Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley HP Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holley HP Question

Can i program the Holley HP to provide two different outputs at different coolant temps??
example:
water temp reaches 180 output signal 1 would be a Ground signal from ECU
water temp reaches 210 output signal 2 would be another Ground signal from ECU

I'm using the Infinity Box electrical system to rewire the car and it operates on Gnd signals therefore i'm wondering if i can use the Holley ecu to drive the signals rather than routing two different temp sensors to drive the two fans...
Old 01-23-2015, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Holley has 2 separate fan outputs to run 2 different fans at different temperatures.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pin A4 and A13 are the ground triggerable outputs. As stated above, they can be triggered with different temps and each has it's own on/off hysteresis.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Moore Racecraft
Pin A4 and A13 are the ground triggerable outputs. As stated above, they can be triggered with different temps and each has it's own on/off hysteresis.
Thanks for the info guys but i'm questioning the A4 and A13 pins....per the wiring dia they're listed as inputs. i'm thinking its going to be pinsB3 or B10 - B12..

I've got a call into Holley to confirm.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the pins for Connector J1-A - A3, A4, A12, A13 are INPUTS

your outputs on Connector J1-B are B3, B10, B11, B12

you can use the built in fan outputs and pin map them to any of the 4 outputs
or you can create a custom I/O output to set up your fans

on the outputs from the J1B connector, 2 are High side, 2 are low side (meaning 2 are 12v and 2 are ground based)

you will need to take that wire to the coil side(pin 85 or pin 86) of a relay to power your fans

so in your case since you need a ground signal to operate the relays...
Connector J1-B Pins B3, and B10 would be the ones you will need to use
Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the pins for Connector J1-A - A3, A4, A12, A13 are INPUTS

your outputs on Connector J1-B are B3, B10, B11, B12

you can use the built in fan outputs and pin map them to any of the 4 outputs
or you can create a custom I/O output to set up your fans

on the outputs from the J1B connector, 2 are High side, 2 are low side (meaning 2 are 12v and 2 are ground based)

you will need to take that wire to the coil side(pin 85 or pin 86) of a relay to power your fans

so in your case since you need a ground signal to operate the relays...
Connector J1-B Pins B3, and B10 would be the ones you will need to use
thanks Sound....i was hoping you'd jump in here. I believe i'm going to use the my own I/O for a ground base output. I'm using the Infinity box electrical system which has its own internal relays rated up to 25a continuous. i'll program it with a slow ramp so it doesn't spike. I measured the amperage spike of the fans and they peak at 43amps and 15amps continous. Using the HP output and driving them through the Infinity syst makes it a real clean set up for wiring and possibly changing when they turn on and off easy.

now i'll have to read up on how to program my own I/O outputs within the HP.

thanks for chimming in...
Old 01-30-2015, 07:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX67RS/SS
thanks Sound....i was hoping you'd jump in here. I believe i'm going to use the my own I/O for a ground base output. I'm using the Infinity box electrical system which has its own internal relays rated up to 25a continuous. i'll program it with a slow ramp so it doesn't spike. I measured the amperage spike of the fans and they peak at 43amps and 15 amps continous. Using the HP output and driving them through the Infinity system makes it a real clean set up for wiring and possibly changing when they turn on and off easy.

now i'll have to read up on how to program my own I/O outputs within the HP.

thanks for chiming in...

really the built in fan control works great...no need to program a custom I/O for them unless you really need something special
especially if you are just turning them on and off by coolant temperature

about the only reasons you need to do it in the custom I/O is if you have a PWM fan, or if you need to turn it on and off by speed/rpm/other sensors
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soundengineer
really the built in fan control works great...no need to program a custom I/O for them unless you really need something special
especially if you are just turning them on and off by coolant temperature

about the only reasons you need to do it in the custom I/O is if you have a PWM fan, or if you need to turn it on and off by speed/rpm/other sensors
Scott, i need to know more about this built in fan control because i don't see this as an output on the wia diagram. i agree, if the ecu already has a method of sending a ground signal output at two different temps its a slam dunk. I just don't see it in the schematic....any help i'd appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Holley HP Question