PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners is now accepting orders.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith, do you need a real serial port or will a "port replicator" connected through USB work? In other words, do you play nice with the windows driver or need to bit-bang the hardware directly?
Old 03-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

orderd mine. oh happy day
Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Does anyone have a link to some screen shots?
Old 03-05-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://hptuners.com/products-scan.html
http://hptuners.com/products-edit.html
Old 03-05-2004, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magnus
Dee, sorry to dissapoint you.

There is no way it will take us 6 months to release any type of bug fixes... Critical bug fixes we can release to the customer over night and produce global updates for all users in weeks or months. We will be very prompt on our bug fixes.

The "update" period is for software updates realy. I don't consider them bug fixes as it won't take that long at all to release bug fixes. however we WILL be updating our software continuousely to add new features and such.
I don't know. For 1 extra year of software tweaks, $100 seems a bit steep to me. I am not trying to slam the product. I am just a straight shooter you know, I stood up for you when everyone went after you.

DEE

Last edited by DEE99TA; 03-08-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

[Paperback edition coming soon]

The update scheme seems over the top for so young a product (that isn't really "out" yet)! The screenshots may prove that it's not vaporware, but it reeks of early 90's VB programming to me making me wonder just how mature the code actually is -- hence wondering about updates.

It takes more fingers than I have on one hand to count the number of enhancements and additions you made to the code while you were "waiting" on other things -- I know that was intended to ensure people that you were actively working on the code to improve it, but that also indicates to me that it isn't "finished". (Of course software is never "finished", but again that brings up the code maturity question -- with a enterprise-class program designer managing the programmers there would be no "feature creep", and even as such would not be announced to potential customers, especially dressed up as a plus).

I haven't seen any indication of a widespread beta program except for the occasional demonstration and the hardcore members of your team who have learned to use the program in a predictable way.

There will be bug fixes for a long, long time. New versions being released should indicate major functionality changes or improvements and not just "updates" or bug fixes, bringing along yet another round of bug fixes. However with smaller companies, this usually means the older code base is abandoned for bug fixing and even with a potentially crippling bug the customer is left hanging unless they pay to "upgrade" when all they want is for the product they paid for in the first place to work correctly.

Very very few programs can be labelled as "bug free". Even dark bugs that threaten the viability of the whole program are sometimes not discovered for a period, especially ones that are hard to duplicate. (As unreasonable example - consider an obscure bug that if a particular value was entered in a field when using a laptop with a certain brand USB adapter that it would zero out values in a table and cause massive detonation when an engine is first started. I sincerely hope this particular example never happens to you or any of your customers, but how are you prepared to handle the liability in this situation, especially if it was a known bug in an old old version that's no longer supported?)

It is also my opinion that program updates should be driven by new business, not by relying on existing customers. A new version that has had radical new development may justify an upgrade, but paying a time-based subscription with no guarantee (read: obligation) of any functionality improvements seems more like the BestBuy "extended service plan" scam.

I don't mean to disrespect your tremendous efforts or cause doubts in the minds of other potential customers. I wish you the best of luck, really.

However, I am downright cynical with things that come between me and my wallet and have potential to cost me much much more money in liability. Also, I am sure there might be at least one other individual out there that would like to see how these potential situations are handled (in reality), the quality of the software as released, etc. and will prefer to take a wait-and-see approach.

I greatly appreciate all the Guinna pigs willing to shell out money for a company with no proven track record, and also appeciate new ventures facing financial risk by entering a market with an established monopoly.

I would appreciate a response to my points if not politically inconvenient, and appreciate it more given the fact that even if I decide to purchase your product, it will likely not be for a while.

Last edited by SeaHawk; 03-05-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm alittle confused on the ordering and what you get.I looked at the tuner setup and by reading it looks like to get 98-02 F-body's and 97-03 Vettes it will cost around $8000??
Is that right?
Old 03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

*cough* V6 tuning *cough*

Keith, great to hear you're making more progress and finally starting to take the orders. How long roughly until we get some V6 love?

-Matt-

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-05-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Lets rent this software laptop+software+cable = $50/week plus $900 deposit
Old 03-05-2004, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

I believe that HPTuners has used the software a number of times on a variety of different vehicles, exactly how many I don't know but there have been a few months of scanning pcms and tuning them. I live near Keith and have been hearing updates from him for the last six months.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

First I'd like to say we are now offering 1 year free software upgrades for all orders placed through March 13'th.. You asked for it and you got it!

SeaHawk, you make many valid points...

Regarding our feature additions.. they are really minor things most people wouldn't notice but things that just put us over the top I think.. It doesn't mean our product isn't finished.. Like you said software is never done, there is always stuff you can add to it.. For example one of the "features" I want to add was recommended to me by a tunershop recently. Tuners often change the same set of DTC's over and over again.. What if they could just load a DTC map that would set certain DTC's how they wanted? It sure would be a big time saver for a tuner.

Our beta tests where not done publicly. Beta testing isn't even an issue anymore. We past the beta stage quite some time ago.

SeaHawk, please keep in mind that we also provide you with an advanced scan tool software as well.

Slowhawk, if you want to do just the V8 F and Y cars for the years you specified

Matt, we are working very hard on the V6 stuff right now. I hope to be ready to ship V6 products in 1 month.

If any of you have questions and wish to contact me off the forum my e-mail address is keith@hptuners.com, thanks!

- Keith
Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First I'd like to say we are now offering 1 year free software upgrades for all orders placed through March 13'th.. You asked for it and you got it!
So will this also apply to the 98 and other model years when they are released or do you plan on releasing the 98 and other years before or on March 13th(which I know will not be the case from your previous posts) if not, that offer is only a decent one.....
But I can live with a year of free upgrades, before having to sink more money into this tool.... if this offer is extended to all the "other" years that weren't included in the inital release.

How bout, 1 year free upgrades to anyone who buys your product PERIOD. After a year you will be making money anyway from the upgrades and regular sales to customers and tunershops.

Thanks for listening to peoples request on the 1 year/update issue and making good on it, that was excellent of you to do.

Its good to have a CHOICE now, who will it be?
J
Old 03-05-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply, Keith. Responding to customer feedback seems to be a big plus for your camp.

I'll sit on the fence a while longer and enjoy the show.. Sock it to 'em!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

frcefed98, excellent quesiton.. We'll do the same incentive plan whenever we release new vehicle types.. How's that sound!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

COOL THANKS! I was going to buy your product anyway though, you've proven to be honest,cool and personable here on the board in every post. That makes a huge difference in deciding where my money goes.
Now get off the board and start cracking the whip on those who are doing the 98 and v6 programming.
Jeremy
Old 03-05-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

While I like the competition, I think $899 for two cars is kinda steep. I'll wait to see what EFILive is going to come up with before I decide on my purchase.

Can this cable ever be resold? If so, what's the charge to make it virgin again?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Minivette, the cables can definately be resold. There is absolutely no locking to your specific vehicle.. It's only limited to the vehicle type that you purchase.. If you buy a package for a 02 V8 F-body, you can do as many 02 V8 f-bodies as you like.. if you ever sell your car you can then sell your cable to another 02 V8 f-body owner.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool... I like that part alot. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sgarnett
Keith, do you need a real serial port or will a "port replicator" connected through USB work? In other words, do you play nice with the windows driver or need to bit-bang the hardware directly?
?????
Old 03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A USB to Serial port converter will do just fine. Just make sure you use a quality device. I have heard of issues with lesser quality USB-RS232 converters.

- Keith

Quick Reply: HP Tuners is now accepting orders.