Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 camaro p0171

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 camaro p0171

I have only p0171 code coming up, lean bank 1. Im really pulling my hair out on this. Both bank 1 and bank 2 long term fuel trim are at 25% i dont get it. Stft around 3. I held rpms at 2k for about 30 secs stft drop to -8 while ltft stayed at 25%. Can someone please help work me through this. Car is completely stock. Starts good drives pretty good. Fuel pressure was at 50 key on 60 at idle. Please help. I dont wanna fry this motor up.

Last edited by LS1ECHO; 07-19-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the PCV hosing for damage-leaks.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Check the PCV hosing for damage-leaks.
Thanks rockin for the awesome quick response. Ok i will check it. I did use a short hose to repair the elbow part back by the oil pressure sending unit by the back driver side of the head. I will check it out though. Would a pcv leak cause low vacuum. Il post a freeze frame from when the code threw. Also if anyone needs any numbers. I got torque on phone, scanmaster on pc. Wish tts worked for obd2. So far only mechanical gauge ive hooked up was fuel pressure.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1ECHO
Thanks rockin for the awesome quick response. Ok i will check it. I did use a short hose to repair the elbow part back by the oil pressure sending unit by the back driver side of the head. I will check it out though. Would a pcv leak cause low vacuum. Il post a freeze frame from when the code threw. Also if anyone needs any numbers. I got torque on phone, scanmaster on pc. Wish tts worked for obd2. So far only mechanical gauge ive hooked up was fuel pressure.
Ok rockin i inspected more. It seems its deteriorated so bad its not even connected behind the intake lol. I will repair and update.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Ok rockin i inspected more. It seems its deteriorated so bad its not even connected behind the intake lol. I will repair and update.
new pic of my pcv lol
Attached Thumbnails 98 camaro p0171-20170719_190955_hdr.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

new pic of my pcv lol
Looks like it had a leak or two.... lol
Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Looks like it had a leak or two.... lol
Yeah it was horrible lol, i just bought this car a month back and i patched the corner off but i had no idea the rest was that bad. Il redo it though. I read something about using fuel line to do it. Il see if that takes care of my lean issue.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Yeah, that had to have been sucking all kinds of extra air into the mix. PCV hose in that size(if there is such a thing) would be best, also make sure the routing is right, the way it looks now there's no telling if it was right in the first place. Once it's right it should run fine, unless there are other concerns to be addressed.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Smile Update

Alright fellas, i assembled a temporary fix using a combination of the original pcv plastic pipe, 3/8 fuel line, 15mm and 5/8 crankcase hose with new pcv. Seems to idle a heck of a lot stronger. Although i must say it ran strong as hell already with the leak. The battery was unhooked so i imagine i have to drive a bit to complete the cycle to know more but all the fuel trims seem to be around -8 to 8 ish just idleing. I think thats good. But like i said il know more after i drive it a bit. The maf was gunked up when i bought the car so il keep my eye on that. It went from 7gs/m to 1.2gs since i fixed the leak. Thanks though guys i prob wouldnt of checked the pcv again. See i was looking at the exauhst hose at first im like oh pcv is good lol little did i know it was tucked under that. Lol. I will do conversion in near future. Whats your guys fuel trims looking like. Or do they flucuate too much, im new to fuel trims somewhat.

Quick Reply: 98 camaro p0171