Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero out Boost Enrichment and use PE (maybe) and VE table only

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 648 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Zero out Boost Enrichment and use PE (maybe) and VE table only

I posted this on the hp tuners forum and got no answer, I know theres some guys on here that know more about tuning than I do....so I'll post this here too.

Fellas, I keep getting this stupid glitch from time to time. I can make a couple changes and flash the computer and for some reason under boost it'll run real lean. Like my PE and/or my boost enrichment wont kick in. If I reflash the computer with making no changes, it seems to work fine.

For the detail oriented, it'll run at 11.8-11.9:1 when it glitches and when its running right it will be low 11's high 10's afr like I have it set to do. i'm running 18-22lbs boost on pump gas so it needs to be that rich. It loses ALOT of power at 11.9 and the boost is super laggy.

So, could i just not use the enrichment and just add it in the boost area of my VE? anything I should do additional?

I'm trying to think why enrichment is even needed, if the engine is in a loaded situation that requires enrichment, its going to be in a high map zone anyways, right?

Old 12-14-2020, 07:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Post your tune or screen shot of all your Power Enrich settings
Old 12-14-2020, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by minytrker
Post your tune or screen shot of all your Power Enrich settings
here you go.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:09 AM
9 Second Club

Give this a try, I just finished up a turbo car, here is the settings I had on that particular car. There are many settings you can use and each car may want or like something different. Also check your throttle (hot and cold) table.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Give this a try, I just finished up a turbo car, here is the settings I had on that particular car. There are many settings you can use and each car may want or like something different. Also check your throttle (hot and cold) table.

if you enable the PE at 15kpa and you exceed your TPS threshold, you'll go rich prematurely.....just sayin.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

LOL you asked for help not me, I dont have any issues with PE working or rich issue. Like I said in earlier post there are many settings that you can use and have to adjust to get desired results.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL you asked for help not me, I dont have any issues with PE working or rich issue. Like I said in earlier post there are many settings that you can use and have to adjust to get desired results.
I know, but I ran my settings like that and under light throttle it gets way too fat. If yours doesn’t, cool. I was just telling you my personal experience. No one is perfect and if I have an error, I wouldn’t mind someone letting me know. But hey, I appreciate the replies!
Old 12-16-2020, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Change your MAP Hys value from 20Kpa to 5Kpa

Post your tune to get a full evaluation
Old 12-16-2020, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Change your MAP Hys value from 20Kpa to 5Kpa

Post your tune to get a full evaluation
Ok. I’ll try that. But from what I know, if you drop 5kpa, it’ll disable the pe.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:20 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

On turbo cars I have done I end up having to fatten up the VE table in the pre-boost regions. Like a jump in the VE table from about 83-101 kpa.
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 190 Posts

Here's my PE/BE settings for comparison.
My higher RPM, higher MAP settings are sort of redundant, so it's a sort of fail-safe.
I've never seen it go too rich or too lean. It does what I ask it to, on 93 or E-85.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Here's my PE/BE settings for comparison.
My higher RPM, higher MAP settings are sort of redundant, so it's a sort of fail-safe.
I've never seen it go too rich or too lean. It does what I ask it to, on 93 or E-85.

The thing about mine is, it'll work fine, everytime. Then i could change something in the tune that has zero to do with fueling, and flash it and my PE setiings, both PE and BE wont enable. it'll run lean. I can then reflash it, WITH NO CHANGES and it'll start working again. So I know its not my settings. What i was wanting to do is just set it to where as a failsafe, I rely less on PE settings and the VE will at least make it mid 11's afr NO MATTER WHAT, whether PE works or not. I really thing this computer has something wrong with it. Or maybe its my laptop or the HP Tuners cable or software. One time I had to flash it twice to get it to work. I was scratching my head.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

at first i was wondering what you were trying to accomplish....
but that is pretty much how i tuned mine- create a duplicate VE table in the scanner to plot calc for the error percentage that the wideband reads (in EQ ratio) vs the commanded EQ value. i use it mostly for everything over 100kpa (narrow bands for everything under) just highlight the selected values and multiply by % to the corresponding cells
i guess its important for the ecm to know what the VE value is needed at 6500rpm to achieve 14.7afr but good chance it needs to be in PE/BE if its spun up that high

i just left the PE/BE tables populated also

Last edited by randeez; 12-17-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by randeez
at first i was wondering what you were trying to accomplish....
but that is pretty much how i tuned mine- create a duplicate VE table in the scanner to plot calc for the error percentage that the wideband reads (in EQ ratio) vs the commanded EQ value. i use it mostly for everything over 100kpa (narrow bands for everything under) just highlight the selected values and multiply by % to the corresponding cells
i guess its important for the ecm to know what the VE value is needed at 6500rpm to achieve 14.7afr but good chance it needs to be in PE/BE if its spun up that high

the way I see it, no matter what, I don’t want anything above 100kpa to be 14.7:1. I guess that’s what I was getting at. Just for safety in case it glitches.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:34 AM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

For starters don't ever use BE on the P01/P59 PCMs, not even as a fail safe IMO. I went round and round with the guys at HPT about that table in like 2007 but basically it runs in a VERY slow ring of code and can have a serious delay being used/referenced so the safer bet is to just use PE. The worst part is sometimes it's quick if get's "caught" at the right time in the subroutine but more often it has a much longer several second delay so it's random and unreliable. PE does not have this issue.

or

Just leave PE very low and use the VE table to compensate for your desired enrichment but then obviously certain things won't line up in the scanner like commanded AFR, airmass, etc. Big problem with this method is you can get closer to the ETC airflow limit more quickly since you are adding fuel in the VE vs PE and reported airflow goes up so it limits your resolution in the timing tables so I'm not a fan of it.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

You probably just have one of those picky little ecms. Is it a P59? I have seen more "little" odd issues with the P59's over the 0411's by 10/1.
I have changed the OS before and fixed one, and another I literally threw away because it annoyed me so much. I can't keep a ecm in I can't trust. This is just my experience that I have seen.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rpturbo
You probably just have one of those picky little ecms. Is it a P59? I have seen more "little" odd issues with the P59's over the 0411's by 10/1.
I have changed the OS before and fixed one, and another I literally threw away because it annoyed me so much. I can't keep a ecm in I can't trust. This is just my experience that I have seen.
yes it’s a p59. I thought it was just me. It’s a quirky SOB
Old 03-06-2021, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Just to update I ended up zeroing out the boost enrichment and using just the pe. No change. Then I zero out the pe and tuned the ve table. No change. It’s an intermittent problem that I’m trying to track down. It seems to be fuel system related.

Quick Reply: Zero out Boost Enrichment and use PE (maybe) and VE table only