PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PE addder vs IAT

Old 08-23-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Default PE addder vs IAT

Can someone tell me how this table works? Does a positive number add fuel to that segment. I am running olsd and want to richen the car up at lower IAT.I bracket race the car and I am trying to stop it from speeding up as it cools down. I am thinking if I add some fuel as it cools down this will accomplish what I am after.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PE adder vs IAT is there to keep AFR consistent throughout IAT changes. As IAT increases, the car will get richer as the air is thinner and the same amount of fuel is added. The PE Adder vs IAT reduces fueling at higher temps and increases fueling at lower temps. Should be noted that all of the stock files I just looked at had this table zeroed out. Anyway, it functions by adding to the PE multiplier. As in, if your PE multiplier is 1.17 and you want the cooler temps to be even richer, you would put in .05 and your PE would be 1.22.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
The PE adder vs IAT is there to keep AFR consistent throughout IAT changes. As IAT increases, the car will get richer as the air is thinner and the same amount of fuel is added. The PE Adder vs IAT reduces fueling at higher temps and increases fueling at lower temps. Should be noted that all of the stock files I just looked at had this table zeroed out. Anyway, it functions by adding to the PE multiplier. As in, if your PE multiplier is 1.17 and you want the cooler temps to be even richer, you would put in .05 and your PE would be 1.22.
If your fuel trims change significantly when the iat gets hot you have other problems. Fuel mass is based on air mass. If anything this table would be there to add fuel at exceedingly high temperatures to aid in charge cooling.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
If your fuel trims change significantly when the iat gets hot you have other problems. Fuel mass is based on air mass. If anything this table would be there to add fuel at exceedingly high temperatures to aid in charge cooling.
Hence why I added the note that said most every configuration I checked in my library has it zeroed out. This includes my own tune. I imagine it might be useful to those with SD tunes and/or open-loop tunes that don't have fuel trims to take up the slack or the MAF to compensate for intake charge density changes. Remember, not everyone runs o2 sensors or MAFs....I ALMOST used this table once when I was running OLSD.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Hence why I added the note that said most every configuration I checked in my library has it zeroed out. This includes my own tune. I imagine it might be useful to those with SD tunes and/or open-loop tunes that don't have fuel trims to take up the slack or the MAF to compensate for intake charge density changes. Remember, not everyone runs o2 sensors or MAFs....I ALMOST used this table once when I was running OLSD.
I absolutely know people run olsd. That's still not a reason to bandaid a poor tune with this table. What your proposing is another form of raping PE tables. It's just limited to certain IAT temps.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
I absolutely know people run olsd. That's still not a reason to bandaid a poor tune with this table. What your proposing is another form of raping PE tables. It's just limited to certain IAT temps.
Hey man, it's there for you to use it if you want. If this guy wants to experiment with it to compensate for tiny variables at the track he should go ahead and do it. It's actually a very useful but rarely used and over-looked table. Many forced induction guys find it's the only way to cure heat-soak induced lean conditions. More than one way to skin a cat, and just because it's not your way that doesn't mean it's a bandaid or a poor tune.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 08-28-2015, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I am looking to use it to keep my car within .001 of a second between runs. We start racing in the afternoon and race into the night. My car barely swings .05 all day long but sometimes that is not good enough. My car is olsd Car runs fine (11,50 cam only) but I am looking to use the table for a very specific purpose. If you understand bracket racing you will understand what I am trying to achieve .I want 11.50 in the sun at 88 degrees and I want 11.50 in 65 degree in the dark. Thanks for the responses. Might experiment some tonight just needed a place to start.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

There are plenty of OE tunes that use that table and plenty of reasons to use it. Doesn't mean it's wrong.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
There are plenty of OE tunes that use that table and plenty of reasons to use it. Doesn't mean it's wrong.
I'm honestly curious, what OE tunes have it because the ones in my library don't.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nj02z
I am looking to use it to keep my car within .001 of a second between runs. We start racing in the afternoon and race into the night. My car barely swings .05 all day long but sometimes that is not good enough. My car is olsd Car runs fine (11,50 cam only) but I am looking to use the table for a very specific purpose. If you understand bracket racing you will understand what I am trying to achieve .I want 11.50 in the sun at 88 degrees and I want 11.50 in 65 degree in the dark. Thanks for the responses. Might experiment some tonight just needed a place to start.
I tune a lot of bracket cars. There are a number of other things in the tune that will help it be more consistent besides adjust that table, not saying that wont help but I think other things will make a bigger difference.

How was the car tuned, on a dyno or all at the track?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
7 Second Club

I'm honestly curious, what OE tunes have it because the ones in my library don't.
Lots of trucks have this table populated.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of trucks have this table populated.
What year model or OS? I just checked 99-07 and they all had it zeroed out except one had some number for IAT being 248+. I just randomly opened a 5.3 or 6.0 truck tune from each year when I looked. Since there are multiple OS for some years I could have not just opened the correct OS that used that table.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Found an interesting quote over on HP Tuners forum that claims that this table only exists because Holden requested it and then they never used it. Sounds like orphaned engineering. Not surprised though that you might find it used in some truck tunes. Trucks seemed to like to use a lot of tables for whatever reason. Spreading out variables? Redundancy? Compartmentalized programming? I started with a truck computer...the amount of crap that was deleted is amazing!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
What year model or OS? I just checked 99-07 and they all had it zeroed out except one had some number for IAT being 248+. I just randomly opened a 5.3 or 6.0 truck tune from each year when I looked. Since there are multiple OS for some years I could have not just opened the correct OS that used that table.
I couldn't tell you, just that I remember seeing it populated before in original tunes. It wasn't common by any means but I've seen it before. Outside of that using it for dry nitrous fueling with an IAT tricker, IAT tricker SD tunes for fueling correction, putting out the fire so to speak if an intercooler pump fails, and a few other things make it a very nice thing to have.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

There are lots of reasons to use it. I never said there weren't. Correcting WOT fueling because you did a poor job tuning your airflow isn't one of them.

I like the table for meth injection.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 386 Likes on 295 Posts

A standard formula will calculate how air density changes with temperature. I'm pretty sure this formula is built into every PCM/ECM so that it can properly fuel the engine at different intake air temperatures. Therefore this table is normally zero as the built-in formula calculates the fueling correctly.
I too can think of various "special" reasons for using that table to tweak the formula, but would be about the last thing I fiddle with.

Last edited by mrvedit; 08-29-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarify sentence
Old 08-29-2015, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrvedit
a standard formula will calculate how air density changes with temperature. I'm pretty sure this formula is built into every pcm/ecm so that it can properly fuel the engine at different intake air temperatures. Therefore this table is normally zero as the built-in formula calculates the fueling correctly.
I can think of various "special" reasons for using it too, but would be about the last thing i fiddle with.
cam=(cylvol*ve/r)*map/(iat+(ect-iat)*bias)
Old 08-29-2015, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default PE addder vs IAT

In EFILive you can set the VE units to g*K/kPa... i.e. airmass grams normalized for biased temperature and pressure.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One important question is the IAT's real fidelity. Staging
lane heat soak on the sensor has nothing at all to do
with the big-end in-taken air temp. Do you, or don't you,
really want to respond to recent history (as opposed to
putting the IAT out of the engine bay and ducting the
intake air such that its temperature equals, close enough,
the outside air temp)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PE addder vs IAT