PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Separate system for switching tunes on the fly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separate system for switching tunes on the fly?

I have an 05 6.0 lq9 bored .30 over with a Texas speed 228/232 .50 lift cam. Psi conversions stand alone wiring harness with blue green computer. Base tuned to run. Now I'm interested acuiring hp tuners and tuning it. I'd like to create 3 or 4 different operating tunes and be able to change them on the fly with a touch screen type monitor on my dash. What is the simplest method to make this work. Also do not need negative input on being a novice to tuning. I have a b.a. in computer science and decided to apply my skills to vehicle tuning. Only helpful comments please.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

OK, no harsh comments. I am also new. But what you are asking for is somewhat similar to replacing the OS on a desktop computer. It's not done on the fly at the touch of the screen. Your car will also very likely temporarily stop running at this point when you do the swap. At best it will be a pull to the side of the road and do the swap kind of thing.

People far smarter than me will soon chime in with likely better answers.

Rick
Old 04-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
OK, no harsh comments. I am also new. But what you are asking for is somewhat similar to replacing the OS on a desktop computer. It's not done on the fly at the touch of the screen. Your car will also very likely temporarily stop running at this point when you do the swap. At best it will be a pull to the side of the road and do the swap kind of thing.

People far smarter than me will soon chime in with likely better answers.

Rick
Okay, I understand what you are saying. So a friend of mine has a Duramax diesel with some type of tuner hooked up to it. He can change "stages" ,1-4 or 5, on the fly and I was thinking about something like that for my set-up.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Acorrado
Okay, I understand what you are saying. So a friend of mine has a Duramax diesel with some type of tuner hooked up to it. He can change "stages" ,1-4 or 5, on the fly and I was thinking about something like that for my set-up.
All those "tunes" do is alter sensor readings to fool the computer into thinking the engine is doing something it isn't. The actual tune is not touched.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I have an 05 6.0 lq9 bored .30 over with a Texas speed 228/232 .50 lift cam. Psi conversions stand alone wiring harness with blue green computer. Base tuned to run. Now I'm interested acuiring hp tuners and tuning it. I'd like to create 3 or 4 different operating tunes and be able to change them on the fly with a touch screen type monitor on my dash. What is the simplest method to make this work. Also do not need negative input on being a novice to tuning. I have a b.a. in computer science and decided to apply my skills to vehicle tuning. Only helpful comments please.
It depends on why you think you need 4 different tunes.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I think HP Tuners has something called the Ngauge. Might want to check that out.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

^doesnt have p1 support
Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
It depends on why you think you need 4 different tunes.
I would like to have an economy travel tune, an around town economy tune, and a ***** out tune for the occational street race.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
All those "tunes" do is alter sensor readings to fool the computer into thinking the engine is doing something it isn't. The actual tune is not touched.
Can you explain how it alters sensor readings? And when that happens, what does the motor actually do to compensate for these false readings. That whole thing just sounds bad for an engine and pcm.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Restricted User

I would like to have an economy travel tune, an around town economy tune, and a ***** out tune for the occational street race.
Those all sound like the same tune. Tuning for cruise/economy and wide open throttle are done in separate tables or separate parts of the same tables. They don't have to be separate tunes.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
^doesnt have p1 support
What do you mean by “P1 support”?

It seems like it would do what the OP is asking. Store multiple calibrations to load depending on different uses.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by KCS
Most Gen 3 PCMs.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Those all sound like the same tune. Tuning for cruise/economy and wide open throttle are done in separate tables or separate parts of the same tables. They don't have to be separate tunes.
So your saying I can have one tune and have separate input tables for different needs? And switch them through a monitor?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Restricted User

So your saying I can have one tune and have separate input tables for different needs? And switch them through a monitor?
No, I'm saying you only need one tune and no switching.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Teching In

No, I'm saying you only need one tune and no switching.
​​​​​​I want to have different fuel ratios for low mid and high range I'm performance mode but keep the ratios the same and lower in an economy mode. Can you explain what I would need to do with altering one tune? The performance tune would have a higher idle and such. I don't understand how my engine can be fuel efficient around town and have close shift points but also be all ***** and longer shift points all in the same tune.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Restricted User

​​​​​​I want to have different fuel ratios for low mid and high range I'm performance mode but keep the ratios the same and lower in an economy mode. Can you explain what I would need to do with altering one tune? The performance tune would have a higher idle and such. I don't understand how my engine can be fuel efficient around town and have close shift points but also be all ***** and longer shift points all in the same tune.
It doesn't use the same air/fuel for cruise as it does wide open throttle. Its not a carburetor. You can tune it to do almost anything whenever you want it to. You can cruise at 18:1 AFR and tune it to run 11:1 at wide open throttle. Its also not a distributor. Spark isn't locked or based only on vacuum. You don't need 2 tunes.

The air/fuel thing isn't anything special. Its done COMPLETELY in a normal tune. Same goes with shift points. You don't honestly think your car shifts at the same MPH at 5% throttle as it does 100%, do you? You can make it shift whenever you want, at whatever RPM or MPH you want based on how much throttle you're giving it.

Let someone who has experience in tuning handle what you want. If you took it to someone with an LCD to switch between 4 different tunes, he's going to pull your hair out after his.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

It doesn't use the same air/fuel for cruise as it does wide open throttle. Its not a carburetor. You can tune it to do almost anything whenever you want it to. You can cruise at 18:1 AFR and tune it to run 11:1 at wide open throttle. Its also not a distributor. Spark isn't locked or based only on vacuum. You don't need 2 tunes.

The air/fuel thing isn't anything special. Its done COMPLETELY in a normal tune. Same goes with shift points. You don't honestly think your car shifts at the same MPH at 5% throttle as it does 100%, do you? You can make it shift whenever you want, at whatever RPM or MPH you want based on how much throttle you're giving it.

Let someone who has experience in tuning handle what you want. If you took it to someone with an LCD to switch between 4 different tunes, he's going to pull your hair out after his.
^This....All youre asking for is that someone tune it RIGHT.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Okay I understand what you are saying.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

It seems like it would do what the OP is asking. Store multiple calibrations to load depending on different uses.

they may expand it's range to our computers but currently the furthest back they reach is the e38 and only a limited few OS of those.

the p1 and p59 computers are a saturated market. HPTuners is unlikely to further enhance the GUI or add any features for us.

As demonstrated by the loss of user configurable outputs and reliable stand alone data logging, we're simply being left in the dust.

Shame too that ngauge looks pretty useful.