Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinci Handheld prgrammer

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Do you think that I will be able to tune to the cam in my sig when the time comes? It isn't a Vinci/Crane grind, but a custom Comp grind.
For sure. Not counting the supercharged tunes it can tune 4 levels of aftermarket cams (levels by durations). Then it is only a matter of adjusting for fuel and or timing. Wideband/& autotap or dyno run can tell you where you stand and you adjust.

Also, I am going to be swapping out my 21 lb injectors for 24.7 lb injectors...I checked out the tutorial and it looks like I can adjust for that...how accurate will it be?
Again you have to calculate the % difference in flow and adjust to the nearest percentage. If you find out for example that your swap is 27% flow difference, the nearest setting on the tuner is 30% and you decrease fuel in the fuel adjustment section.

Lastly, when does the GP end?
I know it still on perhaps Joe Vinci can let you know.

To choose a tuner, one has to see if the parameters fit one's needs. There is no such thing as a one for all tuner, except for LS1 edit/hp tuner and that requires laptop, dyno, software, and also a certain degree of training and knowledge.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off...will it work on a 98 Vette?

Roughly...what kind of gain can I expect? Car is not completely stock, LT Headers, Ram Air, Borla Cat back, LS6 Intake coming soon. I know I won't see 50hp, just an idea would be useful in making my decision.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-09-2004, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

at this time they are still working out the bugs for the 98 vehicles. it's getting close. as far as gains, on my stock 00 formy i gained .2 and 1.4 mph in the 1/4. now in theory that's 2-hp. but i figure about 10-15 throughout the entire curve.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you know roughly when they will be out?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Man, you've really got my attention. I am strongly considering this tuner, as soon as I can get some cash. Just a couple of questions...

Do you think that I will be able to tune to the cam in my sig when the time comes? It isn't a Vinci/Crane grind, but a custom Comp grind.

Also, I am going to be swapping out my 21 lb injectors for 24.7 lb injectors...I checked out the tutorial and it looks like I can adjust for that...how accurate will it be?

Lastly, when does the GP end?

Thanks for all of the info!

-Billy
for cam choice, you select the cam profile that matches your cam. explaination is at the bottom of the tutorial page. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm

on the injectors, you figure out the percentage increase to make the big change. then use the POWER ENRICHMENT to make the final adjustment. just like predator-z used, if it's 27%, then use the 30% increase as it's the closest. see how it runs. a dyno is best for this part. or at least a way to read the o2 from the PCM. then if too rich, use the POWER ENRICHMENT and back off 5%. if need more, then up 5%.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks Predator-Z and mrr23, you've both been a great help. I'm sold...this is the tuner for me. With my mods and mild set up I think this will be just perfect. Plus, I have a low-line AutoXray that allows me to monitor live data, so I can check the effects of my adjustments. This seems to be the most powerful hand held out there, and between you guys and the folks over at Vinci I shouldn't have any problems if I have any questions. Now I just have to beg, borrow, or see what I can sell to work up the cash. (gonna be sellin a SnapOn toolbox soon for about 3k if anyone's interested)

Thanks again

-Billy
Old 09-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Talking Got mine today!

Have not had much time to play with it. But just wondering, how much time does it take to read codes? Had it plugged in for a while... ten minutes. Seems like it just kind of got locked there? Threw a code a few day's ago, and wondered what it was?

Oh well, maybe it's just me,try again tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimz
Have not had much time to play with it. But just wondering, how much time does it take to read codes? Had it plugged in for a while... ten minutes. Seems like it just kind of got locked there? Threw a code a few day's ago, and wondered what it was?

Oh well, maybe it's just me,try again tomorrow.
let me ask this. was checking DTCs the first thing you did after it downloaded the stock info? if so, then it will lock up. mine did the same thing. all you have to do is unplug it, replug back in and let it get to the check DTC screen and it will read them no problem. i've reported it to vinci and they are fixing it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Restricted User

I currently have an Ed Wright tune that is a bit rich. He changed my limiter and shift points as well as set my shift firmness. Now will this read that as my stock tune or what is the deal? I would like to be able to Autotap my runs and adjust the fuel rich/lean conditions. Please advise...
Old 09-16-2004, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I currently have an Ed Wright tune that is a bit rich. He changed my limiter and shift points as well as set my shift firmness. Now will this read that as my stock tune or what is the deal? I would like to be able to Autotap my runs and adjust the fuel rich/lean conditions. Please advise...
I have the Vinci programmer on my 03 Tahoe with the VHP 044 cam. The tuner works great, but it assumes that the program in the computer is stock. If you have a custom tune in all ready, the VHP tuner is going to modify it and I don't think you will be impressed! You must return the vehicle to the stock tune before using the VHP tuner. As far as doing modifications to adjust the rich/lean conditions, that's why you are buying the tuner in the first place. The tuning is extremely good right off the bat. I can't imagine that you could get it much better without an extreme amount of experience. Roger Vinci told me that between his crew and the Crane people, they had well over 2000 hrs and over 25 vehicles involved in the development. Many of the cars and trucks had 4 or 5 cam installs. I don't know how much experience you have, but I know you can't improve it too much with all of that development!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

One thing that is bugging the heck out of me is TM.
The VHP has had no effect on diminishing or removing it. (None I could feel)
It still engages where the car falls on its face at 2nd gear engagement on 18 inch 285's.
IF Joe has programming access can he completely delete this function?
ie: could i send the unit back for modifications??

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 10-12-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

what rpm is your second gear peak? torque management has more to do with initial torque. i.e. launching.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, I'll have to check it to make sure, I have a TCI3500, FLP stage 4 vacuum modulated 4L60E, 3:73 gears and it does it around 4500 rpm on launch in 2nd and around same rpm on a roll but in 3rd.
This is on the street, it used to do the same before tuning. I've yet to take it to the track to see if it will do it with ET's.
If I can't sort this out, I'm going to be forced to get a laptop and HP Tuner
Darn... I really like the tune on the VHP, car has never responded so well.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 10-12-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:23 PM
FormerVendor

When you install any performance program with our tuner, torque management is virtually eliminated. I understand this was happening before the tuner was installed as well. Have you looked for a mechanical problem? i.e. weak valve springs, traction control problem, fuel problem such as weak pump, partially clogged fuel strainer or fuel filter. Does it recover after it falls on its face?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Teching In

The Vinci does have a return to stock feature doesn't it????

Also, is it possible to put enough timing in with this device on a stock car to burn a piston?

Peabody Holdaway
Old 09-20-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

yes it does. the most timing you can put in over any of the other program choices is 10%. so, if the max timing in the table is 29*, the most you can add to that is 2.9*. very highly doubtful. i've used the hiperf/stock cam program with +10% timing even with the 200 n2o without any audible detonation at the track. but my a/f ratio on the juice is 11.5 in stock form. when i used the hiperf/stock cam with +10% timing, i gained .2 and 1.4 mph at the track that day.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Teching In

What size cam do you have. I am stock. What size do I have and what happens if I use a cam selection off the Vinci other than the stock one while I am using a stock cam?

Thanks,
Peabody Holdaway
Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Will it tell me what timing my motor uses. If not, what does it use???

Peabody
Old 09-21-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joe Vinci
When you install any performance program with our tuner, torque management is virtually eliminated. I understand this was happening before the tuner was installed as well..
Yes it was, however at the track with ET's on nitrous launch or N/A, it never did that.
Have you looked for a mechanical problem?
Not yet

i.e. weak valve springs
You mean valve float? will it induce TM?
traction control problem
I don't have TC (Traction Control), At least I don't think so. This was an option no?? Is there an RPO to check?
fuel problem such as weak pump partially clogged fuel strainer or fuel filter.
Well this will be fixed soon as I'm ready to put in a Racetronix PNP pump system with SVO inj. So I could eliminate that one next week.

Does it recover after it falls on its face?
Yes. It does.
This is how it goes. I'm in OD. I launch, little spin, strong pull till about 4000rpm then, nose dive, I let go of gas, refloor and then it takes off like a bat out of hell and will keep pulling through all the rpms.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Peabody Holdaway
What size cam do you have. I am stock. What size do I have and what happens if I use a cam selection off the Vinci other than the stock one while I am using a stock cam?

Thanks,
Peabody Holdaway
mine is the stock cam for 2000. using the other cam programs alter the fuel and timing tables to match it's requirements.

here's my results using it at the track.

all stock + cutout open
60ft - 2.073
1/8 - 8.833 @ 82.55
1/4 - 13.636 @ 101.58

above + performance/stock cam program,+10% timing, shift firmness, shift enhancement
60ft - 2.041
1/8 - 8.697 @ 83.51
1/4 - 13.431 @ 102.90

i tried others like the stock cam/supercharged and the CAM #1 just for giggles. i gained a .1et/.5mph over stock from the CAM #1. for the supercharged one .05et/.3mph. remember the only thing i have added are the SLP airlid and cutout

Quick Reply: Vinci Handheld prgrammer