Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I change PCM VIN with a Tech II

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I change PCM VIN with a Tech II

Can
I change the Vin in a junkyard 12200411 with a Tech II ? It seems to work, I read target PCM and told it the vin was incorrect, started SPS and entered the correct VIN. It built the download with all the cal files I need. Then I shoved it into the PCM. The new VIN shows up until I power down the PCM then it reverts back to the old one. Can this be done?
Attached Thumbnails Can I change PCM VIN with a Tech II-cf360.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC, you need to:
Change VIN
Turn ignition power off to the PCM for 30 sec,
turn it on for 30 more sec
off another 30
on another 30
then the VIN is changed

Only cut ignition power, like turning the key off. If you just kill all power it won't change the VIN
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Teching In

did you click "replace and program" in sps, or just "reprogram"?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 AM

I did a replace and program. the new vin gets shoved in there somewhere because I can disconnect and power off the tech II hook it back up and read my new VIN out. It reverts to the old when I disconnect battery power. I think I will get it off my electronics workbench and into a vehicle. That way I can toggle the IGN power like MontecarloDrag suggests and be sure I have all the other connections I need. That is unless there is a schematic of the off board programming adapter somewhere that I can use to check my setup.

Thanks All
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delco
I did a replace and program. the new vin gets shoved in there somewhere because I can disconnect and power off the tech II hook it back up and read my new VIN out. It reverts to the old when I disconnect battery power. I think I will get it off my electronics workbench and into a vehicle. That way I can toggle the IGN power like MontecarloDrag suggests and be sure I have all the other connections I need. That is unless there is a schematic of the off board programming adapter somewhere that I can use to check my setup.

Thanks All

pin 19 is the switched 12v you need to turn off for 30 seconds after selecting a new vin#

looks like your asking to kill a pcm with all those clips and doing a flash
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Switching pin 19 alone did not cause the VIN to be saved. Pin 75 also had to be switched. There is not much info out there on pin 75 on the 12200411 PCM that I can find. Most pinouts I have seen indicate not used but any vehicle wiring diagram for this unit shows it switched off in "lock" still hot in "off". I switched both 19 and 75 and the new vin was saved. I used this info to my advantage by flashing the box with a 2002 vin and flash, when loaded I powered off the PCM so the new 2002 vin would not be saved and my old 2001 vin would still be there with the 2002 calibration. This gets rid of the secondary air injection crap that was not used in 02 on my vehicle but saves my old vin so all the other modules are still happy.

I hope I didnt scare anyone with my "FrankenFlash" setup. I cleaned it up a little bit. The 411 PCM is pretty hardy. I used to maintain some of the equipment used to build these on the assembly line. Kind of took for granted having access to the engineers and info that made these things tick, now that is all history for me, what little that is left of the old Delco in Kokomo In. will be gone to China soon I'm afraid.
Attached Thumbnails Can I change PCM VIN with a Tech II-cf360-003.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Tek is about to fall off your bench...
Old 09-10-2016, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Delco
Switching pin 19 alone did not cause the VIN to be saved. Pin 75 also had to be switched. There is not much info out there on pin 75 on the 12200411 PCM that I can find. Most pinouts I have seen indicate not used but any vehicle wiring diagram for this unit shows it switched off in "lock" still hot in "off". I switched both 19 and 75 and the new vin was saved. I used this info to my advantage by flashing the box with a 2002 vin and flash, when loaded I powered off the PCM so the new 2002 vin would not be saved and my old 2001 vin would still be there with the 2002 calibration. This gets rid of the secondary air injection crap that was not used in 02 on my vehicle but saves my old vin so all the other modules are still happy.

I hope I didnt scare anyone with my "FrankenFlash" setup. I cleaned it up a little bit. The 411 PCM is pretty hardy. I used to maintain some of the equipment used to build these on the assembly line. Kind of took for granted having access to the engineers and info that made these things tick, now that is all history for me, what little that is left of the old Delco in Kokomo In. will be gone to China soon I'm afraid.
damn you werent lying. china is manufacturing acdelco parts now. is there an easier way to change the vin on a bench harness?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:25 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recognize the 2 way watt meter, well over a quarter century back for me
Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Not to state the obvious; but surely you have one of the aftermarket reprogramming devices. EFI Live has a VIN change option that works as easily as a reflash....no pins to back out. It even allows some variation in VINs where you might include odd-ball numbers/letters in the serial part of the VIN.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
damn you werent lying. china is manufacturing acdelco parts now. is there an easier way to change the vin on a bench harness?
We mostly use EFI Live for changing VINS, it works really well.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
We mostly use EFI Live for changing VINS, it works really well.
How lenient is EFI vs hptuners? I have hptuners but this credit crap is burning a hole in my pockets to do simple stuff .
Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How lenient is EFI vs hptuners? I have hptuners but this credit crap is burning a hole in my pockets to do simple stuff .
EFI has you only license the PCM, so after the PCM is licensed it doesn't mater what you change
Old 09-10-2016, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You can change the VIN with EFI without licensing the PCM on most applications. If you want to make any change to anything in the actual tune you have to license it with EFI or HPT. EFI Live $125 vs HPT $99. The way the licensing is handled between the two is done a little differently, EFI your licensing the pcm where HPT your licensing the actual file so its possible to you more than one license on the same pcm.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With EFILive you use the scantool to change the VIN... this requires no licenses.

Last edited by joecar; 09-11-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HP Tuners won't let you put a VIN in a calibration that is not a valid VIN for that MY OS. If another tuning solution creates the VIN/OS mismatch, the newer versions of HP Tuners will allow you to license the mismatched VIN/OS. I use Tunercat OBD2 to change VINs.

Quick Reply: Can I change PCM VIN with a Tech II