PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with computer on a carburetor build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with computer on a carburetor build?

I'm not sure what to do with my computer and wires for my build. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to hide or delete everything that I can, but I do not know what to keep and what I can do without. I also would like to know how people get away with passing inspection with a carburetor setup. I'm working with is a 98 Trans Am, I have a LS9 block that I'm building a 416 stoker with a carburetor setup.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think it would take something akin to a bribe to pass inspection on a 98 TA with a 416 stroker and a carburetor. Or move to a state like Okla where we have none.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I would think it would take something akin to a bribe to pass inspection on a 98 TA with a 416 stroker and a carburetor. Or move to a state like Okla where we have none.
Lol, I know someone who will pass me as long as it does not throw any codes, but I don't know how much he can let me get away with. I read all over the place about people with carbureted set ups driving on the streets, but never anything about how they get away with it.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The not throwing any codes would be the easy part.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave the PCM in place and have it tuned to not report any DTC. Haven't tried with a 98 but most LS1 PCMs can be tuned to pass the emission and readiness tests.
If they do visual inspections then you will fail
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Leave the PCM in place and have it tuned to not report any DTC. Haven't tried with a 98 but most LS1 PCMs can be tuned to pass the emission and readiness tests.
If they do visual inspections then you will fail
So what do most people do with all of the wires and connectors for fuel injectors and sensors? Hide them in the firewall? I should be fine inspection wise as long as the computer will pass. Just trying to figure out how to clean everything up mostly. Where to hide the wires and such.

Last edited by 98 MECHAM TA; 02-24-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 MECHAM TA
So what do most people do with all of the wires and connectors for fuel injectors and sensors? Hide them in the firewall? I should be fine inspection wise as long as the computer will pass. Just trying to figure out how to clean everything up mostly. Where to hide the wires and such.
Most people don't put a carbureted motor in and try to pass inspection. The few carbureted 4th gens I have seen all have been race cars. The way the engine harness is laid out its going to be hard to make it look good IMO. The cleanest way would be to remove all the wiring and computer.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Most people don't put a carbureted motor in and try to pass inspection. The few carbureted 4th gens I have seen all have been race cars. The way the engine harness is laid out its going to be hard to make it look good IMO. The cleanest way would be to remove all the wiring and computer.
I understand that, I was just hoping that I could find a way to drive it now and then. To the track, car show, or just a sunday drive with the t-tops out ya know. Its obviously not going to be driven every day. If I have to I'll get a transporter tag and drive it. If I remove the whole computer nothing on the car will work right? I at least need lights and gauges lol. I am deleting abs and tcs, so no problem there. I will just take the whole thing out if that is possible.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

You can completely remove all the engine harness including the PCM, then make a standalone harness with only the basic wiring so the PCM will talk to the OBD2 port and report everything is good.
This way you can tuck the PCM under the dash and clean the engine compartment.
However, to have gauges you need to keep the PCM alive and hooked to all sensors you want to have a reading. Do it as follows:

1- Coolant temp, oil pressure and volts are hooked directly to the cluster, you need to provide the signal to it making a standalone harness from the engine to the cluster.
2- Fuel gauge, Tach and speedo get the signal from the PCM. You need to keep the Vss sensor and fuel sender hooked to the PCM. The Tach signal will be tricky because it comes from the Crank sensor but a LS9 has a 58x signal. A 98 PCM can't read it so you will need an external Tach hooked to the MSD module.
3- Lights, windows and all other accesories will work if you keep the BCM.

Honestly I don't see the need of going to a carburetor. A good setup and tune will give you the same power a card does but with all the advantages of EFI

Last edited by MontecarloDrag; 02-24-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

You can completely remove all the engine harness including the PCM, then make a standalone harness with only the basic wiring so the PCM will talk to the OBD2 port and report everything is good.
This way you can tuck the PCM under the dash and clean the engine compartment.
However, to have gauges you need to keep the PCM alive and hooked to all sensors you want to have a reading. Do it as follows:

1- Coolant temp, oil pressure and volts are hooked directly to the cluster, you need to provide the signal to it making a standalone harness from the engine to the cluster.
2- Fuel gauge, Tach and speedo get the signal from the PCM. You need to keep the Vss sensor and fuel sender hooked to the PCM. The Tach signal will be tricky because it comes from the Crank sensor but a LS9 has a 58x signal. A 98 PCM can't read it so you will need an external Tach hooked to the MSD module.
3- Lights, windows and all other accesories will work if you keep the BCM.

Honestly I don't see the need of going to a carburetor. A good setup and tune will give you the same power a card does but with all the advantages of EFI
Thank you, thats more along the lines of what I was looking for. My build is kind of unique, my father in law is helping me build it. He works for a race team and did the engine work for the Corvette Daytona Prototype. That is how I got the LS9 block. He is having a custome forged stroker crank cut to match up with my T56 and pully system. I'm staying wet sump, and I don't think he is adding the wheel for the sensor. So I would have to run the tach off of the ignition system that we choose. He said we are going to use their racing heads for my engine, and I'm not sure what they are. He said that I would have to use their racing intake and a carb, so that it would work on the heads. It sounds crazy I know, but I would never be able to build an engine like this by myself. Thats why I'm trying to figure out how to make this all work and still enjoy driving my car other than just a couple runs down the track on the weekends during the season.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Even for a carbed LS9 you need the crank reluctor and sensor to feed the signal to the ignition system. The cam sensor is also needed.
Since there is no distributor, the ignition has to be triggered by something. That trigger is the crank sensor.
The easiest and cheapest way is to use a MSD timing controller, it needs the crank and cam sensors feed, it plugs to the coils and you can program the timing curve using the software.
The other way is to use an external crank trigger wheel but they are more expensive
Old 02-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Even for a carbed LS9 you need the crank reluctor and sensor to feed the signal to the ignition system. The cam sensor is also needed.
Since there is no distributor, the ignition has to be triggered by something. That trigger is the crank sensor.
The easiest and cheapest way is to use a MSD timing controller, it needs the crank and cam sensors feed, it plugs to the coils and you can program the timing curve using the software.
The other way is to use an external crank trigger wheel but they are more expensive
Okay, I guess I need to get with him more on this. I looked up the regulations on the daytona prototype. It does use an ecu. Its just the way he is describing the build to me is confusing me a little lol. I'm just wanting to get a head start on my engine bay with everything out. I'll just wait till I get along further so that I know exactly what is needed. Best not to jump the gun right? Thanks for the help it cleared up alot of questions for me.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98 MECHAM TA
Okay, I guess I need to get with him more on this. I looked up the regulations on the daytona prototype. It does use an ecu. Its just the way he is describing the build to me is confusing me a little lol. I'm just wanting to get a head start on my engine bay with everything out. I'll just wait till I get along further so that I know exactly what is needed. Best not to jump the gun right? Thanks for the help it cleared up alot of questions for me.
You may want to also ask him why you have to run a carb with his heads bc the Corvette prototype is EFI...
Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by N20zuki
You may want to also ask him why you have to run a carb with his heads bc the Corvette prototype is EFI...
Will do.

Quick Reply: What to do with computer on a carburetor build?