PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New design 4L60E has different electronics 2008+

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well It looks like I'm going to give up on this 2009 trans and start hunting for another of the correct year(around 2001).

I came accross a thread in the "Performance Trucks" at the top of the page here that had gone through this same issue. They wound up swapping the valve body and many other parts over on the trans to make it work. I dont want to waste this low mileage trans. So I will just sell it to get the one I need.

Thanks again to everyone that help and provided information!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joecar
They also added the ISS.
This may be a key here.

I have now decided to swap to a 4L80E just to get this thing together so I can drive it. I have purchased the 4L80E and needed parts. As I'm preparing for this trans to go in with the speartech harness kit, it appears to have a lot of similarities to the '09 4L60E trans that I just took out of it. Like the ISS... I guess I need to slow down... but I dont see that happening. Too much being requested...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

I posted a similar thread a year ago:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-solenoid.html

My solution was to buy a newish (2001?) 4L60E core, remove the throttle body from it, and use it in my 2010 4L65E. It worked fine! I installed a new wiring harness, solenoids and pressure swithc for a 2005 4L60E. I also installed the TransGo HD2-C shift kit at this time. I used the throttle body spacer plate from the 2010 4L65E. I have put thousands of miles on this Franken-trans and 50+ track runs without problems. I'm sure there were other details, but it was doable. IMHO, other than using a 2009+ TCM, I don't think you can get a PCM to control the trans. The 3-2 solenoid and all the related hydraulic lines/logic are missing from the 2009+ valve body; perhaps the 2009+ TCM is now performing this logic.

EDIT: Correction 1 - I mean to say "valve body" not throttle body.
Correction 2 - I used the separator plate (not throttle body plate) for a 2001 trans. I did not use the 2010 separator plate; good thing because I just learned that it has an extra hole (called PE?) which would cause problems with a 2001 valve body.

Last edited by mrvedit; 03-15-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I posted a similar thread a year ago:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-solenoid.html

My solution was to buy a newish (2001?) 4L60E core, remove the throttle body from it, and use it in my 2010 4L65E. It worked fine! I installed a new wiring harness, solenoids and pressure swithc for a 2005 4L60E. I also installed the TransGo HD2-C shift kit at this time. I used the throttle body spacer plate from the 2010 4L65E. I have put thousands of miles on this Franken-trans and 50+ track runs without problems. I'm sure there were other details, but it was doable. IMHO, other than using a 2009+ TCM, I don't think you can get a PCM to control the trans. The 3-2 solenoid and all the related hydraulic lines/logic are missing from the 2009+ valve body; perhaps the 2009+ TCM is now performing this logic.
Sorry for the greatly delayed response. Life gets busy man!

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thats good info.

I wound up just putting in a 2002 4L80E for durability as a truck to tow my Carmaro around.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Good to hear that you got it running with a sturdy 4L80E.

Also, I just updated by 12/16/2011 post as it had a few errors in it.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing this thread back from oblivion

I'm having this same issue now. 2010 4L60E with 2005 PCM in a swapped S10
If I don't mess with the tune, the trans shifts from 1st to 3rd and stay there, not 4th. Will not downshift until truck is turned off and restarted.
If I delete the 2 trans DTCs (P1018 and P0785), then it behaves different. It will start and stay in 2nd no matter what. Will not upshift at all.

I can command the shifts using HPT scanner and all gears work as they should, even the TCC works. This made me think this problem could be solved with tuning, but I have used every OS I have without success. Tried all settings in the tune but PCM isn't using the shift tables. Deleting DTCs only made things worse.
Every solution I found on Google was to change the trans to a pre 07 model. Im sure the PCM can control it since it upshifts and downshifts fine with the scanner, however something is bothering it and it's just not commanding the shifts. Like a limp mode

Does anybody have new information?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Bringing this thread back from oblivion

I'm having this same issue now. 2010 4L60E with 2005 PCM in a swapped S10
If I don't mess with the tune, the trans shifts from 1st to 3rd and stay there, not 4th. Will not downshift until truck is turned off and restarted.
If I delete the 2 trans DTCs (P1018 and P0785), then it behaves different. It will start and stay in 2nd no matter what. Will not upshift at all.

I can command the shifts using HPT scanner and all gears work as they should, even the TCC works. This made me think this problem could be solved with tuning, but I have used every OS I have without success. Tried all settings in the tune but PCM isn't using the shift tables. Deleting DTCs only made things worse.
Every solution I found on Google was to change the trans to a pre 07 model. Im sure the PCM can control it since it upshifts and downshifts fine with the scanner, however something is bothering it and it's just not commanding the shifts. Like a limp mode

Does anybody have new information?

Thanks
Good luck! Let us know what you find. I think Mrvedit's reply about two up was the best answer, hanging out the valve body.

Maybe someone else will reply with a different experience also.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 PM

While I am sorry to hear that your efforts were for naught, it is good to learn that this issue cannot be "tuned" away.
How did you deal with the harness/connector changes?
The 2010 uses a mechanical shifter switch instead of the Manifold Pressure Switch; I don't know how different that looks to the PCM.

Getting a compatible valve body is easy - I have bought several from ebay seller "powertrainpartsplus"; I see a nice '08 there now for $68 and a '03 rebuilt one for $150. You will also need the separator plate - Transgo 46-PLT-96, gaskets and a new internal harness for the Manifold Pressure Switch.

PM me if you want me to look at links for other Valve Bodies, or want to call me to go over everything.
The following users liked this post:
Tahoe008 (05-06-2023)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, for the connector changes I just compared the two diagrams, one from 2005 and the other from 2010 and made the changes. Pretty easy, the trans connector can be disassembled and the pins changed.
I'm thinking the limp mode in the PCM is what makes this problem un-tunable. Since I can make the upshifts and downshift and control the TCC in the scanner, the PCM should be able to make on its own, it's just something preventing it from entering the proper operating mode.
I'm going to try to simulate the missing solenoid with a resistor and test again.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Well, for the connector changes I just compared the two diagrams, one from 2005 and the other from 2010 and made the changes....
I'm going to try to simulate the missing solenoid with a resistor and test again.
Good to know that the connector pins can be changed.
Simulating the missing solenoid with a resistor sounds like a great idea.
The '96+ 3-2 downshift solenoid is supposed to be 20-31 ohms. So a 10 watt 22 or 27 ohms resistor should do it.

http://www.parts-express.com/22-ohm-...erance--016-22
Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone ever come up with solution to this?
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,250 Likes on 874 Posts

You should really start your own thread, when the thread you are looking at has been idle for the last four years...

I do not believe the modern electronics 4L60/65/70/75E transmissions can be properly controlled by older generation PCMs/ TCMs.
There is just too many electronic changes between the different year transmissions.

The older units (excluding the first few years) have:

-Fluid pressure manifold/ switch assembly with thermistor
-Fluid pressure control solenoid
-First-Second shift solenoid
-Second-Third shift solenoid
-Third-Second rate control solenoid (PWM)
-TCC apply solenoid
-TCC rate control solenoid (PWM)
-Output speed senor/ vehicle speed sensor (in transfer case on four wheel drive vehicles)
As well as a Park/ Neutral and Reverse lights switch assembly.

The newest units (2008 and up with change-over in 2006-2007) have a different valve-body and have:

-Internal mode switch
-Fluid pressure control solenoid
-First-Second shift solenoid
-Second-Third shift solenoid
-Input speed senor
-Fluid temperature sensor
-TCC apply solenoid
-TCC rate control solenoid (PWM)
-Output speed senor/ vehicle speed sensor (in transfer case on four wheel drive vehicles)

Going to an aftermarket/ standalone controller works well and has become quite simple for the last decade if not longer.
For an inexpensive solution that works well; I would recommend the: US Shift Quick 4 controller.
The controller is aprox. $600.
If you are not able to produce a wiring-harness for yourself... expect to pay an additional $150.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: New design 4L60E has different electronics 2008+