PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone willing to help an F-Body out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ChopperDoc - Definitely keep up the videos. Who knows you could be the next Youtube sensation? LOL. As we know it's not I wanna be a Rock Star who plays music anymore. I subscribed to your channel with my YkHawk id in case you saw that and were wondering. Going to try and post a video from my day when I should have hit the 9's but you will see what happened.... It's funny and you will hear my wife at the end....

Thanks for posting the HP Tuners video above, I do not have the WEGO 3 product for permanent installation yet..., just the Innovate LM1 bigger black box unit with the display.. I'm hoping to get my gauges re-attached and seems like I need to work on some calibration between my LM1 box and my AFR Wide band meter. Well pretty much have wasted the morning on my 1 day off this week and need to get back to it.....

Here is what I don't know,,,,,,,, I've got a pretty significant build. With all that's changed, would it benefit me to install narrow O2's and still have my WB 02's installed for tuning? Or is that a waste? I did not need them in the past, but the timing was also a short window. I really wish LMR (LateModel Racecraft in Houston, Tx) did not go under.... I need to talk with them, and while they may fear I'm upset, I'm not.

I still wonder how many of the LS1 techer's I knew from 2004 to 2008 are still around and on the site. Doesn't seem like any at this point, and hoping someone can help me get in contact with Steven Ferreday ( aka Worm Boy)...other thing is I don't know if he would remember..

Thanks again...
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

BUUUUMMER! 9-inch time! lol
Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2kHawk05
ChopperDoc - Definitely keep up the videos. Who knows you could be the next Youtube sensation? LOL. As we know it's not I wanna be a Rock Star who plays music anymore. I subscribed to your channel with my YkHawk id in case you saw that and were wondering. Going to try and post a video from my day when I should have hit the 9's but you will see what happened.... It's funny and you will hear my wife at the end....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOLm7yUz8Iw

Thanks for posting the HP Tuners video above, I do not have the WEGO 3 product for permanent installation yet..., just the Innovate LM1 bigger black box unit with the display.. I'm hoping to get my gauges re-attached and seems like I need to work on some calibration between my LM1 box and my AFR Wide band meter. Well pretty much have wasted the morning on my 1 day off this week and need to get back to it.....

Here is what I don't know,,,,,,,, I've got a pretty significant build. With all that's changed, would it benefit me to install narrow O2's and still have my WB 02's installed for tuning? Or is that a waste? I did not need them in the past, but the timing was also a short window. I really wish LMR (LateModel Racecraft in Houston, Tx) did not go under.... I need to talk with them, and while they may fear I'm upset, I'm not.

I still wonder how many of the LS1 techer's I knew from 2004 to 2008 are still around and on the site. Doesn't seem like any at this point, and hoping someone can help me get in contact with Steven Ferreday ( aka Worm Boy)...other thing is I don't know if he would remember..

Thanks again...
Was that today? That sucks brother. Yeah I'll put together some more videos soon, especially for odds and ends that I know, like how to tune the IAC and so on. Little things that rarely get talked about, or when they do, people do it wrong, or not as effectively as they could. I've definitely not seen a video on that. Had a post earlier I saw from a month ago with a guy having issues with that.

For your O2 question, I would ask, are the widebands making inputs to the PCM? I just run the stockers, Bosch I think, or AC Delco, can't remember off the top of my head which. I have a second bung welded in for WB installation just behind my header on the drivers side. Mine is a perm install for nitrous later, but the wires from my gauge hang out the back of the center console and are already hooked to the green plug for the MPVI unit. The video from the Tuning School is still useful as it shows you which inputs to put where. Doesn't matter which WB you have so long as it has an analog output. That will come out of the back of the gauge itself.

I have no idea however where the wires go on the MPVI2 though lol. Someone here does, but for now, I ain't trading in nothing until I know that it works, with WB and all that.

Anyway, with the stock ones, you can turn on your STFT's to help regulate your open loop AFR, but not required. Definitely helps with about everything AFR wise except idle. Trims and cams don't mix that great lol. False lean is a bitch when you have trims on. PE set to 1.0 through 1200 or 1600 RPM with an enable of 0% TPS for those same RPMs solves that pretty quick though. Trims are disabled in PE.

If I were in the States right now I would snap a pic of how I have my WB set up it, but alas, I am not and won't be for some time.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Ok, just so everyone knows - I broke OEM parts and then started breaking after market parts ( ie: built up my 10 bolt and within 2 weeks the ring & pinion broke using corvette wheels and Kumho tires, wheel hopped on the street just doing a simple burnout after a men's bible study, yes that happened.) Said F" IT, install a 12 bolt Moser..... That particular time was 10 years ago while I was still testing and tuning to hit a 9 second 1/4 mile. After this video, installed a Spool with .410 gears... Still testing and tuning. So, I twisted the hell out of my aluminum driveshaft, broke the T-56 twice, destroyed 2 rear end gear sets. Now have my car literally "Solid" from the rotating assembly to the ground.. Solid roller cam, viper internals in my t-56, moser .410 spool, oh and I cannot forget the Stage 3 street / strip ETP heads. In 2007 I did not know doing a RE-Porting & Polishing of CNC machined heads (862 - LS Truck heads) would fail as quickly as they did. 1 corner I thought I had covered but again did not know. I strongly believe the heads failed when my car was dyno'd (while I was not there) and my car spun out or free spun. The shop wanted to see the 750 rwhp number on the dyno sheet, so they hit the N20 on the dyno..I still don't know how high the RPMs got that day, but I was told my car produced 1300+ rwhp and 728 ft lbs torque. (750/728 were believable numbers and I never saw the dyno sheet). The saddest part is I did not know the heads had 2 holes in the water jacket behind the exhaust valve. I had 2 goals at the time - Get my car featured in GM High Tech Performance and win the $10K on Pinks All Out. Remember this was 10 years ago. My car was built to be a Mid-high 9 to 10.20 car.... seemed realistic. Life got real crazy in 2009, 2010, and then moved from Houston to Austin 2011. Lost all my local contacts. The money tree ran out...Now we know the rest... I built this really nice car for the time period, now I just want to get it running as I am getting older and just watch my baby sit there, and now they are making production cars with as much HP as mine... still don't know if these modern day numbers are real and actual numbers to the ground.

That's the cliff notes to my story....

Everyone have a great day.. mine is improving each and every... I never see 98-02 F-body's anymore. Getting mine back on the road should be a blast...
Old 03-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Sorry fo the broke rear. However, for the fueling...

You have a transient fuel issue. Injectors are approx. 2x stock size, but your min fueling has not been adjusted in transient fueling. Go to fuel - transient, and set that minimum fuel mg to 0.010 and then return your VE table.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Darth, forgot about that lol.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r

You have a transient fuel issue. Injectors are approx. 2x stock size, but your min fueling has not been adjusted in transient fueling. Go to fuel - transient, and set that minimum fuel mg to 0.010 and then return your VE table.
Freaking Awesome! Thanks! Lol "for the broke rear." Work insane hours tomorrow. next day off Friday.... will keep posted...
Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

My dumb *** may have missed one of the instructions above... made the Fuel transient change but did not know what was meant by return your VE table.. Car runs but now is more sluggish. AFR on Innovate LM 1 reads 12.1 to 13. 5, 13.7 and around 14.6 at idle. Car starts out idling high 1200 1400 and once gets warmed up is having trouble staying started looming around 800+ change up and down then dies..

Still cannot get the added channels to show up when I record the Data log.. See them on the scanner and while the car is running, but never on the data log..

Was planning on taking my car to work tomorrow, but the way its running right now... not so sure... Still need to put necessary miles to get the pcm reset for State Inspection, registration and a few other little things and then I can actually drive the car - not just the block I run around . It's a little daunting as I live in the hills around Austin, Texas..

Trying to watch $$$ out and not wasting: I have 4 - O2 sensor bungs in my exhaust with 2 bungs capped (very rusted at this point). Would it be worth the $$$ spent to go ahead and install narrow 02 bands? Will I really gain anything for tuning purposes? Or just see more data?

Tune and latest log attached..
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
03-29-19 8-50 Am Log.hpl (178.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

My dumb *** may have missed one of the instructions above... made the Fuel transient change but did not know what was meant by return your VE table.. Car runs but now is more sluggish. AFR on Innovate LM 1 reads 12.1 to 13. 5, 13.7 and around 14.6 at idle. Car starts out idling high 1200 1400 and once gets warmed up is having trouble staying started looming around 800+ change up and down then dies..

Still cannot get the added channels to show up when I record the Data log.. See them on the scanner and while the car is running, but never on the data log..

Was planning on taking my car to work tomorrow, but the way its running right now... not so sure... Still need to put necessary miles to get the pcm reset for State Inspection, registration and a few other little things and then I can actually drive the car - not just the block I run around . It's a little daunting as I live in the hills around Austin, Texas..

Trying to watch $$$ out and not wasting: I have 4 - O2 sensor bungs in my exhaust with 2 bungs capped (very rusted at this point). Would it be worth the $$$ spent to go ahead and install narrow 02 bands? Will I really gain anything for tuning purposes? Or just see more data?

Damn, I wish those inputs would show up in the log. That makes this much harder to diagnose. No idea why the inputs wouldn't show up, can't say I've had that problem. For your idle issues, it kind of looks like it's surging. Try playing with the timing in the scanner, as well as pulling some fuel in the idle regions on the VE table. Your adaptives might be messing with you too. Still working on an idle tuning guide, which I'll get done one of these days. It's a LOT to cover because idle problems are really hard to iron out sometimes.

I will say that spark and fuel are the biggest factors in getting the idle right. Too much spark and the engine will hang, too little and it will undershoot and possibly surge when the computer tries to save it. I usually set the adaptives lower for the amounts they compensate for RPM error, to take some of the over/under shooting and surging out. Also, big cams like to buck with too much timing on the low end, from about 1500-2500 rpm. Pull a few degrees out and see if it calms down. All can be done to find the happy place in the scanner. It's a very nice tool to be able to reduce timing while logging. Note the number where it's happiest and pull that from your tables.

Getting too rich on the VE is also not helping you. As far as your question of putting the stock O2's in, this isn't going to change anything so long as you're in Speed Density. There are no trims, and that's what the O2's control.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:05 PM

"Return" was Siri trying to "help" I meant reTUNE your VE table. Now with that min fuel mg setting fixed, your injectors can go to lower fuel delivery vs before. This requires that you retune the low fuel delivery portion of the VE table. As to the narrow bands, yes if you have them available, hook them up and go to closed loop. One, we can see them on the logs, and 2, we can use the feedback to refine the VE table.

One thing I also do in that transient area is set the min rpm to 1100 vs 450. This cuts transient fueling in your idle ranges and helps get it right.

And, to be clear, you are adding the channels and SAVING the Channels config before starting a log?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Getting too rich on the VE is also not helping you. As far as your question of putting the stock O2's in, this isn't going to change anything so long as you're in Speed Density. There are no trims, and that's what the O2's control.
Fuel trims work just fine in SD. All you have to do is drop your closed loop enable ECT vs IAT table values off of 140 to enable closed loop.

@Y2K...

There is a LOT of stuff going on in here now that I've been able to take a closer look. The first three steps to getting the tune are fueling, fueling, and fueling. beyond the transient settings, I also saw that the secondary VE table was NOT getting modified to match the primary table. in your year OS, the ECU runs off the secondary VE table in SD mode. if you want it to run off the primary, then install the custom 1-bar SDOS. Otherwise, you need to copy your 20, 30, 40, etc rows from primary table to secondary table EVERY TIME you tune the VE table. i did this. it likely made you richer, but they gotta match or you're chasing your tail.

Next. WAY too much base idle spark and not enough corrective spark. Look at it this way. peak idle torque is at 33 degrees. You're idling mid to high 20's. This means you don't have much room in your adaptive spark to help contain idle speed. Your adaptive spark wasn't really doing much at all. Set base spark to 20 degrees. Does NOT have to match the main tables. In fact I find it does better not to. 0 and 400 columns I set to 32 degrees as a stall saver. When you run more base air and reduced base spark, it stabilizes the idle greatly. Allows adaptive spark to help contain the idle. I set it pretty aggressive at first. Once idle is stable, you can start reducing adaptive spark to smooth out the chop

Third. Airflows. your long term idle trims were set such that you could permanently save LARGE negative idle airflow trims. This will cause severe undershooting at return to idle. I soften up the derivative values some and run different proportional and integral values based on airflow demand and CID. i think you're commanding too much base air, but I would leave that alone and see what you get right now. if your spark starts cutting way back, then you need to reduce base airflow. if nothing else, use your idle dynamic airflow as a starting point if you are at stoich. Your IAC table was still lstock, but you have a 90mm throttle. A decent starting point is to move that table 6 cells right. I would probably set your base idle airflow to 15 g/s, but not at first until you see how these changes do.

After all of the above, it will likely still be rich, but should settle down much better. In the attached, I made all the changes plus some others. you'll have to use the compare feature to find them all. Apparently your controller is included in the unlimited license I have.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel trims work just fine in SD. All you have to do is drop your closed loop enable ECT vs IAT table values off of 140 to enable closed loop.

@Y2K...

There is a LOT of stuff going on in here now that I've been able to take a closer look. The first three steps to getting the tune are fueling, fueling, and fueling. beyond the transient settings, I also saw that the secondary VE table was NOT getting modified to match the primary table. in your year OS, the ECU runs off the secondary VE table in SD mode. if you want it to run off the primary, then install the custom 1-bar SDOS. Otherwise, you need to copy your 20, 30, 40, etc rows from primary table to secondary table EVERY TIME you tune the VE table. i did this. it likely made you richer, but they gotta match or you're chasing your tail.

Next. WAY too much base idle spark and not enough corrective spark. Look at it this way. peak idle torque is at 33 degrees. You're idling mid to high 20's. This means you don't have much room in your adaptive spark to help contain idle speed. Your adaptive spark wasn't really doing much at all. Set base spark to 20 degrees. Does NOT have to match the main tables. In fact I find it does better not to. 0 and 400 columns I set to 32 degrees as a stall saver. When you run more base air and reduced base spark, it stabilizes the idle greatly. Allows adaptive spark to help contain the idle. I set it pretty aggressive at first. Once idle is stable, you can start reducing adaptive spark to smooth out the chop

Third. Airflows. your long term idle trims were set such that you could permanently save LARGE negative idle airflow trims. This will cause severe undershooting at return to idle. I soften up the derivative values some and run different proportional and integral values based on airflow demand and CID. i think you're commanding too much base air, but I would leave that alone and see what you get right now. if your spark starts cutting way back, then you need to reduce base airflow. if nothing else, use your idle dynamic airflow as a starting point if you are at stoich. Your IAC table was still lstock, but you have a 90mm throttle. A decent starting point is to move that table 6 cells right. I would probably set your base idle airflow to 15 g/s, but not at first until you see how these changes do.

After all of the above, it will likely still be rich, but should settle down much better. In the attached, I made all the changes plus some others. you'll have to use the compare feature to find them all. Apparently your controller is included in the unlimited license I have.
Good stuff Darth. I second this. Yeah I know you can run Open Loop STFT's, however, when tuning, especially idle, I wouldn't say that's the focus and they'd be best left off. It would be just one more thing to mess with the idle.

I didn't have much time today to go through the tune, but glad you did. I forgot about his secondary VE table. That's a 97-98 thing, as far as I know. The 0411 OS doesn't have it. Should of covered that in the guide since I still have my old tune files, and that is exactly what you have to do. Copy row by row. It's pretty much every other one too. Annoying, but vital.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Good stuff Darth. I second this. Yeah I know you can run Open Loop STFT's, however, when tuning, especially idle, I wouldn't say that's the focus and they'd be best left off. It would be just one more thing to mess with the idle.

I didn't have much time today to go through the tune, but glad you did. I forgot about his secondary VE table. That's a 97-98 thing, as far as I know. The 0411 OS doesn't have it. Should of covered that in the guide since I still have my old tune files, and that is exactly what you have to do. Copy row by row. It's pretty much every other one too. Annoying, but vital.
Thanks man. Sent you a PM. The tutorials you're doing are a great contribution!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Chopper & Darth
I can't thank you guys enough. I'm the D' *** learning here (lol) & you guys are really helping out. Restored my hope & faith in the LS1 tech for sure. Downloaded Darth's version and getting ready to go write.

Chopper, if you are not in the States, where are you now?..... saw that ^^^^^^^ and wondered....
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Chopper, if you are not in the States, where are you now?
If he told you he'd hafta kill you. lol
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If he told you he'd hafta kill you. lol
lol - adding to my dilemma - As I'm backing out with new tune to get another log a neighbor approaches me as an HOA member stating there are many complaints about my car and how loud it is..... I explained im merely tuning to get this back on the road... I have not taken my car over 30 mph in the 1 mile inside loop within my subdivision. The time I got my car to 60 or so was on the main subdivision road. Absolutely no abuse, can't - the car isn't running right yet. I should be expecting letters and fines she continued to say....

Let's see - no cats, dynomax Outlaw muffler over the axle exhaust out the back... Don't have the down pipe currently installed - too loud for the street....

Decided to give it a rest for this evening...
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 AM

I went through that too. If you are looking around the neighborhood and cannot figure out who *that* neighbor is, it probably you
Old 03-30-2019, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chopper & Darth
I can't thank you guys enough. I'm the D' *** learning here (lol) & you guys are really helping out. Restored my hope & faith in the LS1 tech for sure. Downloaded Darth's version and getting ready to go write.

Chopper, if you are not in the States, where are you now?..... saw that ^^^^^^^ and wondered....
I'm in the sandbox, KSA. Doing some stuff and things and such here in da desert. Nothing to see here. It's boring stuff, but involves military sales. I can't honestly get too much into nor want to on public forums.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the sandbox, KSA. Doing some stuff and things and such here in da desert. Nothing to see here. It's boring stuff, but involves military sales. I can't honestly get too much into nor want to on public forums.
Sounds bad ***. Military sales... cool.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Newest log since changes, I can drive it, but is popping quite a bit and is sluggish at the moment. At least it's rich and not lean.... Still need help...

Attached Files
File Type: hpl
1st log 4-4-19.hpl (204.4 KB, 25 views)