Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New build: Looking at EBC & tuning and boost by gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New build: Looking at EBC & tuning and boost by gear

I have a new Huron build, single 7875, ws6, auto, ls1, 2002, built tranny, btr stage 2 cam, 80# inj, walpro 455s, new water pump, timing chain, valve springs, trunion kit, ls6 intake. Huron Speed wastegate and Precision XS BOV.

I am running a GM 2 bar SD with stock ECM and shop put in base tune and it fires up and runs surprisingly well but still rough. Stalls without on the gas in Drive or Reverse. Idles solid at 800 but still lumpy, surging at idle.

I am running 4lbs WG to start and it is still VERY strong to me. Rips the conti extreme DSW sideways at 7lbs so we backed down, and I ordered NT05 for the rears.

I like to get a good EBC: I know boostleash, eboost2 is good one and AMS 500 but they dont do boost by gear. AMS 1000 or Hyperkontrol do but they are $1500

I saw a SirHC Coretx EBC that does true boost by gear with VSS, RPM, AFR inputs. Anyone use these?

Any auto guys that use boostleash for the street to do boost by gear, since
timed boost control doesn't make sense to me for the street.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

ams1000 should be pretty cheap by now. i paid about $450 for mine a few years ago.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Ecu-882c

Hi Jim, My ECU-882C will do those tasks with MANY MORE FEATURES.

I have the ability to remove features such as Coil/Injector control, then enable in the future.
That would lower the cost to $500.00, including the Data Logger as operational.

The nominal Boost control is MAPED by RPM/Air Temp/Target values then switches by SPEED to the four independent MAPS.
AFR is logged, RPM, MAP, etc.

There are GPIO's with four to chose from, one such could be a "shift light".
You could use another for PMW fan control (intercooler) Water/Meth, 2nd fuel pump, etc.

There is ALSO the ability to store TWO separate calibrations internally with access by a simple switch. (High Boost/Low Boost)

Lance
Old 12-23-2017, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i should add that there is no output in the HP tuners MPVI as of my last conversation with HPT support. so any boost by gear with the stock PCM will have to be a micro switch set up on a manual valve body auto or grabbing the trans solenoid control signal and using that to trigger a bank of relays
Old 12-29-2017, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Sirhc Cortex EBC. It has 2 std inputs: RPM and VSS, 1 general input good for 1 of 5 types. For mine I used the TPS. then it has 2 outputs for triggering.

It uses RPM/Speed ratio to know what gear the car is in. then you have 2d or 3d mapping to program boost by rpm by gear by tps and combination of the 3.

There is also spool and launch boost control features.

For the price and what I want it is perfect.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cortex EBC

Hi Jim,

Can you please tell me what you think about the Cortex boost controller ?

I need to choose one for my next rally car and I would like to have boost by rpm and very fast response of the EBC.

At first I wanted to buy the Autometer/Stack because it has boost by gear, rpm, speed and an external pressure sensor which allows to use a shorter hose (better response). Sadly, this device is limited to 30PSI and I need it to go up to 35. Stack told me that it is possible to go higher than 30psi by using their 60psi sensor but "all of the readings would be half"

I'm now thinking of buying the Cortex, it seems very interesting, with lots of functions but I wonder if it is responsive with its internal sensor.

Can you tell me what you think about it ?

Many thx,

David
Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 AM
Teching In

you could use a megasquirt2 as a piggyback to cotrol your boost.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Launching!

eboost 2 can have multiple boost groups. you can use a micro switch on the shifter to swap between boost groups for each gear.

for drag racing noting beats an AMS 2000 with Co2 and plotting a gate pressure vs. time graph. that way you're not limited by gears and pre set DC groups. you can launch at desired boost and ramp it in as hard and fast as the tires and track will let you.

Quick Reply: New build: Looking at EBC & tuning and boost by gear