Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno tuning link

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dyno tuning link

Can somebody post up a link to help explain what dyno tuning is all about?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

These two books probably explain it the best:
Greg Banish: Engine Management
Greg Banish: Fuel Injection Systems

The point made by those books is that with a load bearing dyno, the operating point can be held steady in each of the VE tables cells to get a sufficient number of hits in each cell (i.e. each cell is hit under steady state [non-transient] airflow conditions).

By contrast, tuning on the street gives you an insufficient number of steady state condition cell hits (the engine just spins up rather than being held at some RPM/MAP under load).
Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 707chance
Can somebody post up a link to help explain what dyno tuning is all about?
In all fairness, I don't think you'll find an answer to your issue in the methodology of dyno tuning.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default dyno video

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
In all fairness, I don't think you'll find an answer to your issue in the methodology of dyno tuning.
I agree with you again, yuck!! But using a good instructural video to educate an attorney and a judge on the purpose and the basics of dyno tuning can go a long way.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

I agree with you again, yuck!! But using a good instructural video to educate an attorney and a judge on the purpose and the basics of dyno tuning can go a long way.
Again, in all fairness, I highly doubt educating an attorney or judge will make any difference.

It will go something like this.

Did you knowing allow someone to operate your car at wide open throttle to 130 MPH? YES

Did you know there was a real possibilty something could go wrong, and there could be a mechanical failure? YES (If not, you're in denial)

Case closed...........

There was no difference in running your car on the dyno than running it 130 mph down the track, with the exception of wrecking on the track. Had you handed the keys to someone to run it down the track, and it blew up, you could no more blame them than blame the tuner or tuner shop in this instance. There is nothing to say that the trans did not have an issue that caused this. The trans was rebuilt. How do you know it was done correctly? Just because it operates correctly at part throttle, does not mean it will operate correctly at WOT or coming down from WOT. Before dynoing it, did you make a full throttle run to 130, and decelerate? If not, how do you know the trans worked correctly in this instance? There could very well be something wrong with the trans that would not show up until something like this.

There are waaaaay too many variables to blame this on the dyno/operator/shop. This is the main reason for release forms.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People that modify their cars to increase output power and performance then want to blame someone else when something fails should in all reality just leave their cars stock. Should probably buy an extended warranty too.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Banned

This is the main reason for release forms.
The real intent of a release form is to try to isolate the shop owner from any liabilty. It does nothing to protect the vehicle owner. This is the reason, all dyno seasons should be video recorded, including being able to see the dyno screen.
I think you're thinking the judge, is a car guy and will know the risks of dyno tuning. Most peoples only exposure to a dyno is emmisions testing, so I doubt, if the judge will, know to ask the risks, and he shouldn't have to, since that's the defense attorny's job.
I see the car owner's attorny questioning the shop owner about what went wrong and the shop owner, saying he doesn't know, and from there the shop owner's case going down hill.

I know you know who the tuner was, since one call to one of my mustang buddies, down your way, got me the answer. I don't see it being long until its public knowledge, on here, since its already street talk in VB
Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2xLS3
The real intent of a release form is to try to isolate the shop owner from any liabilty. It does nothing to protect the vehicle owner.
Well no freekin duh. That's exactly what it's supposed to do. As a tuner, I have little idea what kind of condition your car is in, internally. I have no idea who built it, how it was built, the purpose, the quality, the methods, etc. I have no idea if it's going to fly apart when I hit it, or let off.

On the other hand, you as a car owner, you know I'm going to strap your car down, and run it for all it's worth. Which would include running the engine to over 6000 RPM (in most cases) and to speeds up to 150+ MPH wheel speed. Now, as I stated in my earlier post, you can no more know if it's going to blow up on the dyno, than on the track or street. And "it was fine before you strapped it down" is no legal defense or recourse. Neither is "it was built to withstand much more". Every cay owner has to know there is an inherent risk involved in dyno tuning, and the release form is only intended to release the shop and tuner of any liability.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 06-22-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, in all fairness, I highly doubt educating an attorney or judge will make any difference.

It will go something like this.

Did you knowing allow someone to operate your car at wide open throttle to 130 MPH? YES

Did you know there was a real possibilty something could go wrong, and there could be a mechanical failure? YES (If not, you're in denial)

Case closed...........

There was no difference in running your car on the dyno than running it 130 mph down the track, with the exception of wrecking on the track. Had you handed the keys to someone to run it down the track, and it blew up, you could no more blame them than blame the tuner or tuner shop in this instance. There is nothing to say that the trans did not have an issue that caused this. The trans was rebuilt. How do you know it was done correctly? Just because it operates correctly at part throttle, does not mean it will operate correctly at WOT or coming down from WOT. Before dynoing it, did you make a full throttle run to 130, and decelerate? If not, how do you know the trans worked correctly in this instance? There could very well be something wrong with the trans that would not show up until something like this.

There are waaaaay too many variables to blame this on the dyno/operator/shop. This is the main reason for release forms.
I have to say Im in total agreement with Ed on his statement, sorry for your luck I do feel your pain but i have been their more then ounce.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

If you did your work yourself you really have no case. If someone else did the work and then it broke you might want to talk to them but when you add power **** breaks
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, your question contains hidden motives (I should have recognized you from your other thread)... in this case I agree with what Ed and 2xLS1 said.

In your situation (in your other thread), if the shift tables are correct then a downshift will not over-rev the engine (PCM inhibits a downshift until the RPM is safe), unless something goes wrong (transmission failed in a manner causing a lower gear).

Both attorneys will throw this out, car was modified therefore you were racing.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default dyno video

This thread has gotten way off the point. I was asking if anybody can send me a link giving the basics of dyno tuning. I am also under the impression that you guys have not be reading the threads that I have posted.
Here is a reader’s digest version.
#1 No liability form was offered to me to read and sign explaining my liability even through the tuner used to this. No discussion occurred between any of the parties involved concerning liability. No signs were posted discussing liability. I was told in front of another witness that this would be an easy tune.
In other words liability was secretly assigned to me.
#2 The engine was put together under the guidance of a gentlemen who has a automotive degree. The engine was assembled last fall. The engine was assembled from the bottom up. The transmission was built by a transmission guy with lots of experience and insight in these types of transmissions. The transmission was installed last July.
#3 No n20 was used during the tuning therefore the car was operating way under the build design.
#4 A build list was provided to the tuner months before the tune and he had plenty of time to ask questions directed towards the builders. I state this fact because my car is a front wheel drive car and their transmission and TC can be different then your typical rear drive car transmission and TQ.
#5 The car went through three dyno runs before the over-rev that occurred during the 4th run. Two of these runs were video taped.
#6 The car was in manual mode with a operator using the tap shift paddles mounted on the steering wheel.
#7 The parameters for downshifting the car in manual mode were changed which allowed the car to be manually downshifted at the end of the 4th run. We have data logs proving this and we now have been able to recreate that event on the road.
#8 The TC was placed in a lock position during the 4th run. The manufacture of this TC has stated that this is a no no.
#9 If the tuner and the owner of the shop is reading this I am still willing to work with you to correct this situation. I have not named names publically and I wish you the best in all that you guys are doing. It would be much better to have people say that when these guys make a mistake they work with their customers to fix it then for people to say stay away from them they cannot be trusted.
#10 For all those who think they know who I am talking about please feel free to forward my message on to them.
#11 As for those who would say buyer beware, I can honestly say that if I was told; please understand Mr. Reece we operate under the policy of that we are not responsible for any event that can take place during the tuning session I would not have turned over my key.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by joecar
OP, your question contains hidden motives (I should have recognized you from your other thread)... in this case I agree with what Ed and 2xLS1 said.

In your situation (in your other thread), if the shift tables are correct then a downshift will not over-rev the engine (PCM inhibits a downshift until the RPM is safe), unless something goes wrong (transmission failed in a manner causing a lower gear).

This is not a normal GM trans. It has many special parts in it allowing for a manual valve body. Corvette's can't even shift like this trans.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar

Please read my last post, esp #7. I have clearly stated my motives. The only thing I have hidden is the name of the tuner and the shop.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

#9 If the tuner and the owner of the shop is reading this I am still willing to work with you to correct this situation.
If this is the case, I would highly suggest retracting all of your threads and posts concerning this. Any mention of litigation would keep a shop/tuner/person from answering you. The term "lawyer up" comes to mind. Airing this out in public is NOT the right way to get something out of the shop.

Also, if you DO have an attorney, I would assume he would tell you to not do this the way you're doing it.

^^^This comment alone would do it. End of story til I heard from your attorney.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

If this is the case, I would highly suggest retracting all of your threads and posts concerning this. Any mention of litigation would keep a shop/tuner/person from answering you. The term "lawyer up" comes to mind. Airing this out in public is NOT the right way to get something out of the shop.

Also, if you DO have an attorney, I would assume he would tell you to not do this the way you're doing it.

^^^This comment alone would do it. End of story til I heard from your attorney.
I am not a tuner, an engine builder, a transmission expert nor do I sleep at a Holiday Inn. The purpose of my threads was and is to seek the help of professionals in the field, including you. I am gaining an understanding of the events surrounding the over-rev because of you guys. I have received so much help from the outstanding members of this community that I am almost to the point of now having to say thanks for the offer but I think I have enough experts working on this….almost.
People all over the North American continent are spending their valuable time helping me out for FREE and I would like to say to them publically THANK YOU!!!!!!! A lot of people always talk about what is wrong with the world today; I point to the people who are helping me out and say this is what is right about the world today.

Quick Reply: dyno tuning link