Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinci Handheld prgrammer

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peabody Holdaway
Will it tell me what timing my motor uses. If not, what does it use???

Peabody
when you use the hiperf/stock cam program, it'll set the timing/fuel tables to whatever the best they got from programming. now due to varying weather conditions, that's where you use the power enrichment and timing selections. this tailors the program to your car for that day. here's an example:

i went back the next month to the same track. redid the tests. stock, then hiperf/stock program +10% timing. i only gained .02. ok something's amiss there. after talking with roger, we decided to back off the +10% timing and reduce power enrichment by -5%. it brought most of my et back and all of my mph. now why didn't the original way i had it work? weather plain and simple. the first time it was raining on and off all day long. the second time out at the track, the air temps was about 15* hotter and dry. the hotter the air, the less air molecules per square inch (science and physics). s owit hless air, you need to remove fuel to get the a/f ratio back into place. that's the good thing about having this handheld. you can make adjustments to the timing and fuel to compensate for weather.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
This is how it goes. I'm in OD. I launch, little spin, strong pull till about 4000rpm then, nose dive, I let go of gas, refloor and then it takes off like a bat out of hell and will keep pulling through all the rpms.
do you have a fuel pressure guage where you can see it while driving?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Can I program between runs or does the PCM have to "learn" the new settings.

One other thing...about the shift firmness...is it adjustable or either on or off with no adjustment. I see there is really no adjustment in the shift point. Just wondering if there was any adjustment in the firmness.

Thanks,
Peabody Holdaway
Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

i did it between runs. about 5 minutes. then got back in line. currently the shift firmness in an on/off thing. roger and i talked about that. hopefully soon they'll have it set this way.

SHIFT FIRMNESS
stock
performance w/stock converter
peformance w/stall converter

stock converters have about 1800-2100 stall. higher stall converters will absorb more of the firmness from them slipping.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23
do you have a fuel pressure guage where you can see it while driving?
I really doupt it is a pressure issue otherwise it would do it at the track but it doesn't.
Do you know the RPO for "traction control" option. I don't think I have it but if I had the RPO. I could check on my driver door but I don't know the option code for that either.
Sometimes under wheel spin I get an idiot light saying "Loss of traction" flashing on the guage screen.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 09-22-2004 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I found the RPO for "traction Control" NW9, I'll check my car tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

"update"

Well it cannot be the traction control as I do not have it.

Car came back from the shop I did the following:
1- Replace trans mount with a poly ES unit as the stock one was not doing its job anymore
2- Got the RACETRONIX PnP fuel pump system installed.

And to my happiness the problem which I had with the car at 4000rpm (Nose dive issue) has dissapeared. AT LEAST I THOUGHT IT DID

Joe V. Thank you for your advice, I cannot tell whether it was the pump or the banging from the bad trans mount that used to do that.

That Racetronix system is pimp
Fuel pressure is 62 psi at the rail

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 10-12-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:44 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

One more question...(for now)

I'm planning on installing a mild shift improver kit...If I use one of the pre-programmed cam tunes, will there be a conflict? In other words, do the cam tunes bump up line pressures, or can that be turned off?

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
One more question...(for now)

I'm planning on installing a mild shift improver kit...If I use one of the pre-programmed cam tunes, will there be a conflict? In other words, do the cam tunes bump up line pressures, or can that be turned off?

Thanks again!
Well if you plan on getting the VHP tuner, hold off on the shift kit as the tuner has a performance shifting upgrade that firm up and extand the shifts by 300rpm. That is a separate parameter and has nothing to do with the cam tunes.
So try that one first and if it is not enough then you can get a shift kit.
IMO it is better to increase the line pressure electronically than with a shift kit.
So no, cam tunes do not bump up line pressure.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks again Predator-Z!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

by the way VHP is having a hurricane sale on their programmers right now. they are now $399.99 after mail in rebate. http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...LE%20PAGE.HTML
Old 09-24-2004, 11:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I just ordered mine Now I definitely have to MAKE time to do my cam swap...and injector swap...couldn't hurt to install my Corvette servo either. I guess it could be cool to see what I get stock, then with the hi-perf tune, then with the cam, then the cam tuned. Man, I'm never gonna find the time to get to the track for this...either way, I'm just psyched!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Talking Nice

Installed my tune last week. stock cam, +10% timing, shift enhancements.

First time I hammered it. it was definetely a sotp difference. Exhaust even
sounds better. Best mod so far.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Aloha,
Whats the difference between the new Crane hand programer and the VHP?They look the same to me (different sticker),and both are made by Crane.
Mahalos..
Old 10-04-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by H-5-L
Aloha,
Whats the difference between the new Crane hand programer and the VHP?They look the same to me (different sticker),and both are made by Crane.
Mahalos..
VHP's is a crane unit, but programmed to accomodate VHP cams instead of Crane cams in the cam tunes. (As far as I understand)
VHP has worked with Crane on this item for some while now.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

essentially both are the same. VHP and Crane cams teamed together to build this programmer. VHP did all of the R&D for the tuner. The biggest difference is the price and availibility. and the service you get from VHP is far better than what you'd get from other retailers of the Crane unit. Crane doesn't sell to the public directly.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:18 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Just wanted to post an update of how I made out with the Vinci/Crane tune.
After I installed my cam my truck was litterally a dog...fell flat on it's face every time I touched the gas. Started right up, had a decent idle, good coolant temp, etc. etc., but my get up and go got up and went. I was seeing 7.9* of KR just about every time the throttle opened. A week later I installed the slightly larger 24.7lb injectors (21lb stock). The next day the tuner showed up on my doorstep.
I installed the cam1 tune straight up, on a low octane table, increase the idle by 50 RPM's and compensated for the larger injectors...man what a difference! The truck actually took off...it was fun to drive! I'm still seein KR, but there must be enough timing to compensate for it because the truck's a raped ape now! Good job Vinci.
I will be getting a custom dyno tune from TTP this week, but I'm gonna hang on to the programmer and probably get a used back-up PCM for playing around with...maybe start my learining curve so some day I can get a laptop and get really into it.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

glad to hear it worked out for you. have you tried pulling timing out? -10% timing.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:25 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by mrr23
glad to hear it worked out for you. have you tried pulling timing out? -10% timing.
Nah, I didn't get that deep into it...pretty sure it's false knock due to the valve spring harmonics coupled with the finicky 99 PCM. Seems to be a common problem for every truck guy who puts a cam and springs in the 99-00 trucks. Alot of guys have actually swapped in 02 PCM's, and this seems to make the KR go away. I gotta tell ya though, even with the KR, this thing really goes now! I felt it immediately. I talked to Joe on the phone also, and he was very helpful. I'd definitely recommend this tuner to anyone who's looking into a hand-held.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Hmm, I'll have to check it to make sure, I have a TCI3500, FLP stage 4 vacuum modulated 4L60E, 3:73 gears and it does it around 4500 rpm on launch in 2st and around same rpm on a roll but in 3rd.
This is on the street, it used to do the same before tuning. I've yet to take it to the track to see if it will do it with ET'sIf I can't sort this out, I'm going to be forced to get a laptop and HP Tuner
Darn... I really like the tune on the VHP, car has never responded so well..
Going back to the top when I had a "Fall on face problem", I finally found out what it really was.
The TC, TCI SSF 3500 was slipping bad, so I'm waiting for my new VIG.

I'll post other updates after install.
Also should have track times both N/A and on juice by end of month.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 10-12-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Vinci Handheld prgrammer