Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since h/c, car idles like crap and now a code

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Since h/c, car idles like crap and now a code

A couple of weeks ago, I had the pp ls6 heads and the tsp 231/237 installed. The car was dynotuned by APE. Even at the initial start when I picked up the car, it would start, idle way down, hellasious lope, then idle would pick up a bit and it would seem to find itself at around 900 rpm. Took the cats off last weeks replace with racepipes and o2sims. Since the day I picked the car up, about 4 or 5 times your driving along in 4th or 5th and the car just stumbles like for a split second it fires on 7 cylinders. Today, while driving it did just that and then the SES light came on. Got home hooked up autotap and their were 5 codes, all the same, P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor Peformance. What is this problem and what do I need to do to fix it?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently got the TSP 231/237 installed to and the other day just driving down the road I got a MAF code to. I cleared it and it hasn't came back since(couple of days).
Old 06-19-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PonyKiln
I recently got the TSP 231/237 installed to and the other day just driving down the road I got a MAF code to. I cleared it and it hasn't came back since(couple of days).
What code did you get. How does your car idle at startup and have you noticed a stumble occasionally.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry

Originally Posted by SS125
A couple of weeks ago, I had the pp ls6 heads and the tsp 231/237 installed. The car was dynotuned by APE. Even at the initial start when I picked up the car, it would start, idle way down, hellasious lope, then idle would pick up a bit and it would seem to find itself at around 900 rpm. Took the cats off last weeks replace with racepipes and o2sims. Since the day I picked the car up, about 4 or 5 times your driving along in 4th or 5th and the car just stumbles like for a split second it fires on 7 cylinders. Today, while driving it did just that and then the SES light came on. Got home hooked up autotap and their were 5 codes, all the same, P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor Peformance. What is this problem and what do I need to do to fix it?
I'll be Damned ,You Got the problem from APE too?Sinse my 90mm TB and Intake install last week I get code PO102 MAF circuit Voltage to low.I mean to tell you when my car is Cold That Mother F'er gives me tons of crap to start,I have to goose the gas to start it when it is cold like an older Holley Double Pumper without a choke.I am Going back this week and Kirk is going to Fix it whether he wants to or not
Old 06-19-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
I'll be Damned ,You Got the problem from APE too?Sinse my 90mm TB and Intake install last week I get code PO102 MAF circuit Voltage to low.I mean to tell you when my car is Cold That Mother F'er gives me tons of crap to start,I have to goose the gas to start it when it is cold like an older Holley Double Pumper without a choke.I am Going back this week and Kirk is going to Fix it whether he wants to or not
I didn't know Kirk was still there. Wasn't he the old owner. Now its Chris. And yes, I'm going back this week also. Something is definitley wrong with this thing. When you first start it, it's a bitch to keep it running. Then when driving down the road, it like falls on it's face for just a second, but otherwise, it bucks and jumps, and now this code?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS125
I didn't know Kirk was still there. Wasn't he the old owner. Now its Chris. And yes, I'm going back this week also. Something is definitley wrong with this thing. When you first start it, it's a bitch to keep it running. Then when driving down the road, it like falls on it's face for just a second, but otherwise, it bucks and jumps, and now this code?
Yes SS125 Mine too,Kirk still tunes for Chris,subcontracted I believe.Mine doesnt seem to fall on its face ,but than again I am an A4 ,if I had a 6 speed mine might too.Mine too is a Bitch to keep running when its cold,and when I do get it running than it likes to surge,Annoying as hell.and sometimes high Idles if I stop at a lightNot Happy
Scott
Old 06-19-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

How's the MAF look? Maybe it needs a cleaning. Twice now I've noticed unusual, crappy idle. Both times, the problem went away after cleaning the MAF. I used some electrical contact cleaner, from radio shack, it comes in a small aerosol can with a plastic bristle brush.

good luck!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Thanks Murdock,I wish it were that easyI had another MAF farely new and its the same
Old 06-19-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

I think it is safe to say that they over-tuned your MAF tables to compensate for your cam. Just my opinion though. What do your LTRIMS look like?

Last edited by Another_User; 06-19-2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Another_User
I think it is safe to say that they over-tuned your MAF tables to compensate for your cam. Just my opinion though. What do your LTRIMS look like?
Haven't even looked at the ltrims, I've only driven the car three times in a week and a half. I'll try the cleaning of the maf and see if that helps, but, it ran fine before the h/c swap. It actually runs fine at wot (did that the first time yesterday) but, otherwise at idle and just starting the car is a bitch. Surges, bucks, jumps, not good at all
Old 06-20-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

I found your problem. P0101 shows up when:
The MAF frequency is 50% different from the speed density calculation for at least 5 seconds.

What this means to me:
They messed up your tune. Check your MAF for sure though.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Promouse, SS125, bring the cars back this week and we will get them sorted out for you. Sorry for the troubles with the tunes.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
Promouse, SS125, bring the cars back this week and we will get them sorted out for you. Sorry for the troubles with the tunes.

Thanks
Hey Chris ,Thanks!I know its not your fault...You Have a PM
Thanks again....
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

SS125 ,Did Chris and Kirk fix your Car?Is it running good?Mine wasnt the Tune ,Chris ,Kirk and I went thru it,My Problem was that POS Fast 90 mm TB!That thing is Junk!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I am anxious to hear too.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
SS125 ,Did Chris and Kirk fix your Car?Is it running good?Mine wasnt the Tune ,Chris ,Kirk and I went thru it,My Problem was that POS Fast 90 mm TB!That thing is Junk!
I took the car over wednesday and Kirk worked on it for about 45 minutes. He said he uped the (don't quote me on this) IA count by 20% and finally drilled the throttle hole 7/64th's. He eliminiated the P1010 code. The car idles good now after it warms up, but still on startup, it wants to surge and tries to die. But like it said, once it warms up (if you can warm up in this god forsaken state of Michigan) it idles just fine. Kirk did a real good job. I'm very pleased right now. I saw a post on here last night about adjusting the idle with atap and the torx screw on the throttle body. I may play with that this weekend.