Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Schools

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tuning Schools

Is there a consensus on tuning schools? I'm mostly interested in the GM stuff. I've been messing with my HP tuner on a couple of different vehicles. Even got paid to tune one truck, but I still have tons to learn. I'm an experienced automotive tech and auto instructor. Totally new to tuning though.
Is there one school that stands out? Please give me your recommendations.
Joe

Last edited by JoeRJr; 02-07-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking for an online course? Or did you actually want to go to a physical school and learn on a Dyno. There are tons of really good learn at home courses, but as far as Dyno tuning hands on, The Tuning School would be the one that comes to mind.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. I did look at the Tuning School, but their next GM class is in March or April and it's already full. I guess that's a good class!
I originally was looking at classroom style learning, but the next best thing would be books. I'd absorb more by reading it than by watching a video.
Joe
Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Yea to be honest, it's a slow process but you can learn A LOT by digging. This forum is good, the HP tuners forum is good as well. The vehicle specific forums tend to be pretty junk for tuning know how.

Not sure what your skill level is, sounds like you have the basics down, but if you're still trying to figure out things like what volumetric efficiency really means, there are some really good EFI basics books available on amazon that aren't specific to GM tuning. You'll need the base knowledge to understand why you're doing things.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I have the SA Design Greg Banish book on tuning. VERY good in spite of it being over 10 years old.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

This one?

Amazon Amazon

Yea I read it as well, agreed. Good place to start.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by DFORESI
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Greg-Banish-M.../dp/B00HTK1AOE

Yea I read it as well, agreed. Good place to start.
That be it! Good stuff!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DFORESI
Not sure what your skill level is, sounds like you have the basics down, but if you're still trying to figure out things like what volumetric efficiency really means, there are some really good EFI basics books available on amazon that aren't specific to GM tuning. You'll need the base knowledge to understand why you're doing things.
As a rookie tuner, I have huge holes in my game. I understand the goals, but not the process. I've tuned an endless number of carbureted vehicles over the years. Snowmobiles, motorcycles, cars and more. I own a portable 5 gas, and understand how to use it.
The reason I know a school would help me is this:
I see posts about tuning in open loop. So in my mind I think the process is-Use the scanner to zero the fuel trims, disconnect the front O2s. Install the Wide Band and start tuning. Do the VE table first. Go to the PE table next. Finish with timing. Re-enable the front O2s. Double check the VE table.

I'm not sure if the O2s need to be disabled with my tuner or not. I beliueve that is done in the Diagnostics tab, but not sure which setting to use.
Then there's a pile of torque management stuff that I'm not sure what it does, other than de-torquing the engine during shifts, or for failsafe operation.
Lots of little stuff like that.

A book would be great. I'll pick up that one on Amazon. Every little bit helps.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by JoeRJr; 02-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

If you buy the online course from The Tuner School you can talk directly with their team to ask them specific questions. They have different levels, I imagine your best bet is to call them and ask what they suggest.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought them all when I learned. I learned the most from ERM performance, and it was also the cheapest.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

[QUOTE=JoeRJr;20045257]As a rookie tuner, I have huge holes in my game. I understand the goals, but not the process. I've tuned an endless number of carbureted vehicles over the years. Snowmobiles, motorcycles, cars and more. I own a portable 5 gas, and understand how to use it.
The reason I know a school would help me is this:
I see posts about tuning in open loop. So in my mind I think the process is-Use the scanner to zero the fuel trims, disconnect the front O2s. Install the Wide Band and start tuning. Do the VE table first. Go to the PE table next. Finish with timing. Re-enable the front O2s. Double check the VE table.

I'm not sure if the O2s need to be disabled with my tuner or not. I beliueve that is done in the Diagnostics tab, but not sure which setting to use.
Then there's a pile of torque management stuff that I'm not sure what it does, other than de-torquing the engine during shifts, or for failsafe operation.
Lots of little stuff like that.

A book would be great. I'll pick up that one on Amazon. Every little bit helps.

Thanks,
Joe[/QUOTE
Your level of knowledge appears to be a bit above what most "tuning school" type information is designed for. You will probably be wasting your time having stuff you already know explained to you. As for things like torque management, the particulars change with every model of every make of vehicle, so you just have to stay up yo speed on what works with whatever you are tuning. Once you know the basics, everything else is a matter of ever-evolving details inherent to the particular platform you are working with.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was wrong on the O2 sensors. At least for my trucks. I found where you can set the min temps for open and closed loops. That's what I should be doing, and not disabling the front O2s. I was able to pick up one book, and a guy I know let me borrow another one in the same series. I'm picking away at it slowly. I read, play with some tune files....read some more. My current job has me on a lot of airplanes, so I can fly, read and play with tunes and nobody can bother me!

Joe
Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If your wanting to tune the VE table, yes STFT and LTFT need to be turned off. With my ecm I have drop down boxes that disable the trims. Some don't. Disable the MAF in the engine and engine diag section. Your O2's cant be messing with the fueling while your doing the same thing. You need a Wideband AFR gauge for this method. This is the method I use, because I have removed the MAF.

As for schooling, I'm in the same boat. There's only so much people can help you with over the web. I've been actually looking into hands on schooling and I keep getting drawn to the Sam Tech aka (School of Automotive Machinists). Mainly because of their reputation and contacts. If someone just wants to learn as a hobby and get caught up a little then The Tuning School I'm sure would gain a person some knowledge. You'd get one on one interaction and some hands on experience. I myself want to be fully involved in tuning and enjoy leaning about it. Sam Tech's cost is by far the most expensive but I believe they have the most to offer in the way of getting a person going in the right direction. Plus get 8 months worth of dyno and class room experience.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe,

As gametech stated you will probably be wasting your money by going to that class. In my opinion you are learning the right way. I have taught/helped several people learn how to tune and it sounds like you know how an engine operates so you are light years ahead of some guys!!! The easiest way to go about it is to make small changes (2% at a time) until you know what you are changing. Also if you keep changing something and it just keeps doing nothing, then stop, and figure out why it is not responding. Once you figure out how to tune your vehicle perfectly, put the stock file back in it and start over using all the new tricks you have learned. Make sure you take notes as far as what you changed that worked and didnt work because if youre like most of us you will forget it.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Greg Banish has 2 books, and Dan Maslic has 1 book. These books combined with Greg's videos and some EFI Live tutorials online have done everything I've ever needed to when tuning. Also.....forums like this to ask questions for those special cases.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgrade 98TA, to 411 ecm/4L80e

Ordered custom harness that plugs in to stock plugs on passenger side. Pin for 4L80e, and 411 ecm. Fuel hand pegged. Do I need to flash a tune in from a 2000+ TA, and add the 4L80e. Do I totally rewrite the ecm to the 2000 TA?
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Ordered custom harness that plugs in to stock plugs on passenger side. Pin for 4L80e, and 411 ecm. Fuel hand pegged. Do I need to flash a tune in from a 2000+ TA, and add the 4L80e. Do I totally rewrite the ecm to the 2000 TA?
You should probably start your own thread...but heres a place for you to start
http://www.chipsbyal.com/convert98/
Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I bought them all when I learned. I learned the most from ERM performance, and it was also the cheapest.
I cam in here to post this.

OP, got to the HPT forums in the GEN III section. I know that a lot of people really enjoy his courses and have learned a lot.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunatley Ed from ERM recently passed away . I had some correspondence with him on a tuning issue he seemed a straight up good guy. Life is short.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
Unfortunatley Ed from ERM recently passed away . I had some correspondence with him on a tuning issue he seemed a straight up good guy. Life is short.
Damn, I hate to hear that. I knew he was fighting cancer and thought he had beaten it.