Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor for Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 Sensor for Headers

What 02 sensors do you folks that know about tuning like?
Old 12-23-2020, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Tuning is done with widebands, the guy doing the tuning will have his own he will place in your exhaust somewhere. Chances are it will be a Bosch 4.9 if you were looking for specific model number.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sacrilege
Tuning is done with widebands, the guy doing the tuning will have his own he will place in your exhaust somewhere. Chances are it will be a Bosch 4.9 if you were looking for specific model number.
Understood. I just wanted to get an opinion from someone about which upstream 02 sensors work well.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

I've had a PLX wideband in my Subaru for about ten years and 50k miles, with no trouble.

For my C5, I used two AEMs, those have been good too, but I've only put about a thousand miles on them.

They're downstream of the collectors, so not really in the headers per se. I'm not quite rich enough to get one sensor per cylinder.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
I'm not quite rich enough to get one sensor per cylinder.
Nobody does that. You should, however have one O2 per bank, before any converters you have, and preferably close to the collector for best effectiveness.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NSFW
I've had a PLX wideband in my Subaru for about ten years and 50k miles, with no trouble.

For my C5, I used two AEMs, those have been good too, but I've only put about a thousand miles on them.

They're downstream of the collectors, so not really in the headers per se. I'm not quite rich enough to get one sensor per cylinder.
Those are not O2 sensors, those are gauges. Both of them utilize a Bosch sensor.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Nobody does that. You should, however have one O2 per bank, before any converters you have, and preferably close to the collector for best effectiveness.
Not quite nobody, but certainly very few people.
And it's mostly something you only see for engine dynos rather than in actual vehicles.
https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/st12.php

I did one sensor per bank in my C5.

Those are not O2 sensors, those are gauges. Both of them utilize a Bosch sensor.
I doubt the OP is shopping for a bare sensor.

But FWIW, the PLX in my Subaru uses a Bosch LSU 4.2, and the AEMs in my C5 use Bosch LSU 4.9.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
Understood. I just wanted to get an opinion from someone about which upstream 02 sensors work well.
Denso or NTK are my two and only suggestions.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Launching!

What exactly are you trying to do here? Because you can’t just mix-n-match stuff and it sounds like you’re not even looking for a wideband, you’re just looking to replace your stock narrowbands with something else and you think these are just universal parts. They are not. You replace your stock narrowbands with other stock narrowbands of the exact same model number. These narrowbands also have absolutely nothing to do with tuning, they are strictly for the PCM once the engine has been tuned using widebands.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

What exactly are you trying to do here? Because you can’t just mix-n-match stuff and it sounds like you’re not even looking for a wideband, you’re just looking to replace your stock narrowbands with something else and you think these are just universal parts. They are not. You replace your stock narrowbands with other stock narrowbands of the exact same model number. These narrowbands also have absolutely nothing to do with tuning, they are strictly for the PCM once the engine has been tuned using widebands.
He asked about narrow bands, he stated that. I think because the word "tuning" was in his original post, everyone is assuming needs a WB.....

and yes, you can use the narrow bands for tuning, a lot do including myself.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I'm just asking about narrow band O2 sensors. I asked in the tuning section in hopes someone with good insight might have an opinion.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alrighty then. Lol
Old 01-15-2021, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
Been doing this crap for 15 years. Oddly.. For some reason.. My 02 garage queen never had o2 issues. Tho... In last 5 years ( minus x-country trip after my enlistment was over), she's been driven a mere 100 miles. But has 76k on the clock and has had the supermaxx system after a couple months hitting the market with 25k miles on her. But still.. Never o2 issue.
NOW.. my 98 WS6 on the other hand... Has pace suckers put on at like 105-107k miles. Also has LS6 top end tho so not stock cam. But still... Everytime here in FL the colder weather hits... Around Dec. and every 6-12 months... I'm putting upper o2s in. It has to due with the built in heaters on them. It causes the OBD codes of ( slow responding OR circuit malfunction) circuit codes... I will never forget the codes bc of the amount of times r&r'ing them. P0135 or P0155. Slow respinding normal turns out ok and not needing to replace. Just on colder days like under 50° and not every colser day either. I use the Bosch o2's.
Now if you can spend more than $40 per sensor.. I'd go with the ACDelco o2's. I was told by the guy who taught my hptuners and who was ( at the time ) a software builder for mega squirt... That ACDelco heaters are more durable. But at the time they were a lot more vs ngk and bosch.

Maybe some food for thought. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
98ws6blk (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

I use Denso's and turn the codes off. On long tubes, they tend to start throwing codes very soon after install because they don't get hot enough, as explained above.

But when I have checked by datalogging, they seem to be working fine and AFR is close to commanded.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I bought AC Delco for my C5 a number of years ago, they were NTK.
my headers are coated, and more of a mid length. Very occasionally got a slow response code. So just turned that off.

They switch nice.

My Nova has the orig GM sensors from the 99 Camaro harness I bought. They work perfect even though it’s a turbo car. E85 keeps them nice and clean.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor for Headers