PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know exactly what is tested during OBD2 inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does anyone know exactly what is tested during OBD2 inspection?

I am trying to find out what exactly are the test parameters and what data is actually needed to pass OBD 2 inspections. Specifically, does the inspection scanner only pull the OBD2 readiness monitors or does it pull other sensor data? Does the scanner need to have the car running to do the inspection or is the key on data pull enough? I watched my daily driver get inspected and the computer did not show any data on the screen to give any indication what data was being pulled so I am at a loss. I know the main three components are:
1) Mil light on with key on engine off
2) Mil Light commanded off with key on engine running
3) No DTC codes and I/M status as ready or complete. (this is the step I would like the more information on but have been unable to find)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-11-2016, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Texas, they only check the "readiness" of the post catalytic converter O2 sensors and your EVAP system. Car does not need to be running to check these, but the ignition does need to be on.

After an inspections in Texas, they give you a print out - this print out shows you everything the computer checks, which shows "Ready" or "Not Ready" next to each item. Maybe they have the same in your state, just look at the sheet of paper (if they gave you one) you got after getting your daily inspected.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the information.

In DE, they start the car as part of #2 check and into the #3 check. They start the car to view that the SES light goes off but the scanner is hooked up before the engine is started. I would like to know if they are only checking what you state above or are checking the cars pcm while running (ie-rpm and other sensors).
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

NY, readiness and no light. If you reset the light you need to drive it until all the parameters are ready. Evap usually takes the longest.

http://www.obdautodoctor.com/scantoo...ors-explained/
Old 04-11-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I just tried to take the car through today and found that DE looks for rpm from the ALDL port via the scanner. I saw the screen that stated the system was looking for rpm before the communications failure came up. Just not sure what else is scanned. The DE test is done with the engine running.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are all of your readiness tests complete?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, all readiness tests are complete. The communication error is due to the PCM not running the engine as the FAST XFI is a stand alone. The stock PCM has been tuned and all readiness status' show completed. However, the DE scanning looks for RPM and most likely some others. If the car still had the optispark, it would be no problem but the opti was removed in favor of a crank trigger and cam synch distributor. The car can get an RPM signal by hooking up the opti and turning it with a drill but the P0100 and P0200 codes come up and set the mil light. Just need to know what is tested to try and make the scanner and the PCM happy.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was able to pass inspection and now know the protocol for testing. The tester looks for the following in the below order and if your car fails any one of the tests or does not register it fails immediately for comm error or actually failing due to codes or readiness.
1. RPM link check--checks the rpm while running.
2. Scans sensor data.
3. Scans codes
4. Scans OBD2 readiness
5. Pass/Fail

If at any time the computer cannot read any of the parameters, the test will fail due to comm error.

I hope this helps out anyone who is curious about the test.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know exactly what is tested during OBD2 inspection?