Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My OBD2 port isn't functioning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My OBD2 port isn't functioning?

I bought an OBD2 bluetooth adapter for use with the Android app "Torque". I get nothing at all when I plug it into my 99 T/A. At first I thought I may have received a faulty adapter (its an ebay one and apparently there are QC issues with them), but then I plugged it into my parent's vehicles and it worked just fine. It connects and transmits data on my dad's 2005 Avalanche and gets power from my mom's 2000 Ford Explorer. It has a row of lights that illuminate when there's ECU data, and a red light which indicates power, none of which light up when plugged into my car.

Is there a fuse or something for our OBD2 ports? I'm not really sure how to diagnose this to see why it's not supplying power to the scanner. I know it's worked within the last 3 years because I've gotten CEL codes read at Autozone before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

My scanner didn't work either when I got it. I did a search and found its the fuse marked radio. If its blown the port will not power up.
I replaced mine and it works now.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Holy crap! I just looked up this app and it sounds amazing for $5. If you get it working please let me know. Also which adapter did u buy?
thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Is that the fuse that actually powers the radio? The fuses on the inside of the car? I pulled it and it's good (as well as the "radio accessory" that I checked for good measure).

The app itself was working just fine on my dad's Avalanche. Made me jealous, haha. I was testing the free version which has some features disabled but many of them were working in the 15 seconds I had it running on his truck. I'll definitely be buying the paid version, which will be the first app I've actually bought in the year I've had this phone. It seems more than worth it IMO.

Edit: here's the adapter I bought. I ordered it on the 8th and it came today, so not bad at all on shipping time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Yes it was the radio fuse inside the car by the drivers door. Go by autozone tomorrow. If their scanner works then its the adapter.... maybe?
my fuse was blown. I replaced it and it worked. My scan tool did I mean.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Edit: Pulled a few more fuses and found that the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. Replaced it and now it works fine! I didn't do a whole lot of playing with the app because my battery was pretty low but I'll do some extensive testing of it tomorrow. It cleared out my O2 sensor CELs instantly though which was pretty cool

Last edited by -LS1-; 06-13-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Just ordered the adapter from ebay you linked. I can't wait to play with it!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, the CIG/ACCY fuse powers the DLC port, not the radio fuse.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

oops sorry. Ohh well I guess I helped some in a weird way.

Im just glad I came in this thread because the Torque app for Droid looks amazing. If it works like it says and how the pics look it should be very useful.... and cool looking in the car!

I have a Droid X with the dash mount and the gauges and warnings features will be nice to have.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 408ws6ta
oops sorry. Ohh well I guess I helped some in a weird way.

Im just glad I came in this thread because the Torque app for Droid looks amazing. If it works like it says and how the pics look it should be very useful.... and cool looking in the car!

I have a Droid X with the dash mount and the gauges and warnings features will be nice to have.
And you can export it all to Excel...Very nice little tool for less than $40 bucks!

Quick Reply: My OBD2 port isn't functioning?