PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire fuel cutoff with boost control fail safe and stock LS ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default How to wire fuel cutoff with boost control fail safe and stock LS ECM?

Got my stock 99 5.3 LS in the car, got 90% of the harness gone through besides the +12v etc and fuse/relay block. I'm going to run the stock ECM with probably HPT pro and I picked up a innovate PSB-1 boost/WB02 gauge to replace my LC-1 mainly for boost readings and fail safes. Motor also has a torque storm centrifugal super charger ready to go on and plan to run about 10psi with a 1 bar OP system.

I want to use the PSB-1 to control the fail safe of the ECM if I have a lean or over boost situation. Thinking the relay control of the PSB-1 could cut power to the injectors and stop fuel? What is the best way to control the ECM with the PSB-1 to utilize the fail safes?

I'm open to ideas or how to even do it?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Got my stock 99 5.3 LS in the car, got 90% of the harness gone through besides the +12v etc and fuse/relay block. I'm going to run the stock ECM with probably HPT pro and I picked up a innovate PSB-1 boost/WB02 gauge to replace my LC-1 mainly for boost readings and fail safes. Motor also has a torque storm centrifugal super charger ready to go on and plan to run about 10psi with a 1 bar OP system.

I want to use the PSB-1 to control the fail safe of the ECM if I have a lean or over boost situation. Thinking the relay control of the PSB-1 could cut power to the injectors and stop fuel? What is the best way to control the ECM with the PSB-1 to utilize the fail safes?

I'm open to ideas or how to even do it?
No one has any input?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

easiest way is to use a lingenfelter box and wire the rpm limiter to that output
Custom OS works great for this feature too.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The highlander
easiest way is to use a lingenfelter box and wire the rpm limiter to that output
Custom OS works great for this feature too.
Thanks for your input. I'm not going to be buying anything else tho. Basically just need to work with what I got.

I need to look at the instructions again for the innovate PSB1 and see if the relay it controls is a ground or a 12v with the relay. I could just use the PSB1 to activate the injector relay so once it cuts ground or 12v it would kill the injectors and theirs my fail safe.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock PCM doesn't have that ability because there are no inputs you can use for that.
The only way to do it is to wire a relay to the IAT wire, it has some tables you can use but they are limited.

Cutting power to all injectors at once may result in a dangerous situation since the engine will completely die, you will lose steering pressure and brake assist. Bad idea IMO. It's better to cut half of injectors 2 each bank, it will lose power and boost.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Stock PCM doesn't have that ability because there are no inputs you can use for that.
The only way to do it is to wire a relay to the IAT wire, it has some tables you can use but they are limited.

Cutting power to all injectors at once may result in a dangerous situation since the engine will completely die, you will lose steering pressure and brake assist. Bad idea IMO. It's better to cut half of injectors 2 each bank, it will lose power and boost.
I just got my HPT pro today. I don't need to use the stock ECM to control the fail safe. That's a good idea to cut 1/2 the injectors. I guess I could wire 4 each per relay and use the PSB1 to control the 1 relay. I went over the instructions again and it's normally closed and opens the circuit when triggered. So it will provide power to the injector relay till its outside the peramiters and will then cut the 12v trigger this killing the 4 injectors.

Any idea on what 4 injectors would be best to disable? Any Pistons that don't run inherently lean? I'd rather cut fuel to the ones that aren't as lean as the others.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cutting power to the injector will cause a complete misfire, not a lean condition. There will not be any fuel in the cylinder so it's safe by all means.
You can cut power to the same cylinders as DOD does, IIRC 1,4,6,7 so it's not too rough. You will notice the loss of power, the boost will go down. I think it's enough of a safety
Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! That works for me! Appreciate it.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Steering ECU???
Old 10-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Wait for it....
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Steering ECU???
Im sorry, wrong thread. Deleted it.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Wait for it....
Didn't have to wait long.... wanted to see if he was a troll... NOPE! lol

Quick Reply: How to wire fuel cutoff with boost control fail safe and stock LS ECM?