Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners - Video Guides

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi !
- First, thanks for all theses videos they are very helpfull and understandable for a French like me ahah !

- Second, I would like learn how to tune a Camshaft on a LS1 then after bigger heads so what I need to follow ?

- Third, I'm on a P59 PCM, so no Secondary VE, how can I tune it with only a primary

- Fourth, do you know how connect the wideband to a MVPI2 without the pro feature like EGR/AC voltage wire?

Thanks !
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Guillaume Malaquin
Hi !
- First, thanks for all theses videos they are very helpfull and understandable for a French like me ahah !

- Second, I would like learn how to tune a Camshaft on a LS1 then after bigger heads so what I need to follow ?

- Third, I'm on a P59 PCM, so no Secondary VE, how can I tune it with only a primary

- Fourth, do you know how connect the wideband to a MVPI2 without the pro feature like EGR/AC voltage wire?

Thanks !
Hi there, I can't comment on your cam question, but for wideband, you can get a serial input for your WB gage. If your computer does not have a serial port, you can get a USB adaptor and then download the driver for it. My MTX runs in this manner. Then you just go into the Channels and select whatever WB you have under serials connections. For example, I have the Innovate MTX so I selected this for mine, and then save your layout.

I have the same situation with a 98 PCM, so i don't have a secondary VE table, so im just tuning without it. Definitely suggest reviewing the VE tuning video. That helped me A TON!!!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You have it backwards. ONLY the 98 has a secondary VE table.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
Hi there, I can't comment on your cam question, but for wideband, you can get a serial input for your WB gage. If your computer does not have a serial port, you can get a USB adaptor and then download the driver for it. My MTX runs in this manner. Then you just go into the Channels and select whatever WB you have under serials connections. For example, I have the Innovate MTX so I selected this for mine, and then save your layout.

I have the same situation with a 98 PCM, so i don't have a secondary VE table, so im just tuning without it. Definitely suggest reviewing the VE tuning video. That helped me A TON!!!
The Serial port isn't for the MPVI and not MPVI2? I'll reviewing the video because I probably missed something as english isn't my first language

Originally Posted by ddnspider
You have it backwards. ONLY the 98 has a secondary VE table.
The 2000 Camaro have Secondary VE
Old 08-02-2020, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Now I'm going to have to pull out the tune folder. I thought the 98 was the only year with a backup VE.
G Atsma (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Now I'm going to have to pull out the tune folder. I thought the 98 was the only year with a backup VE.
I guess the Secondary VE was deleted in 2001
Old 08-02-2020, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guillaume Malaquin
The Serial port isn't for the MPVI and not MPVI2? I'll reviewing the video because I probably missed something as english isn't my first language

The 2000 Camaro have Secondary VE
I cant say for sure on the MPV1, but for the MVP2, I hooked up my WB gauge in this manner. I hooked the output connector on the MTX WB to the serial connecter, thru a usb to serial adaptor since i dont have an old serial port on my computer (most new ones don't have serials anymore) and then just set up your channels in your scanner.
As for the secondary VE, i don't have one unless I'm missing something, and I have a 98 car with a 98 PCM, that or the new MPVI2 doesn't have it maybe? I don't know.
I've noticed some older posts with MPVI1 look a little different than MPVI2. might need some more experienced people to chime in on that. Either way its splitting hairs at this point lol
Old 08-31-2020, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Any chance of some 4l60e and highet stall converter tuning advise or videos coming in the future? Im getting close to dialing in my VE thanks to your videos, and ill be adjusting some spark here soon. After that, ive got some stall tuning i need to account for with my 3800 stall and built 4l60e. It either downshifts and revs to the moon on wot really quick or it wont upshift unless i pedal it some.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

There's a good tuning sticky in the auto section, and another sticky by me about keeping the 4l60e alive lol. That stuff combined with an excel that is on EFI live/hpt for shift curves will give you a huge leg up on tuning.
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-31-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you much! Reviewed it and applied it and it is already making it shift way better! I'll add the changes and pictures to my own thread.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

So I finally got off my *** and found some time to make the final installment of the scaling series... The transmission tables. So here it is... Bump suckas....

The following 2 users liked this post by ChopperDoc:
cam (02-20-2021), tune2mbt (02-21-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is a lot of stuff going to be fun read ,
Old 02-13-2021, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see i have a whole lot to learn
Old 04-27-2021, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The link to the spreadsheet is not working, do you have an updated link?
Old 04-27-2021, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmer1g
Which link? The only Excel links I could find in the thread are in posts #1 & #62, and they both open fine for me, and the formulas seem to be working.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you follow the link from YouTube to here? If so, then it’s working perfectly. The “spreadsheet” file is on post #1 at the bottom as Jim said. There’s no link from here, just download the file. Hopefully that works for you.

I can check it tomorrow if it’s not and repost as required, but I don’t think that’s the problem. I’m pretty sure I have it saved on my desktop at work on my Gov computer lol.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man this thread is awesome! Thanks so much for the videos. I wish I had started to learn tuning 15 years ago so I wouldn't be so far behind but this has helped a ton.

I'd like to see some videos on how to clean up a previous bad tune or how to clean up some low end driveability issues on big cammed cars if you ever get a chance.

Thanks again Doc, really appreciate the info!
Old 05-09-2021, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Man this thread is awesome! Thanks so much for the videos. I wish I had started to learn tuning 15 years ago so I wouldn't be so far behind but this has helped a ton.

I'd like to see some videos on how to clean up a previous bad tune or how to clean up some low end driveability issues on big cammed cars if you ever get a chance.

Thanks again Doc, really appreciate the info!
Lately video production has been on the back burner for me, but I do have a few I’d like to make. I’ve battled those issues you are describing many times, I should have files and logs laying around that could be helpful for taming large cams. I’ll keep that one in mind.

As for cleaning up bad tunes, I like to just start fresh and tune it from the start. Many guys do that. It’s hard to know the theory behind someone else’s calibration as your trying to solve problems. It’s usually faster to just start clean.

I’m glad these videos have been helpful, as that is my intent. It’s always great to get good feedback. Thank you for that.
kyoytey1693 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tube Headers

First I have to say man these videos are awesome thank you for all your work. I do have a question about long tube headers and O2 sensors if and when do you do adjustments and what do you adjust. I am new to tuning so hopefully this isn’t a dumb question. I’ve done lots of searching on the net and you can find so many different answers.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

First I have to say man these videos are awesome thank you for all your work. I do have a question about long tube headers and O2 sensors if and when do you do adjustments and what do you adjust. I am new to tuning so hopefully this isn’t a dumb question. I’ve done lots of searching on the net and you can find so many different answers.
You may need to play with your O2 Proportional, Integral, and delay... I talk in depth on it at about the 20 minute mark on my Scaling video, part 2 of 3. You can definitely get the erratic stuff tuned down, but as for actual delay, GM doesn’t have a table for this with respect to sensor location like Ford does. Check out those tables though, it may answer your question.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners - Video Guides