Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuner / gear ratio / 3.29 / 06 Monte Carlo SS 5.3V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HP tuner / gear ratio / 3.29 / 06 Monte Carlo SS 5.3V8

Does anyone have the exact Steps to tune the speedo in the HP Tuner software. Its not as simple as just changing the numbers to 3.29 , the tables do not turn out right and the VSS pulse does not turn out right either.

From reviewing Daves post@ Hp Tuners 3.67 can be used and then used to auto calculate the shift tables , Then change the VSS to 101390. and then change the "Final Drive ratio "ratio" back to 1.00,

on the "speedometer page" on HP tuners there are 2 area's that are 1.00 Under Final Drive ratio

Ratio
Trans Both display 1.00

When changing the Gear to 3.67 and pushing Commit all of those entries under FInal Drive ratio go to 3.67 , but after reading daves post 1 of them should still read 1.00 , According to daves post 3.67 is needed to make the shift tables work out correct because apparently HP Tuners does not work right for FWD applications in the 4T65

Any insight would be greatly appreciated , thanks , here is davids post i've been referring to

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...la-SS-Monte-SS

Anyone got any input , thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, go to Speedometer>General>Final Drive Ratio>Trans and enter the stock 3.29 gear ratio (in place of the 1.00). Don't touch any other fields! Next, close & reopen the Speedo tab and click the Gear/Tire Calc tab. Now enter your new gear ratio or tire size and click the Commit button.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok , i did that , now everything under final drive ratio says 3.67 , should i change any of them back to 1 or are they all fine being 3.67

The VSS looks good 101390
The D1 table looks good , 45MPH before a forced 1 to 2nd gear change

"I usually refer to the D1 table to see how the tables adjusted"
Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way THANK YOU! for the reponse
Old 10-29-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Ok , i did that , now everything under final drive ratio says 3.67 , should i change any of them back to 1 or are they all fine being 3.67

The VSS looks good 101390
The D1 table looks good , 45MPH before a forced 1 to 2nd gear change

"I usually refer to the D1 table to see how the tables adjusted"
I assume you have a 3.67 gear ratio now? And after you enter your new gear ratio or tire size, any field that was 1.00 will now be the same as your new gear ratio. That's normal.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

No , i had a chain change in my 4T65 so now my ratio is 2.93 to 3.29 , But according to Dave @ Triple edge performance you have to use 3.67 as the ratio you commit for everything to work out correctly.

This is his reasoning in his post behind it

Dave posted
"Long ago I found that placing 3.69 for the gear ratio for 3.29s in the upper table will automatically recal all of the shift and tcc mph tables and everything is pretty close doing this. Why do I use 3.69? Because mathematically it works out to the same difference as 3.29 to 2.93 and since there is no sprocket ratio conversion it is a cake walk to enter a false gear ratio and everything plays together just fine this way. It is also much easier to change just one number, the gear ratio, than to manually go in and correct everything and this works very well right off the batt."

Later he discovered that 3.67 worked better then 3.69
Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

No , i had a chain change in my 4T65 so now my ratio is 2.93 to 3.29 , But according to Dave @ Triple edge performance you have to use 3.67 as the ratio you commit for everything to work out correctly.
Ok, that sounds right. That also applies to the older GTP's. And a lot of people changed the drive sprocket ratio to 1.00 instead of changing the new gear ratio to 3.69. And they had a lot of trans issues. Good thing the drive sprocket field is omitted on your vehicle.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-30-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Russ K
Ok, that sounds right. That also applies to the older GTP's. And a lot of people changed the drive sprocket ratio to 1.00 instead of changing the new gear ratio to 3.69. And they had a lot of trans issues. Good thing the drive sprocket field is omitted on your vehicle.

Russ Kemp
This did not work , it caused my speedo to be off so i had to change the "ratio" back to 1.00 after giving it the 3.67 Change

Now my speedo match's my rear wheel speed "almost"

But now when i give it about 80% throttle the car flash's off for a second and throws a traction control error , the error says Anti lock break control module and TCM lost connection with the PCM so it appears this module like crash's , also throws another error instrument panel lost connection with ECU

Anyone got any idea why it would Cause the car to blink off and back on when giving 80% throttle , happens in any gear unless i hold it in first gear and do it. Its as if the traction control is trying to kick in and do something but it does not like it and resets itself then throws that error. also seems to do it on a loaded 80% throttle downshift vs a cruise downshift

Last edited by Sint3k; 10-30-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Post your tune, and I'll take a look at it. Do you still have the stock dia tires?

Russ Kemp
Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post your tune, and I'll take a look at it. Do you still have the stock dia tires?

Russ Kemp

Yes i still have the stock tires, i thought it may of been an issue with a ground wire for the Brake control module or cluster cause the errors say the lost connection with the PCM , but all the grounds are good , voltage drop tested them , this can be inaccurate sence they are not under load , however im about to run a Traction enable test on the wheels to see if it causes any weird voltage drop

Click on the link below to download the tune

Thanks again

http://1drv.ms/1wL0ARP
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a data log of the pids i was monitoring , the modules crashed at the last 3 seconds as i was ramping up to 80% throttle you can see how the data just ends right when everything restarted

http://1drv.ms/1yKQJfg
Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

no idea whats wrong , car runs fine and downshifts and upshifts and drives fine until you get it heavy throttle , if i loaded the stock tune should it still perform this type of behavior and just throw some wheel speed sensor code or is this normal for traction control to disable itself when something is off

After reviewing the codes its definalty something with the speedo it looks like traction control is geting in and the anti lock brake system with tcs "brake control module" is showing Invalid data as the symptom , causing the module to restart

Last edited by Sint3k; 10-30-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

The C0561 code just means that the traction control is disabled due to the symptom 71 (invalid serial data received/signal validity bit indicates failure) and symptom 72 (alive counter incorrect/not updated)

Do you have any after market ALDL or DLC interface devices hooked up to the ALDL connector? As there is a GM TSB #13-08-116-001A about these devices that can cause a C0561 code and the U0100 & U0101 codes.

Looking at your scan, the calculated gear ratio in 3rd gear is mostly correct at 1.00, but drops at times to .64

Russ Kemp

Last edited by Russ K; 10-31-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have the DLC interface in the car while this is happening , ive yet to try the car without a data logger hooked up
But would this cause the Locks to cycle and dash lights to restart

Do you have any idea why it would drop to .64 ? this happens when i let off the gas

again , thank you for your time.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

This is the GM TSB, lots of issues with an aftermarket interface.

#13-08-116-001A: Aftermarket ALDL or DLC Interface Devices Causing Multiple Issues - (Mar 22, 2013)
Subject: Aftermarket ALDL or DLC Interface Devices Causing Multiple Issues

Models: 2006-2014 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add additional possible symptoms, clarify the language and revise the photos. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 13-08-116-001 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Customers may comment on various issues with their vehicle related to high or low speed data bus traffic. These concerns may be widely varied, but some of the known issues are listed below.

The information contained in this bulletin is not meant to single out any one device or symptom, but to provide additional information that may be useful for diagnosing issues that do not have other diagnostic methods to identify the root cause.

Note: This bulletin is being written with a focus on full size truck and full size van along with other fleet vehicles, but could apply to any vehicle.

Known Symptoms (not specific to any one device)

•The radio may not shut off after shutting down vehicle.
•Bus or LAN traffic may stay active leading to a discharged vehicle battery.
•Problems reprogramming modules either because of interference or the device will not allow the bus to power down.
•ONSTAR® may lose the ability to provide diagnostic data.
•Various engine and transmission performance issues with SES light set.
•Intermittent driveability issues.
•Reduced power message and codes.
•Stabilitrak® message and codes.
•C0561 stored in the EBCM leading to a traction control issue.
•No high speed LAN communication along with various communication U-codes.
•Transmission may not shift for one key cycle (TCM in default mode).
•Erratic gauge readings or flickering displays.
•SES, MIL or CEL light set and numerous DTC communication codes such as U0100, U0101, U186B and U1862.
•Diesel power-up devices causing no power in 4WD low range.
•Erratic electric power steering boost potentially associated with codes U2109, U2107, U2100, B1325, C0000.
•Service Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system light illuminated.
– Cannot relearn TPM

•Specific to Hybrids:
– Reduced propulsion power message.
– Service high voltage charging system message.
Cause
If nothing else can be identified as the root cause of the issue after normal diagnostics as found in SI, check for a device plugged into the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL) or Data Link Connector (DLC) for tracking and/or maintenance interval scheduling. Monitoring devices, along with other electronic accessories such as aftermarket cruise control, or police speed checking devices (RADAR or LIDAR) may cause one or more of the concerns listed above.

Many of the problems described could be caused by an open connection on the HSCAN bus. Example: if the device only makes connection with one CAN +, then it will cause bus errors and erratic ECU behavior.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-31-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the GM TSB, lots of issues with an aftermarket interface.

#13-08-116-001A: Aftermarket ALDL or DLC Interface Devices Causing Multiple Issues - (Mar 22, 2013)
Subject: Aftermarket ALDL or DLC Interface Devices Causing Multiple Issues

Models: 2006-2014 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

This bulletin is being revised to add additional possible symptoms, clarify the language and revise the photos. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 13-08-116-001 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Customers may comment on various issues with their vehicle related to high or low speed data bus traffic. These concerns may be widely varied, but some of the known issues are listed below.

The information contained in this bulletin is not meant to single out any one device or symptom, but to provide additional information that may be useful for diagnosing issues that do not have other diagnostic methods to identify the root cause.

Note: This bulletin is being written with a focus on full size truck and full size van along with other fleet vehicles, but could apply to any vehicle.

Known Symptoms (not specific to any one device)

•The radio may not shut off after shutting down vehicle.
•Bus or LAN traffic may stay active leading to a discharged vehicle battery.
•Problems reprogramming modules either because of interference or the device will not allow the bus to power down.
•ONSTAR® may lose the ability to provide diagnostic data.
•Various engine and transmission performance issues with SES light set.
•Intermittent driveability issues.
•Reduced power message and codes.
•Stabilitrak® message and codes.
•C0561 stored in the EBCM leading to a traction control issue.
•No high speed LAN communication along with various communication U-codes.
•Transmission may not shift for one key cycle (TCM in default mode).
•Erratic gauge readings or flickering displays.
•SES, MIL or CEL light set and numerous DTC communication codes such as U0100, U0101, U186B and U1862.
•Diesel power-up devices causing no power in 4WD low range.
•Erratic electric power steering boost potentially associated with codes U2109, U2107, U2100, B1325, C0000.
•Service Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system light illuminated.
– Cannot relearn TPM

•Specific to Hybrids:
– Reduced propulsion power message.
– Service high voltage charging system message.
Cause
If nothing else can be identified as the root cause of the issue after normal diagnostics as found in SI, check for a device plugged into the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL) or Data Link Connector (DLC) for tracking and/or maintenance interval scheduling. Monitoring devices, along with other electronic accessories such as aftermarket cruise control, or police speed checking devices (RADAR or LIDAR) may cause one or more of the concerns listed above.

Many of the problems described could be caused by an open connection on the HSCAN bus. Example: if the device only makes connection with one CAN +, then it will cause bus errors and erratic ECU behavior.

Russ Kemp

Well i ran it without anything in the DLC and still had the same issue

Very dishearting
For some reason it does not seem to happen if i have the shifter in first
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i ran it without anything in the DLC and still had the same issue

Very dishearting
For some reason it does not seem to happen if i have the shifter in first

Slightly diffrent codes this time

I was monitoring pids from the Brake Control module for a 30 min drive and never lost connection to it, so that tells me its not a brake control thats lossing connection
Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Try removing the positive battery cable & touching it to the negative battery post for 10 sec.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try removing the positive battery cable & touching it to the negative battery post for 10 sec.

Russ Kemp
K , trying that now I've also noticed that it ONLY does this when it shifts , ONLY , everytime a downshift is commanded under heavy throttle or a upshift is commanded under heavy throttle , it will not do it when im ONLY in first gear.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok , its allot better now , now it only does it when i floor it and then quickly release after a shift occures , i ddi what you said with the positive cable and i also changed 2 things in my tune.

I changed the ratio to 3.69 and i also DIstance error to 69.40 i added rougly 1 % before it was changed to some a 760ish number

I'm not sure which made it better but i can now lay into it fully throttle and traction control wil actially prevent wheel spin without actually giving an error
This is the tune
http://1drv.ms/1wRjLfq

Last edited by Sint3k; 10-31-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: HP tuner / gear ratio / 3.29 / 06 Monte Carlo SS 5.3V8