything up and is always tripping the ses light for one reason or another. I don't really mind the cats, but i want to be rid of that damn air pump and everything connected to it.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
if there are no codes and it passes the visual the car gets a sticker.
Are you sure it will pass the visual with no AIR and EGR? There are mail order options if you do not want to buy your own tuning software too.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Are you sure it will pass the visual with no AIR and EGR? There are mail order options if you do not want to buy your own tuning software too.
Again unless familiar with the car, just go to a brake jobber shop and they wont know whats missing. Most of the time they dont even pop the hood. They look for a cat check wipers brakes lights try to sell you on 1300 bux in brakes then sticker it.