Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HPTuner help, quick!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need HPTuner help, quick!

I just got HP Tuners and have a major learning curve ahead of me, I have very little knowledge of EFI systems. All of these numbers and values make my head spin . First, are there any publications out there to help me learn what these values mean? Second, I tried to raise my shift points, but I can't get it to take, wtf? . I changed the WOT shift speed vs. shift and WOT shift RPM vs. shift two times but I still shift at the same RPM. Please help!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

print out the help file and go one by one through the options and see what they do.

DEave
Old 07-09-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fast01
I just got HP Tuners and have a major learning curve ahead of me, I have very little knowledge of EFI systems. All of these numbers and values make my head spin . First, are there any publications out there to help me learn what these values mean? Second, I tried to raise my shift points, but I can't get it to take, wtf? . I changed the WOT shift speed vs. shift and WOT shift RPM vs. shift two times but I still shift at the same RPM. Please help!
Like said above the help they provide is more than most companies provide and from what I hear it is getting even better. I would just do a search for raising shift points on HP Tuners forum or this one as this is a common request and you may even have to put in LS1 Edit in the search criteria as most of the tables\principles are the same between the two products.

BTW, Make sure your speed matches your shift point RPM that you want to be shifting at. If you reach your speed first it will shift before the RPM is reached.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, I figured it out . I'm running in the GM EFI series race tomorrow at English Town , I hope I pick up something with the change. The car was shifting at 6100 before. With the LS6 I'm sure I was losing something.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monodax
BTW, Make sure your speed matches your shift point RPM that you want to be shifting at. If you reach your speed first it will shift before the RPM is reached.
No, the WOT shift happens after the last of the two
(RPM, MPH) is satisfied. If your MPH is too high you
will not upshift before you hit the rev limiter.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
No, the WOT shift happens after the last of the two
(RPM, MPH) is satisfied. If your MPH is too high you
will not upshift before you hit the rev limiter.
I always try to get them right on meaning the MPH and RPM would be so close that it shifts perfectly. I just do some trial and error after using the gear calculators to see where the baseline MPH I need to enter at what speed I think I need to shift @ and then do some practice runs to get it where I need it. BTW, this is on my 94 Z-28 A4 so but I assume the logic based on what you are saying appears to be the same.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't want to assume anything about LT1 cars,
whether the logic is the same; I don't know much
about those. Totally different PCM, who knows?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't you zero out the mphmand just shift by rpm? That's what my friend did to my car and it shifts great now. We kept hitting the Limiter trying to get the rpm's and mph to match up.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't zero it out, but I follow that principle.
Set the MPH Thresholds to well below your desired shift point. Then, just use the RPM thresholds to fine-tune where you actually shift.

BOTH thresholds must be met for the shift to occur (assuming there is nothing wrong).
Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Shifting only occurs after both shift flags have been met......MPH and RPM.

This is way that I always did it.

1st Gear: Shift flag on MPH because converter flash our of the hole can goof up the RPM shifting.
2nd Gear: Shift flag on RPM. More accurate and tire expansion can goof up your MPH calc
3rd Gear: Shift flag on RPM. Same reason as 2nd.

JMO