Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Tuning want some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Tuning want some opinions

Purchased a 83 fairmont a while back with a 6.0 swap, stock bottom end, sloppy stage 2, 1218 pac springs sheet metal intake, 28 lb injectors, Terminator x ecu, in tank fuel pump unsure of brand or size, truck style coilpacks, I have a datalog of the idle here just wanted someone with more experience to give me their opinion i messed with a little bit of the tuning but I'm new and trying to learn. Also tried uploading my tune dont if done correctly
Attached Files
File Type: table
Terminator X 9-25 Idle.table (6.47 MB, 59 views)
File Type: ecu
First_Tune.ecu (50.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-26-2023, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

I have ZERO experience with the Holley systems.. If you were using a factory GM PCM I could probably help you. I am running an Elgin E1840P cam in a 6.0L and could offer you a tune that you could look at for review. However... you are running a Holley Terminator... and I have no idea what the format is for those controllers.

The only thing I will add is that I have had to REMOVE several E-bay/Amazon sheet-metal/china trash intakes in order to get some of my customers engines to run right. The very first thing I would do, if a sheet metal intake equipped vehicle came to my shop, would be to verify that there are no vacuum leaks. If there are vacuum leaks-the intake MUST go immediately. You CANNOT tune an engine with a vacuum leak, and I've yet to see a sheet metal intake equipped engine that did not have a vacuum leak.

And lastly..... your 28 lb/hr injectors will NOT support full throttle power runs on a 6.0L engine with a SLOPPY stage 2 cam.

Oh wait... lastly-lastly.. is your cam a genuine Elgin cam..... or a chinese knock-off sloppy stage 2? The reason I ask is... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...camshafts.html If it is a white box-China-knock off-disposable cam-it's not worth wasting time trying to tune it as it won't be running in a month or so from now regardless of what you do. Those cams are KNOWN to come un-glued and take the entire engine out with it from metal passing through the oil pump, and through all of the bearings... if you want to see a tune for a 6.0L that is currently using a REAL Elgin E1840P camshaft, I can provide that in HP Tuners form... Just let me know.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
I have ZERO experience with the Holley systems.. If you were using a factory GM PCM I could probably help you. I am running an Elgin E1840P cam in a 6.0L and could offer you a tune that you could look at for review. However... you are running a Holley Terminator... and I have no idea what the format is for those controllers.

The only thing I will add is that I have had to REMOVE several E-bay/Amazon sheet-metal/china trash intakes in order to get some of my customers engines to run right. The very first thing I would do, if a sheet metal intake equipped vehicle came to my shop, would be to verify that there are no vacuum leaks. If there are vacuum leaks-the intake MUST go immediately. You CANNOT tune an engine with a vacuum leak, and I've yet to see a sheet metal intake equipped engine that did not have a vacuum leak.

And lastly..... your 28 lb/hr injectors will NOT support full throttle power runs on a 6.0L engine with a SLOPPY stage 2 cam.

Oh wait... lastly-lastly.. is your cam a genuine Elgin cam..... or a chinese knock-off sloppy stage 2? The reason I ask is... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...camshafts.html If it is a white box-China-knock off-disposable cam-it's not worth wasting time trying to tune it as it won't be running in a month or so from now regardless of what you do. Those cams are KNOWN to come un-glued and take the entire engine out with it from metal passing through the oil pump, and through all of the bearings... if you want to see a tune for a 6.0L that is currently using a REAL Elgin E1840P camshaft, I can provide that in HP Tuners form... Just let me know.
The guy who orginally built it said was a elgin 1840p cam and ill check for vaccum leaks, but I'm thinking about switching it out to a holley low ram or high ram, ill also see about getting some bigger injectors right now there the gm 28lb
Old 09-28-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Before switching to something like a Holley Low/High Ram intake, read some comparison reviews of LS intakes. These intakes typically makes less power (Torque !!) under 6000 RPM than stock intakes or something like a FAST LSXR. The are all show and no go!
I would eshew WOT until you get bigger injectors and a tune. Else you might go dangerously lean and damage the pistons.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrvedit:
G Atsma (09-29-2023), Kawabuggy (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Before switching to something like a Holley Low/High Ram intake, read some comparison reviews of LS intakes. These intakes typically makes less power (Torque !!) under 6000 RPM than stock intakes or something like a FAST LSXR. The are all show and no go!
I would eshew WOT until you get bigger injectors and a tune. Else you might go dangerously lean and damage the pistons.
I only wanted to go with something like the holley intake because of the future plans to add a turbo and use a a2w intercooler between the runners and plenum, I'm currently looking at injectors and are looking at going with the holley 48lbs HI. As well as doing a fuel cell with external pump. I'm trying to learn how to tune so as far as that go I'm trying to read and watch videos on what to look for.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 83fairmontss
I only wanted to go with something like the holley intake because of the future plans to add a turbo and use a a2w intercooler between the runners and plenum, I'm currently looking at injectors and are looking at going with the holley 48lbs HI. As well as doing a fuel cell with external pump. I'm trying to learn how to tune so as far as that go I'm trying to read and watch videos on what to look for.
Sounds like you are going through a good thought process about your future plans.
Instead of thinking "I'm just going to build a 1000HP Turbo" right off the bat, with my 50 years experience helping people with car projects, I suggest completing more modest steps with a running car at each step. E.g. first a basic engine with a few bolt-ons, then a performance NA rebuild and finally a high power Turbo. I've seen way TOO MANY projects die because it started with too ambitious a goal and then life got in the way - got married, had kids, had to move for a job, take car of parents, etc. And the big car project never got running and finally sold as a basket case.

You have a cool starting car and with even the most basic LS swap, maybe just with Carburators, you will have an extra-cool car which you can proudly drive around while you gather the money and parts for the next step.
Hey, just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Sounds like you are going through a good thought process about your future plans.
Instead of thinking "I'm just going to build a 1000HP Turbo" right off the bat, with my 50 years experience helping people with car projects, I suggest completing more modest steps with a running car at each step. E.g. first a basic engine with a few bolt-ons, then a performance NA rebuild and finally a high power Turbo. I've seen way TOO MANY projects die because it started with too ambitious a goal and then life got in the way - got married, had kids, had to move for a job, take car of parents, etc. And the big car project never got running and finally sold as a basket case.

You have a cool starting car and with even the most basic LS swap, maybe just with Carburators, you will have an extra-cool car which you can proudly drive around while you gather the money and parts for the next step.
Hey, just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks man, yeah I'm not trying to get to crazy to fast, toughest thing right now is just learning the tuning aspect cause I aint got no one to ask question IRL, just forums and videos and it's not quite the same
Old 10-02-2023, 09:21 PM

The basic tuning principles are the same whether you are using a GM ecu with HP Tuners or the popular Terminator X.
I see various online Terminator X training courses that might work for you. No idea if its any good, but this example course is $249: https://www.evansperformanceacademy....tor-x-purchase

I learned a lot from various printed books many years ago. For example by author Greg Banish "Engine Management Advanced Tuning". That is not an advanced book, really quite basic and not tied to any system or ECU.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:38 AM
Teching In

The basic tuning principles are the same whether you are using a GM ecu with HP Tuners or the popular Terminator X.
I see various online Terminator X training courses that might work for you. No idea if its any good, but this example course is $249: https://www.evansperformanceacademy....tor-x-purchase

I learned a lot from various printed books many years ago. For example by author Greg Banish "Engine Management Advanced Tuning". That is not an advanced book, really quite basic and not tied to any system or ECU.
Ive actually been looking into something similar to that, Tune the trilogy series forgot the the price, joe simpson is one tuners in it
Old 10-06-2023, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

For example by author Greg Banish "Engine Management Advanced Tuning". That is not an advanced book, really quite basic and not tied to any system or ECU.
+1 for that book.

I bought 3 or 4 books about tuning, and they all say basically the same things (because all ECUs are doing basically the same things) but Banish's book was clearer and more understandable than the others. The fundamentals in that book apply to any ECU.

On the other hand every ECU also has quirks, like how they manage transitions between driving and idling, but that's where forums come in.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSFW:
G Atsma (10-06-2023), turbolx (10-13-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

what file format is that in? It should saved as a .terx

Also post a datalog file and I'll look at it.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
what file format is that in? It should saved as a .terx

Also post a datalog file and I'll look at it.
It said it wouldnt accept that type of file so i changed the file extension in hopes it would work
Old 10-10-2023, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

You will have to put it in a zip file.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You will have to put it in a zip file.
Here is the tune file, I just put bigger injectors in (48lb Holley high impedence) and have not really tuned any of fuel except let it do the self learn nor do i really have a good datalog to go by currently not drove it much except maybe 20 mins since putting injectors in

I'll drive it around more once i get a chance to get a datalog on it

Last edited by 83fairmontss; 10-10-2023 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 10-13-2023, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks! My aim when writing is always to try and point out facts that never change with age. As mentioned here, most EFI systems are doing very similar things, but each one has a slightly different way of expressing that.

I wanted to call that first book "Introduction to EFI Calibration". But I don't get to pick the title, blame the publisher on that. Don't even get me started on the title for my latest OBD and Emissions book.
The following users liked this post:
CattleAc (10-17-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Here is my Newer tune thats currently in the car and a datalog from driving it around
Attached Files
File Type: zip
48lbfirsttune.zip (12.9 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply: New to Tuning want some opinions