Sponsored by:

Rpm hangs when I let off the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 06:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Rpm hangs when I let off the throttle

Hey all,

Got a stick car with a gen3 6.0 that we just got up and running on Holley’s Terminator X. It has a Small cam and injectors and the software seems to be doing its thing pretty good.

One problem I have is the RPM hangs when I come off the throttle. It’s a DBC stock throttle body. The RPM’s start to drop in 2-3 seconds but obviously that’s no good.

Any suggestions where to look or what to tweek?

we are just starting to go thru this tuning process for fueling and haven’t messed with much of the stuff just yet outside of the normal wizard/configuration for injectors and such. Haven’t even touched the timing yet!

Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

Vacuum leak. This screams vacuum leak somewhere. Check the edges of your intake manifold and throttle body with the engine running for leaks. An unlit but flowing propane torch or some starting fluid ether "explosion in a can" stuff can also help you find the leak. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Rick
Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Cut airflow from follower and cracker.

As to vacuum leaks. Best method involves a cigar and a glass of whiskey. Smoke the cigar and puff into the intake. Through the throttle and immediately let the blade close. After a few puffs you will see every leak you have.

The whiskey is necessary because nothing goes with a cigar like a good whiskey.
The following 2 users liked this post by Darth_V8r:
G Atsma (03-06-2021), RevGTO (03-21-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 06:43 AM
9 Second Club

Never thought to add whiskey to troubleshooting a vacuum leak, feels like that might accelerate wanting to throw ****!

thanks for the replies, I’ll take a look!
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

You need to dial in the base airflow at idle (throttle body stop and IAC activity). After that play with the IAC ramp down settings. And just do some tuning in general before you jump to conclusions.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Never thought to add whiskey to troubleshooting a vacuum leak, feels like that might accelerate wanting to throw ****!
LMAO.....
Old 03-18-2021, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the iac hold position. Sounds like some adjusting in the whole iac ramp down section is needed
Old 03-18-2021, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

We were just looking at this today.

I'll try to get the values and report back shortly.

Another question I had was about the IAC logging value, should it ever be 0%? The value changes with light throttle changes in park but ultimately returns to 0%.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Never want 0 or 100. If you are at either of those, you don’t have control over it. If your idling with it at 0. Look at the iac parked table and/or tb set screw could be open to far
Old 03-20-2021, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

TB set screw was open and is now is all the way closed and both times the IAC reading was 0, This is a used TB, maybe it's defective but it is working coming off an at idle throttle blip so I guess I don't really know what to think. We'll throw a new IAC in there an see what happens. We also have a high rpm flair on idle for like 4-5 seconds we were chasing but I think we should get the iac to respond properly before we chase that.

If you haven't already guessed this isn't my car, I'm trying to help a buddy out and get his car working like it should. I'm a novice tuner at best and learned on HP Tuner. The Holley Term X Kit is really great at getting you in the ballpark really fast! I think it's just a matter of messing with **** until we get it right... Thanks for all the help here.

FYI, this is a 6.0 truck with a small Cam and FIC Injectors in a 71 Nova with a Nissan 6 speed manual, he says the car rips thru all the gears, we just need to work thru a few little things..

ALSO:
Not sure what my buddy changed but he says the RPM hang he was getting is now gone. It was not a vac leak.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Was the throttle body ported? Sounds like the blade is not sealing
Old 03-20-2021, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Was the throttle body ported? Sounds like the blade is not sealing
probably not, it was pulled from a stock truck but you never know. My buddy has a few other TB’s hanging around, if a new iac doesn’t do the trick another TB is a quick swap.

We’ll double check the blade/throat too for build up or obvious issues.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-20-2022, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Cut airflow from follower and cracker.

As to vacuum leaks. Best method involves a cigar and a glass of whiskey. Smoke the cigar and puff into the intake. Through the throttle and immediately let the blade close. After a few puffs you will see every leak you have.

The whiskey is necessary because nothing goes with a cigar like a good whiskey.

🤨🤨🤨 lame! And used up. To the Nth degree. Lmao! Also most likely no the issue. Chased my tail with garbage motors info. Turned lut to be in the tune. Hun?? Whaa? Pfftftftftf. Everyone has an ******* er i mean opinion. lol

Quick Reply: Rpm hangs when I let off the throttle