PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a handheld tuner solve my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a handheld tuner solve my problem?

hey guys i need to pass emissions and my SES light is on because of a p0410 code (secondary air injection system) i have replaced the air pump, both the check valves, and the checked the relays and fuses. i am at the point where i need to do something to fix it and fast. i have till the end of the month to pass and i just moved so i dont have any tools with me to try working on it.

my question: if i buy a handheld tuner (like a predator) can i tune out the AIR system so i can go pass emissions?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Disabling the code in a tune will not pass emissions...
Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Disabling the code in a tune will not pass emissions...
ok thats what i thought, im thinking the best thing i could do at this point is to get a mail order tune?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
ok thats what i thought, im thinking the best thing i could do at this point is to get a mail order tune?

I'm thinking that would solve nothing. All that would happen, is the DTC would be tuned out....just like Mike stated. It looks like your only hope is to solve the hardware malfunction, rather than deleting the code....but I could be wrong.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The code can be removed via HPTuners or EFI Live.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
The code can be removed via HPTuners or EFI Live.
Right. But see Mike's above post. I'm assuming he's more knowledgeable myself, and if what he says is true...then removing the code will still not pass. Is this correct?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done with HPTuners or EFILive (or a mail order tune)...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
Right. But see Mike's above post. I'm assuming he's more knowledgeable myself, and if what he says is true...then removing the code will still not pass. Is this correct?
no, theres no way thats true because if i had a head cam package and tuned out my rear o2s/EGR/AIR then your saying the car wouldnt pass emissions.

all i want to do is have them tuned out and it would just show the monitor "ready" and i can pass.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

It depends on what is meant by "pass emissions". If it's simply an OBD2 computer scan for readiness and trouble codes (i.e. SES lights), then turning off the code to "no error reported" via HPT/EFI Live is all you need. I'm not sure if handhelds have that functionality or not, but the big packages do. If it means a full sniffer test, however, then the AIR system malfunction could effect emissions on a cold start. If the car was fully warmed up at the time of the test then the AIR system wouldn't function, but they still wouldn't like the code, I'm sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ramairJP
It depends on what is meant by "pass emissions". If it's simply an OBD2 computer scan for readiness and trouble codes (i.e. SES lights), then turning off the code to "no error reported" via HPT/EFI Live is all you need. I'm not sure if handhelds have that functionality or not, but the big packages do. If it means a full sniffer test, however, then the AIR system malfunction could effect emissions on a cold start. If the car was fully warmed up at the time of the test then the AIR system wouldn't function, but they still wouldn't like the code, I'm sure.
no its just a obd2 plug in, most cars that are obd2 do not have sniffer test to my understanding.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

right... you'd need a custom tune in order to disable the trouble codes, so that no error is reported...

it can not be done with a handheld...

it can be done with a custom tune made for a diablo handheld programmer... but by itself, no - you can not disable the trouble codes via the handheld interface...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Teching In

i am having the same issue right now with my 01 SS. my car has been running for two years with no problem then all of a sudden last month the damn ses light came on and its the same po410 code, secondary air system. ive checked all the fuses and relay and all is good. i might change my air pump, is it a pain to change? is it expensive? if that dosent work then ill probably have to get a cusotm tune to turn off the air pump completely to get mine to pass too. what a pita!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I was like WTF!!! when I first saw what it was. When I get a chance to get a pic, Ill upload it to show you what I replaced to clear the code and I havent had that code pop back up yet. Most likely tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

i would really appreiciate it if you could do that!!! thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Sorry it took so long to get back at you for those pics. But finally. Close up shot of what it is, and further shot to know where to locate it.
Attached Thumbnails will a handheld tuner solve my problem?-photo-0012.jpg   will a handheld tuner solve my problem?-photo-0013.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Teching In

you dont know what that part is called by chance do ya?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by epglxspooky
Sorry it took so long to get back at you for those pics. But finally. Close up shot of what it is, and further shot to know where to locate it.
that's the EVAP purge solenoid... has nothing to do with any air pump codes
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Frost
that's the EVAP purge solenoid... has nothing to do with any air pump codes
I was told to replace that and it did clear my code. Im not second guessing you. Could be coincidence by replacing that it cleared. All I know is that I do not have the code anymore.

Quick Reply: will a handheld tuner solve my problem?