PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

dang, still uses the push connect fittings. i guess that's easier than guessing at what range to rescale to with the ford sensor
Old 06-22-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
dang, still uses the push connect fittings. i guess that's easier than guessing at what range to rescale to with the ford sensor
I'm told by several people and reliable sources the Ford sensor uses the same range as the GM sensor. I have one sitting on the shelf from a junked Taurus that has thread in connectors but I've been too busy to install it.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled across this, hopefully not too old for a revival. lol Has anyone switched from the red/blue pcm to the green/blue pcm in order to run a COS with flex fuel capabilites? I have searched around for the last couple days without much luck.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
Just stumbled across this, hopefully not too old for a revival. lol Has anyone switched from the red/blue pcm to the green/blue pcm in order to run a COS with flex fuel capabilites? I have searched around for the last couple days without much luck.
This is what I'm working on right now. Im going with a 2005 express pcm and os. This should give me DBC, flex fuel and 3 bar capabilities.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
This is what I'm working on right now. Im going with a 2005 express pcm and os. This should give me DBC, flex fuel and 3 bar capabilities.
Keep us posted, I could see quite a few interested people if it works as smooth as I think it would.

I actually posted some more info on this in the other thread you had posted in as well ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...flex-fuel.html
Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel

Keep us posted, I could see quite a few interested people if it works as smooth as I think it would.

I actually posted some more info on this in the other thread you had posted in as well ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...flex-fuel.html
I'll be sure to update this thread when I make some more progress. The car is done except for the engine harness, so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have some solid info for you guys.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah be sure to post up the details. Ill be working on something of my own once i get the car tuned
Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Its HPtuner's decision.
It's not their decision, it's a limit of the available memory space in the PCM...since there's flex fuel stuff in there, there's less space for a 3-bar VE table.

The newer (blue green) pcm's have twice as much memory...which is why they can support both.

HPTuners at least gave that PCM/OS 2 bar support. EFILive has no COS support for that OS.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
It's not their decision, it's a limit of the available memory space in the PCM...since there's flex fuel stuff in there, there's less space for a 3-bar VE table.

The newer (blue green) pcm's have twice as much memory...which is why they can support both.

HPTuners at least gave that PCM/OS 2 bar support. EFILive has no COS support for that OS.
Yes but efilive supports 3 bar on the newer p59 flex fuel os's where as hpt only lists 2bar

Not saying one is better than the other i have both as well as tunercat

Having all the tuners is better than having one

On a side note I will be doing a p59 pcm flex fuel 3 bar running a 5.3 turbo in a sn95 mustang as my next project.

My current ride is using a flex fuel sensor with a e38 pcm (4.8 turbo in a 03 wrangler) and it is great being able to switch back and forth without having to worry about finding e85 everywhere I go as well as compensating for e85 mixture variations (seeing 62 to 83 percent station to station)
Old 08-20-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by scotte

Yes but efilive supports 3 bar on the newer p59 flex fuel os's where as hpt only lists 2bar

Not saying one is better than the other i have both as well as tunercat

Having all the tuners is better than having one

On a side note I will be doing a p59 pcm flex fuel 3 bar running a 5.3 turbo in a sn95 mustang as my next project.

My current ride is using a flex fuel sensor with a e38 pcm (4.8 turbo in a 03 wrangler) and it is great being able to switch back and forth without having to worry about finding e85 everywhere I go as well as compensating for e85 mixture variations (seeing 62 to 83 percent station to station)
Actually, hptuners does have a 3 bar option for flex fuel p59 OS. That's what I'm using for my build.

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Actually, hptuners does have a 3 bar option for flex fuel p59 OS. That's what I'm using for my build.

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck.
thanks

on the p59 file

what osid#?

dbw or dbc?

you happen to have a hptuners file from it??

i tried a bunch of different truck and van p59 files and could never find one with 3 bar support in hpt ( i prefer hpt for gen 3 tuning) i use efilive for gen 4 tuning due to virtual ve) and the occasional engine swap that needs a non os matching vin (efilive will let you write a jeep vin into a gm pcm)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

2005 (and just about all other 2003-2007 years) Silverado is a P59 that's flex fuel and 3-bar capable with HPTuners, DBW. 2004 GTO and 2005 Vans are both P59's that are flex fuel, 3 bar capable and DBC.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

here is an 05 express file..
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
2005 express van 4.8 4l80e.hpt (548.1 KB, 380 views)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

here is an 05 express file..
that is not a flex fuel calibration

the calibration may be flex fuel capable (requires a tuning software that can turn flex fuel on and enable the real sensor option (otherwise you get that stupid virtual flex fuel crap)
in the p59 pcm hptuners won't do either

i know tunercat will and i think efilive may

on factory flex fuel pcm's the stoich table is filled out with the correct values
(not 14.68 across the table)
Attached Thumbnails Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody-flex-fuel.jpg  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Would it not be a simple thing to just copy one of those tables over after enabling the capability? I mean it is not like the guys like myself that are running 3 bar speed density are going to use a stock table anyways.....
Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sarg
Would it not be a simple thing to just copy one of those tables over after enabling the capability? I mean it is not like the guys like myself that are running 3 bar speed density are going to use a stock table anyways.....
the tables just copy over enabling flex fuel via hp tuners is pretty much impossible. if you don't have access to something that can you had best start with a flex fuel file

the thing is sometimes there are other tables that none of the tuning company's have given us access to that need to be populated for flex fuel to work correctly

i have yet to see a dbc p59 file with factory flex fuel

you would want to use a stock flex fuel stoich afr vs alcohol table as it is setup correctly
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by scotte
the tables just copy over enabling flex fuel via hp tuners is pretty much impossible. if you don't have access to something that can you had best start with a flex fuel file

the thing is sometimes there are other tables that none of the tuning company's have given us access to that need to be populated for flex fuel to work correctly

i have yet to see a dbc p59 file with factory flex fuel

you would want to use a stock flex fuel stoich afr vs alcohol table as it is setup correctly
Ok. Here is a file from a 2005 avalanche with the flex fuel 5.3..

This is a factory flex fuel calibration. It shares the same operating system as the express van does however it is not DBC. It is a DBW calibration. They share all the same tables and the express file does have all the same ethanol tables. I guess I'm not seeing your point that this will not work with Hptuners.

Why Can't a fuel composition sensor be added and be functional with the express file? Many other gen 3 applications have added the sensor and enabled it through Hptuners.

Last edited by bigmandengo; 08-21-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

almost forgot!
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
2005 flex fuel 5.3 avalanche.hpt (547.6 KB, 303 views)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. Here is a file from a 2005 avalanche with the flex fuel 5.3..

This is a factory flex fuel calibration. It shares the same operating system as the express van does however it is not DBC. It is a DBW calibration. They share all the same tables and the express file does have all the same ethanol tables. I guess I'm not seeing your point that this will not work with Hptuners.

Why Can't a fuel composition sensor be added and be functional with the express file? Many other applications have added the sensor and enabled it through Hptuners.
and where might that flex fuel enable switch be?

also where do you select virtual vs real sensor??

i have yet to see either on any p59 file with hp tuners

here it is in efilive
Attached Thumbnails Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody-flex-fuel-2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

From my research HPTuners has the ability to enable E85 the same as EFILive. 1st pic

Not all OS's have the ability to select a real sensor vs virtual like your pic, just as you said the tuning suites don't show us everything. 2nd pic

It is also my understanding that early flex fuel vehicles only used the sensor 2003-2005 not the virtual calculation. Just what I have seen, definitely open to more input on this.
Attached Thumbnails Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody-hptuners-flex-fuel-enable.jpg   Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody-efilive-flex-fuel.jpg  

Last edited by Agent_Orange_Shuvel; 08-22-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add attachments

Quick Reply: Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody