Sponsored by:

HP Tuners - Video Guides

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 581 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyTA
Hey Kfx,

Thanks again. I'm actually running open-loop speed density tune. When I'm at 180ish ECT, my VE table is spot on. It's 14.4 to 15.0 at any given moment. Pretty good and tight window.
If I start adjusting my VE to give me more fuel based upon higher temperatures, all that ends up happening is that I now run rich when I'm back down to 180F (where my car normally operates).

It's when I leave the car off at a parking lot some where and allow the temps to go up because of trapped heat and lack of air from moving and I assume raising my IAT's, when I start it, it's lean every where and stays lean until I'm back down around to 180F ECT once I get moving and air is flowing through the engine bay. Once I reach around that temperature of 160F to 185F, I'm back to good stoich operation.

That rear o2 thing is interesting...

It's a Gen 3 stock PCM that comes with our cars. (1999 trans am/camaro)

Thanks,
Andy

Edit:

At first I thought it was fuel pressure/vapor lock issue, but that can't be the case with an FPR set at 60psi to the rails at all times.
AIR Pump is disabled already
I don't think 1999 PCM's had a properly functioning Cylinder Bias Temperature unfortunately.

Maybe I need to fudge with the OLFA table.

I have an 04 ls1 gto. Cable throttle body. So it’s probably the same computer or very close. Have you tried enabling open loop back on and see what it does?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I have an 04 ls1 gto. Cable throttle body. So it’s probably the same computer or very close. Have you tried enabling open loop back on and see what it does?
I *am* open loop - look at my post above fam ;-)
Old 10-26-2019, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idle scan what u guys think. iac counts are high but seams to be ok, idle alilttle high but not terrible
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
idle-scan.hpl (620.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:44 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Great to see this development. Does this have the capability to delete VATS yet?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Anyone have a tune file for a 2000 Camaro v8 auto A4 stock tune that hasn't upgraded their HP tuners software from 3.4? Can't seem to view the ones in the HP tuners repository because I'm on ver 3.4.89
Old 12-10-2019, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Great to see this development. Does this have the capability to delete VATS yet?
Yes, you can delete it, or even do a relink. What HP Tuners can't do is anything related to the Body Control Module (BCM) or other non-engine related modules. HP Tuners is engine and trans only, (powertrain) and that's it. To do the other stuff, like ABS for example, you'd need a tech II. HPT does a ton of things, and in reality, a lot more than what a tech II can do since you can edit so much of the PCM with it, but it can't touch other anti-theft stuff like the radio because that's BCM related. VATS is PCM, so HPT can edit that.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for being out of the loop. Been busy lately, will be getting my hands dirty again soon so I will be making some more videos. I know, I know, I keep saying that, but life gets in the way of these things, and I want to make sure I do them right. Sorry if I have not responded to you guys. I'm still here, lurking, at least once a week. Like I said, I will get back to doing additional videos soon. Unfortunately for this crowd, next will be based on a Mustang cam swap. If you have a 4.6L GT, then expect a FULL guide on how to upgrade/replace cams. I have to do it anyway, might as well make a complete tutorial, including the maintenance, followed by tuning the VCT, MAF, and so on. It's not something I've been able to find on YouTube or even forums so far, as to how to actually get the tune done. Fords are weird, so I guess I'll be showing my successes and probably failures too, since they are going to happen here lol. So long as the valves don't kiss though, it will be fine.

I'll be out for the next 30 days or so, but I will check back in here and there. Videos will obviously be after that and the holidays.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, if there is anything else you guys would like to see, please feel free to post here and I will do my best to cover it. I'll have my camaro too, so if you guys want me to research something or experiment, feel free to post on this thread.

And yes, the real purpose of post was so I could hit 1000 on my post count, but still, I am happy to try stuff out for folks, and now would be the time since I'll be home soon.
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-02-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Yes, you can delete it, or even do a relink. What HP Tuners can't do is anything related to the Body Control Module (BCM) or other non-engine related modules. HP Tuners is engine and trans only, (powertrain) and that's it. To do the other stuff, like ABS for example, you'd need a tech II. HPT does a ton of things, and in reality, a lot more than what a tech II can do since you can edit so much of the PCM with it, but it can't touch other anti-theft stuff like the radio because that's BCM related. VATS is PCM, so HPT can edit that.
Doc I blew it here I had multiple tabs open and that reply was meant for the thread with the new open source software guys. Apologies for cluttering your awesome thread with my useless post
Old 12-22-2019, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a mild built 6.0 (in the car but cold af) and I wanted to go speed density as my fellow friends are as well (I could help tune them better) but was scared to even attempt it.

After watching a few videos I pulled up my hp tuners and had a base map done in a hour.

Huge thanks to Doc. Best hp tuner vids on YT
Old 12-23-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Sorry for being out of the loop. Been busy lately, will be getting my hands dirty again soon so I will be making some more videos. I know, I know, I keep saying that, but life gets in the way of these things, and I want to make sure I do them right. Sorry if I have not responded to you guys. I'm still here, lurking, at least once a week. Like I said, I will get back to doing additional videos soon. Unfortunately for this crowd, next will be based on a Mustang cam swap. If you have a 4.6L GT, then expect a FULL guide on how to upgrade/replace cams. I have to do it anyway, might as well make a complete tutorial, including the maintenance, followed by tuning the VCT, MAF, and so on. It's not something I've been able to find on YouTube or even forums so far, as to how to actually get the tune done. Fords are weird, so I guess I'll be showing my successes and probably failures too, since they are going to happen here lol. So long as the valves don't kiss though, it will be fine.

I'll be out for the next 30 days or so, but I will check back in here and there. Videos will obviously be after that and the holidays.
Good stuff. I had a 99 GT that I bought when it came out. Had every bolt on and a 100 shot and ran a 11.7. Back then, my tuner used SCT on it.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Also, if there is anything else you guys would like to see, please feel free to post here and I will do my best to cover it.
I'd like to see a detailed step-by-step guide on how to calibrate for relocated O2 sensors. Should the narrowband error match the wideband error? Which tables to adjust, in which order to adjust the tables, how much to adjust them by, how to arrive at the populated values, what data & behavior to look for to know whether it is optimized, etc. Here's some detail from the HPT Forum but I can't wrap my head around the specific workflow.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...g-with-Headers

Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Subscribed! Thanks for making these.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Great videos Sir. It's been a long time since I've tuned a cammed LS engine and found your videos. I was able to brush up on a few things, and learned several things too.

The way you go about explaining things, well is far better than any videos I've seen so far.

I was happy that my H/C/I/E car started up first try and idled with no problems. It actually idles a little to well. I figured it would have more chop to it at idle(no I didn't by the cam for the sound)but it has 16 degrees of overlap and idles at 70kpa, but is smooth, if that makes any sense.

I've always tuned cruise/part throttle with STFT and WB for WOT(obviously). I've never tried OL tuning with the WB for everything. Since this is my personal vehicle I have a lot more time to play with it and try different things.

One thing that I would like to see, or explained, it how to use filters to better dial in the VE table and transiet fueling.

Thanks again for taking the time to make these videos.

Oh, IMO, 2v and 3v Fords are easier to tune, even with cams and boost...
Old 03-30-2020, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'd like to see a detailed step-by-step guide on how to calibrate for relocated O2 sensors. Should the narrowband error match the wideband error? Which tables to adjust, in which order to adjust the tables, how much to adjust them by, how to arrive at the populated values, what data & behavior to look for to know whether it is optimized, etc. Here's some detail from the HPT Forum but I can't wrap my head around the specific workflow.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...g-with-Headers
I've made massive adjustments on the switch points as well as the "zones" however, on a Gen III, I have found it doesn't seem to make the desired changes. That's just me going off past experience trying to solve for a false lean, etc, which is the biggest issue at idle. At RPM though, there is enough velocity in the pipes to reduce the error and it seems to work fine. So to really fix it, it simply much easier to run an OL Idle setup and CL above "X" RPM by utilizing PE mode to turn it off at idle. That is WAY easier than trying to get the switch points and zones to do what you are asking here.

Also, I apologize for the late response, it's been crazy lately for everyone I think.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Great videos Sir. It's been a long time since I've tuned a cammed LS engine and found your videos. I was able to brush up on a few things, and learned several things too.

The way you go about explaining things, well is far better than any videos I've seen so far.

I was happy that my H/C/I/E car started up first try and idled with no problems. It actually idles a little to well. I figured it would have more chop to it at idle(no I didn't by the cam for the sound)but it has 16 degrees of overlap and idles at 70kpa, but is smooth, if that makes any sense.

I've always tuned cruise/part throttle with STFT and WB for WOT(obviously). I've never tried OL tuning with the WB for everything. Since this is my personal vehicle I have a lot more time to play with it and try different things.

One thing that I would like to see, or explained, it how to use filters to better dial in the VE table and transiet fueling.

Thanks again for taking the time to make these videos.

Oh, IMO, 2v and 3v Fords are easier to tune, even with cams and boost...
Thank you for this comment.

To answer your question: For filters and trying to sort out transients, this is a pretty tall order with A LOT of really complex math involving thermodynamics and evap rates based on heat, vacuum, airflow, and time. Hell even the material of the heads and block matter lol. That doesn't mean I haven't worked on it though, because I have, and it is incredibly difficult to come up with a workable formula to determine exactly what the transients are, and what their actual units are in the tune. The units are not defined, so it's a ton of guess work, but you need to know that stuff about vacuum, heat, airflow etc. Higher vacuum increases evap, higher heat does too, higher airflow does too, etc. So it's not so simple to just "plug in a filter" per-say, because first the PCM needs to know the RAW VE number minus the transients to get "x" value for said transient, which is a ton of math. Look at my Airmass explained video for more on that, and then assume it involves a LOT more math. I really wish I could be helpful, but in some things the scanner is indeed limited. As in you cannot reference another user math with a user math. This here would be fantastic and help massively in getting somewhere on this, however, it's not possible, currently.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

New video posted - The long awaited "Boost Tune Setup for Gen III"
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-02-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

New video, beginning (finally) the 3 part series on scaling a tune. I started with the concept in order to broaden the application. Though this is a P01 (0411) walk through series, the concepts apply to any other Gen III PCM, and new if needed.

I have the basis of the engine video laid out already so it shouldn't take long for me to get that one together and posted for those that have been waiting for this.

Part 2 will be the Engine tables, and Part 3 will be the transmission, if this applies to you.

Hope you guys like it.
ddnspider (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Nice intro and getting through the basics!
Old 06-23-2020, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Nice intro and getting through the basics!
Thanks, I have a pretty good start on the other two parts, still working on it obviously lol. It takes quite some time to get things right. Appreciate the comment and your help as well. I'll make sure to link to your sticky... Don't let me forget lol.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

New video up! Tune Scaling Part 2 - Engine

Also the SCALING CALCULATOR is on the first post, at the bottom. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners - Video Guides