PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying HPTuners What Wide Band O2 Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying HPTuners What Wide Band O2 Should I Get?

OK so im gonna be ordering HPTuners pretty soon and i want to know what wide band O2 sensors everyone would suggest. Also is there a wide band sensor that is self powered. Basically im trying not to wire in a A/F gauge. Just looking for opinions and advice. So feel free to give me suggestions on wtb. Also am i gonna need anything else besides the program and wide bands? Thanks in advance guys
Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

NGK AFX, put the box in the glove box and dont even look at it. Wire the analog output in to either EGR or if you are going with a Pro cable you can hook it into the aux input on the cable.

The refresh rate on the display is slow however the analog output is instant. It is the most accurate wideband on the market for under $500. It is capable of using the standard Bosch LSU sensors but natively use the NTK sensors which IMO are better.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
NGK AFX, put the box in the glove box and dont even look at it. Wire the analog output in to either EGR or if you are going with a Pro cable you can hook it into the aux input on the cable.

The refresh rate on the display is slow however the analog output is instant. It is the most accurate wideband on the market for under $500. It is capable of using the standard Bosch LSU sensors but natively use the NTK sensors which IMO are better.
Thanks for the advice now where do i put the actual wide band o2 sensors.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

The sensor itself goes in the exhaust. The NGK is simple, it has a harness with two pigtails. One set is the power and ground and the other goes to the sensor. This harness plugs into the box which is the display and controller. There is two wires (yellow and brown) that break out of the harness right off the box that is your analog output and analog ground.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

So if im understanding this correctly basically i plug it into my egr for power then the other end goes into my display and laptop? I looked at the system and it looks like a single sensor. Where in the exhaust would i place the single sensor for the most accurate reading. Sorry for all the noob questions im just trying to learn.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am no expert on which is best ,but I bought an Innovate LM2. I would not advise this as it does way more data logging stuff than I would ever need because HPT does all of that stuff anyway. I also don't like how jumpy it seems to be. I wish I had done more research before I purchased. As far as a gauge to permanently affix to a pillar pod I like the AEM analog gauge because it matches my factory gauges really well and I don't like digital displays all in my face. If you were tuning a carbed car I would say go LM2.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Ok thanks for the advice. Basically im looking for a wide band that i can put in when i want to tune and then take out when i dont wanna tune. See i live in socal and when cops see pod gauges they wanna look under ur hood and i dont want em under my hood. Any other systems i might want to look into. Also what is a good affordable laptop to use just for tuning cause im in the market for one and i dont think my mac is compatible with HP Tuners. Also anyone use the tuner school at home program cause i was thinking about getting that when i get my HP Tuners.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister_Z28
So if im understanding this correctly basically i plug it into my egr for power then the other end goes into my display and laptop? I looked at the system and it looks like a single sensor. Where in the exhaust would i place the single sensor for the most accurate reading. Sorry for all the noob questions im just trying to learn.
What he is speaking of with the EGR, is that you can connect the output of your wideband to the EGR wire in your engine bay, and then with HpTuners, setup a config that uses your EGR voltage as the wideband signal. Works pretty well, that is how I have it set up in my car. Good luck,
Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
What he is speaking of with the EGR, is that you can connect the output of your wideband to the EGR wire in your engine bay, and then with HpTuners, setup a config that uses your EGR voltage as the wideband signal. Works pretty well, that is how I have it set up in my car. Good luck,
So would i be splicing into my egr wire or just plugging the sensor wire into my egr connector?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

I went to the tuning school when they came to Texas. I suggest getting the ciricullum a few months ahead of time so you can get your questions loaded for the live seminar. It is well worth it. Also it was a blast of a weekend.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Splicing, the brown wire is the one you want... cant remember right now if it was the solid brown or the brown with stripe, either way you'll know if you got the right one or not. I connected to the other one when I installed mine and the result is pretty apparent when you have the wrong one...lol
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Alright guys thanks for all the explaining and responses. As someone mentioned earlier i am planning on getting the at home class from The Tuning School but i guess ill order that ahead of my hp tuners.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sinister_Z28
Alright guys thanks for all the explaining and responses. As someone mentioned earlier i am planning on getting the at home class from The Tuning School but i guess ill order that ahead of my hp tuners.
In all reality, you'll probably want to have BOTH the study materials and HPtuners at the same time to follow along. It's not required, but it sure makes things a whole lot easier to understand and navigate.

+1 on the NGX AFX wideband. It's made by ECM, and rivals units costing 10x the amount. It's not a true "lab grade" wideband, but it does the job better than ANY other "budget" wideband on the market.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
In all reality, you'll probably want to have BOTH the study materials and HPtuners at the same time to follow along. It's not required, but it sure makes things a whole lot easier to understand and navigate.

+1 on the NGX AFX wideband. It's made by ECM, and rivals units costing 10x the amount. It's not a true "lab grade" wideband, but it does the job better than ANY other "budget"
wideband on the market.
The tuning school will give a dicount for package deals.

Quick Reply: Buying HPTuners What Wide Band O2 Should I Get?