PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP please!!! (TCS going on and off, O2's shutting off. etc.......)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP please!!! (TCS going on and off, O2's shutting off. etc.......)

Ok. This is an 02 WS6 M6, bolt ons, hooker long tubes, high flow cats (cut outs), 12 bolt w/ 4.11s, and just installed a Trex cam (had tr224).

Since the trex install, the traction control just turns off when ever it feels like it, just randomly. When the TC turns off, we found that the 02's do also, and the car acts like its going to die everytime this happens.

When tuning the car Moe bailey also found that the throttle body was only opening up 87% and in the upper rpm range it was pulling out timing; which would explain why the car has always had a low 1/4 mph (12.09@112 w/tr224). We fixed the throttle body problem, but it was still pulling out timing in high rpm range!!!!!!! (like 5 degrees off!!) Maybe this could be something simple like a short somewhere, or a bad ground....... or maybe the PCM, i don't know

Soooo, I'm clueless. Has anyone ever had this happen? Thanks in advance. Hopefully Moe will chime in, because he can explain it much better than I can
Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Short

OK here is the scoop. On this car, the Traction Control comes on and off randomly even just while crusing, Both of the front 02's will throw a code but then the code clears itself randomly also. I am not sure if the 02's are throwing the code while the traction control is going on and off but I presume so. It is not really pulling the timing out it just never reaches the set mark. I even added a couple of more degress to see if there was any change and there was not. There is 0 KR so this elimiates this issue.Also when the laptop is plugged into the ALDL and you key on it will kill the laptop..When the TC is on, the car will barely idle and when you hit the TC button to turn it off the idle instantly goes back to normal.I beleive this is definetly an electrical issue, but the cause of the source is not known at this point. If anyone has experience this, a feedback would be welcome.....Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

yeah....what moe said. Thanks man
Old 02-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

to the top
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone???????????????????????????????
Old 03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

From what I've read and experienced, the bigger cam changes the effective vaccum in the intake, and hence skews the MAP reading, which farks up the TCS. Any TPS codes thrown ? (P0121) ? The P0121 code actually has a MAP threshold/window... I didn't/don't have the same problems with O2's as you are...

The "magic TCS disarm where it's off and the switch won't turn it back on, car runs like crap" problem still happens to me once in a while, less often after fresh replacement of the TPS sensor - have you tried swapping/replacing the TPS sensor ? Another bone I was thrown while researching a similar problem on here was the A/C sensor on the pass side strut tower - apparently it's sourced from the same 5v source as the TPS and can cause similar problems if it's bad.

This TCS issue is one of the things I will be trying to "demystify" with HPTuners (just purchased last weekend).

Sorry if this isn't relevant, thought I'd try to help... If you figure it out please post the solution so I can check !

Bad30th

Edit : Also found these using "search" :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ulated+airflow

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ed+airflow+tcs

Last edited by Bad30th; 03-01-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Tcs

Originally Posted by Bad30th
From what I've read and experienced, the bigger cam changes the effective vaccum in the intake, and hence skews the MAP reading, which farks up the TCS. Any TPS codes thrown ? (P0121) ? The P0121 code actually has a MAP threshold/window... I didn't/don't have the same problems with O2's as you are...

The "magic TCS disarm where it's off and the switch won't turn it back on, car runs like crap" problem still happens to me once in a while, less often after fresh replacement of the TPS sensor - have you tried swapping/replacing the TPS sensor ? Another bone I was thrown while researching a similar problem on here was the A/C sensor on the pass side strut tower - apparently it's sourced from the same 5v source as the TPS and can cause similar problems if it's bad.

This TCS issue is one of the things I will be trying to "demystify" with HPTuners (just purchased last weekend).

Sorry if this isn't relevant, thought I'd try to help... If you figure it out please post the solution so I can check !

Bad30th

Edit : Also found these using "search" :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ed+airflow+tcs
No map codes thrown, I have tuned app 10 T-Tex cars none with the issues this one has. Also one other thing is while in nuetral, if you depress the throttle the motor really revs up slow, the other T-Rex cars rev up rather quickly..Doesn't make sense.....?????
Old 03-02-2005, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Agreed, it doesn't make any sense - there are lots of cammed cars with TCS that don't have this problem, even untuned.

Please let me know if you figure it out...

Bad30th
Old 03-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Moe and Bad 30th, hopefully we'll get it figured out.....