PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e swap, what way saves creidits??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80e swap, what way saves creidits??

Ok, will try to make sense here. I first started out with a truck harness, and PCM from a 2000/6.0/ 4L80e/4wheel drive. Sent stock PCM to LT1swap to have VATs removed.
Then I upgraded called Frost ordered another PCM with the tune on it, and a HPTpro. I was running a TH350, so the tune is for a M6 from him 2bar SD.
I've never used my HPT on the stock PCM, I'm running frost PCM. OK I upgraded the car again, and I added a 4L80e. A friend sent me his tune for a 4l80e, and we have the same setup almost. Being that Im not great with tuning to use his tune would be great, but I would need to reflash the whole PCM in my car for it to run the 4L80.
While the stock PCM that came with my engine has the 4L80 in it, I would use more credits if I use it because I never hook my HPT to it right? Then use credits to use my friends tune right?
Do I leave the Frost PCM in the car, flash my friend tune in, then I wont need to use credits to access that PCM cause I already use it?
What I'm asking is will the stock PCM that I've never use ask for credits, and then have to use credits to use my friends tune? Sorry so long!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You're going to use credits no mater what you do. If you were to tune one of your pcm's with your friends cable, you'd need to license the pcm to his cable and then if you turn around and want to make some changes to the tune using your cable, you will need to also license it to your cable and use more credits
Old 07-04-2013, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you used the cable on any pcms yet? Just licence it to the pcm in car, open the Frost tune. Open your friends tune in the compare and copy the trans part to your tune. you will only use 2 credits.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 86MonteSSLS-1
Have you used the cable on any pcms yet? Just licence it to the pcm in car, open the Frost tune. Open your friends tune in the compare and copy the trans part to your tune. you will only use 2 credits.
HP said that the tune in my PCM now is the wrong OS for the 4L80 swap, Ive used the HP on the PCM in my car, but never on the one that came with the engine. I use it on the Frost PCM to fine tune AFR. Will I need to rewrite my entire PCM to used my friends tune. I cant use his cable because he live in TX, and I live in GA. My friends tune has the OS to run the 4L80, and 3bar SD,with 80lb injt, my PCM has a tune for a 2bar SD, 60lb injt, M6, so I can run a TH350. Im installing a 4L80. Will the HP allow me to rewrite entire tune so I can run his tune?

Last edited by MillsMotorvation; 07-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Launching!

You would most likely have to do a segment swap to run a 4L60E in your tune. I think HPT is telling you there never was a trans segment for a 4L80E that matches your OS. I'm making the assumsion that Frost used a COS to give you your 2 bar tune. If HPT works like EFI Live, you need to swap segments before appling the custom operating system. So it looks like your best bet might be to see what Frost can do for you. Even if your buddy's tune is for a 2 bar and you use that for your base tune, depending on yours and his OS's you might not be able to easily put your engine calibration in his tune.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
You would most likely have to do a segment swap to run a 4L60E in your tune. I think HPT is telling you there never was a trans segment for a 4L80E that matches your OS. I'm making the assumsion that Frost used a COS to give you your 2 bar tune. If HPT works like EFI Live, you need to swap segments before appling the custom operating system. So it looks like your best bet might be to see what Frost can do for you. Even if your buddy's tune is for a 2 bar and you use that for your base tune, depending on yours and his OS's you might not be able to easily put your engine calibration in his tune.
Ok, Im not sure of all the abbreviations, but my I was thinking I can just use my friends whole tune, and change the injt flow rate then it will work. Are you saying that wont work? Are you saying I cant flash his entire tune to my PCM?
Also I emailed Frost, and he said do to my upgrades, he don't want to touch my tune unless I get a ERL block!! Because my 408 will push the heads off. I reallay think that's not his concern if I blow my engine! I have spend a lot of money with him. Just give me what I pay for. That's why Im looking for a new person to help me do the tune swap, or tell me how I can do it myself.

Last edited by MillsMotorvation; 07-05-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Give us a call on Monday, we can take of it but its way much to type and and try to explain on here. Much easier to explain over the phone.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Give us a call on Monday, we can take of it but its way much to type and and try to explain on here. Much easier to explain over the phone.
Ok, will do thanks, again!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Pacer Racer;17523434]You would most likely have to do a segment swap to run a 4L60E in your tune.
How do you do a segment swap???
Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Launching!

If its a HPT you need them to do it and IIRC they make you supply the segments to swap in. If you're using EFI Live or Tuner Cat you can do it yourself, but you need a copy of an OS with same number as yours that contains a module for in your case that supports a 4L80E. A lot of people run the 411 pcm with the 2002 OS number 2156 because it came with modules for both 5 and 6 speed manuals, plus both 4L60E's and 4L80E's. There are also modules to support both PWM and C2DB fuel gauges.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I got the tune flashed to my car, but it starts and shut right off. He had 3bar and 80lb inject, I have 60lb injector, and changed from 2bar to his 3bar. Ive changed injector info but it still shuts off. What am I missing, is the 3bar got a different scale, and making the car flood?
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
New MAP LSXtune.hpl (3.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks like you dont have the right map sensor
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

May be try another one.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Help?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dang VATS were on!!! Thanks everyone, time for some fine tuning.

Quick Reply: 4L80e swap, what way saves creidits??