PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using HPT to Check, Test and Clear DTC's???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using HPT to Check, Test and Clear DTC's???

Ok, just got the HPT and reviewed some material with it, tables etc. In the DTC Window it shows the codes set, which in my case are none, and has the test status in the bottom of pane.
1) Why do some of the tests show incomplete?

2) Is it safe to clear, reset DTCs while car is idling? If not what might happen? I did this on my friends car, as soon as I hit the clear button, or reset, it stumbled and then found idle again. Since then though it has run like crap, popping, lean as hell, very slow learning Fuel Trims etc. Even after putting his old Edit tune back in it still does this. Thinking it may not be a good idea to clear them with the car running, and I might have damaged his PCM. Please tell me this is not the case
Old 04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they show incomplete because they are not yet complete each test takes several drive cycles ...

Clear away... no risk to the PCM I've cleared while driving at 90mph before

as for the stumbling ... what code was set? if it was something that causes the car to run speed density and the car's not tuned for SD... then it may act strange
Old 04-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Restricted User

It is a P0106 code. Same MAP immature or something code he has had since the cam (MS3) went in. It stop setting after a while, but came back after I used HPT. He has swapped the MAP sensor and everything, nothing fixed it. I assume the MAP Fail would go to SD and I can say, his SD has never been messed with. What you think Mike?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Restricted User

oh, yeah, in SD mode, would it take forever for the trims to try learning if any? I know SD doesnt rely on the Trims, but figure they might "act" or try going through the learning process. Charlie
Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trims will behave the same regardless of the MAFlessness....

P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure System Performance

haven't seen tha tbefore... sounds like this car has some other issues....

as for MAP fail causing SD.. I dunno... but since SD relies so much on the MAP ... i'd doubt it... I'd start checking electrical issues ....
Old 04-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Restricted User

I used to have a MAP code when I swapped in the TSP 231/237 cam, I had to adjust the Min.Max MAP values (raised them to 75/85) and no issues since. He has had this error since the cam, btw the MS3 is huge, checked all electrical, swapped new sensor in etc. It did eventually stop throwing the SES light, but the code was still stored in the PCM when I scanned it. I was running fine. Then I threw the HPT tune in, only adjust the min/max values, and timing for high octane (more nitrous friendly), cleared the code during the idle and it stumbled, caught back on and then runs like ****. Stumped.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
FormerVendor

you need to get rid of the P0106 code if the MAP is actually working. The PCM checks the MAP duruing part throttle/idle. It expects to see a value within the range shown in the editor if it outside of that P0106 will be set and the PCM will disable the dynamic airflow calculations completely and use the MAF only. If your are already MAFless then it will switch to Alpha-N (MAP estimation based on TPS and RPM). If you have a large cam then either of these problems will most certainly cause the car to run terrible.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Restricted User

Is there a way to keep the MAP P0106 enabled, by adjusting a value or something, like the MIN/MAX MAP values in engine diagnostics? Making Min lower than logged readings and MAX higher than logged? The car in question is still using MAF and I am sure the airflow tables are off since they havent been touched from stock and this cam is big.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CAT3
Is there a way to keep the MAP P0106 enabled, by adjusting a value or something, like the MIN/MAX MAP values in engine diagnostics? Making Min lower than logged readings and MAX higher than logged? The car in question is still using MAF and I am sure the airflow tables are off since they havent been touched from stock and this cam is big.
yes it is likely you will have to increase the maximum MAP values so that the MAP is never higher than these values for the given TPS and RPM point. To effectively disable the check you can set the whole Max table to 105 kpa.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Restricted User

Are you talking about the MAP under Engine Diagnostics, showing the MIN and MAX, stock I believe is 45/65 or something, or you talking about something else?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CAT3
Are you talking about the MAP under Engine Diagnostics, showing the MIN and MAX, stock I believe is 45/65 or something, or you talking about something else?

Quick Reply: Using HPT to Check, Test and Clear DTC's???