Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stoichemetric afr, 93 octane 10 percent ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default stoichemetric afr, 93 octane 10 percent ethanol

I'm just starting to get into tuning, and I'm reviewing my tune, my stoichemetric afr is set for 14.681. which I believe is correct for gasoline. but the 93 octane I use around here is 10% ethanol.
should I change the stoich value in my pcm to an afr that is a little more appropriate for the blended fuel? such as 14.1 ish?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

14.116757816 is what I use for e10.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If your LTFT is good, I would just leave the "stoichemetric afr" value alone, whatever it is. Correct me if I am wrong: If you lower this value, you will need to lower the entire VE table by the same percentage or you will be running rich. I am not sure about the MAF table.
If you later decide to change all your tuning to "lambda" then I would first change it to "14.11" (or something similar), adjust the VE table (and MAF?) and then make the switch.

Do you have a wideband installed already?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrvedit
If your LTFT is good, I would just leave the "stoichemetric afr" value alone, whatever it is. Correct me if I am wrong: If you lower this value, you will need to lower the entire VE table by the same percentage or you will be running rich. I am not sure about the MAF table.
If you later decide to change all your tuning to "lambda" then I would first change it to "14.11" (or something similar), adjust the VE table (and MAF?) and then make the switch.

Do you have a wideband installed already?
I'm actually installing a wideband right now to do my first tune. my car was already tuned , then I switched to a fast intake. so now I'm gonna make the necessary changes to my maf curve and ve table. so I figured now would be a good time to tune for the different fuel
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Exidous
An odd thing to remember. No matter what fuel you are using, stoich is ~14.63. The Lambda if very different between fuels BUT an o2 sensor measures o2 not fuel content.

If you change nothing in the car but the fuel to say E85, until the trims try to fix it you will be VERY lean. If the trims can bring it back in line the o2 will read 14.63 again.

Changing the stoich value in the OS should allow you to run E10 or E85 without messing with the tune. This is in an ideal world scenario and will never happen. Some tuning will still be required.
The lambda between fuels is exactly the same. That's the whole point of lambda.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Exidous: I'm sure you understand the topic but just aren't wording it correctly. Your "No matter what fuel you are using, stoich is ~14.63." is blatantly false the way most people would interpret it.
The rest of your post is fine.

A wideband O2 gauge set to AFR values will show 14.63 at stoich, regardless of fuel, because it is really reading 1.0 lambda.

Therefore, please edit your post to read correctly. Keep in mind that hundreds, if not thousands of people will read this thread in the future due to a Google search, and accuracy in wording is important.
Thank you.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No matter what fuel you are using, lambda is ~1.0. The actual stoich is very different between fuels
Fixed
Old 09-14-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Tuning in Lambda is sooo much easier than AFR.

All W/B sensors read in Lambda and then convert to AFR depending on fuel type.

Love me some Lambda.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys, this has turned into a really informative thread, great info.

as a follow up question. should I change my "stoich afr" table in hp tuners to reflect e10 fuel?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Its not worth the trouble IMO. You figure all the millions of non flex fuel vehicles out there are running on tunes or carburetors setup for non ethanol fuel. Here the pumps also say up to 10% ethanol but according to my tahoe I usually average 2-3% ethanol where I normally get gas. Without checking the fuel each time changing to the tune for 10% ethanol could make it farther off than just leaving it for zero ethanol. Now if your 100% sure the fuel is always 10% then that's a little different.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Its not worth the trouble IMO. You figure all the millions of non flex fuel vehicles out there are running on tunes or carburetors setup for non ethanol fuel. Here the pumps also say up to 10% ethanol but according to my tahoe I usually average 2-3% ethanol where I normally get gas. Without checking the fuel each time changing to the tune for 10% ethanol could make it farther off than just leaving it for zero ethanol. Now if your 100% sure the fuel is always 10% then that's a little different.
that's a good point, the pumps here also say up to 10 % ETHANOL
Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Around here I see anywhere from 5% to 9% ethanol content using an actual sensor with regular pump gas. Changing your stoich to 14.1 for E10 is nothing more than a few percent skew in fueling so it really is just about meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Hell your fuel trims will change by that much during the course of the day with no other changes even on a stock car.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mikesimpalass
thanks guys, this has turned into a really informative thread, great info.

as a follow up question. should I change my "stoich afr" table in hp tuners to reflect e10 fuel?
As the others have said it's not imperative. I do though, as does GM on newer vehicles.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I looked into tuning for this a few years ago and decided not to bother based on the reasons given by LSX Power Tuning and Nic D above. The only thing magical about stoich is that catalytic converters function most efficiently there - something I presume most guys on this board aren't overly concerned with. Otherwise, engines can run richer or leaner in various circumstances for best performance and efficiency.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pump gas AFR

Recently had a customer send fuel out to a lab for testing to confirm AFR for a project they were working on. Sent multiple samples from different sources. Average stoichiometric AFR of E10 pump fuel was 13.8:1. Surprised me.

Originally Posted by mikesimpalass
I'm just starting to get into tuning, and I'm reviewing my tune, my stoichemetric afr is set for 14.681. which I believe is correct for gasoline. but the 93 octane I use around here is 10% ethanol.
should I change the stoich value in my pcm to an afr that is a little more appropriate for the blended fuel? such as 14.1 ish?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProServ
Recently had a customer send fuel out to a lab for testing to confirm AFR for a project they were working on. Sent multiple samples from different sources. Average stoichiometric AFR of E10 pump fuel was 13.8:1. Surprised me.
That is surprising.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ProServ
The infuriating thing about this is that when you set out to try to tune to make up the difference, it all depends on the batch of fuel you happen to have in your tank at that point. And next time you fill up it could be different. Your results might be good for your part of the country at a given time. But elsewhere at different times, who knows? You'd have to torture yourself to find stoich at any given moment, only to possibly change at the next, for a negligible performance benefit. Or so it seems to me.

Quick Reply: stoichemetric afr, 93 octane 10 percent ethanol