Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short and Long Trim Fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short and Long Trim Fuel question

Sorry for the newb question but I've been beating my head against the wall on this motor for over a month now.

I have a 02 5.3 swapped into a rock buggy. It has a Speartech harness and programming. Intermittantly it runs horrible, like it's firing on half the cylinders. It seems like the longer it runs the better it runs.

There are no codes coming up. A friend put a scanner on it and said that the Short and Long trim fuel is in the negative and the O2 Sensors are reading rich all the time.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old 07-13-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try to be more specific about when exactly it runs horrible. You say intermittently, but that doesn't really narrow it down.

Does the problem start while the engine is running?
...while its at idle?
...immediately after startup?
...at WOT?

Does it go back to normal when..
..you shut the car off and restart it?
..after it sits for a couple days?
..you're just driving along?

Kind of sounds to me like it may be knocking from being too rich, but its hard to say without having more detail.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how far negative?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Try to be more specific about when exactly it runs horrible. You say intermittently, but that doesn't really narrow it down.

Does the problem start while the engine is running?
...while its at idle?
...immediately after startup?
...at WOT?

Does it go back to normal when..
..you shut the car off and restart it?
..after it sits for a couple days?
..you're just driving along?

Kind of sounds to me like it may be knocking from being too rich, but its hard to say without having more detail.
It seems to run bad after every restart. After between 5 to 10 minutes of running it (usually) smooths out. When it's not running right, it will idle ok with a little bit of a miss. Anything over idle it cuts out like it's not getting spark or fuel. WOT is not possible when it is under load, it just won't rev much.

I'm trying to get ahold of the guy that scanned it to see what the trim numbers were.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Teching In

The guy said he thought the Long was -20.3 and the short was -3
Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

ha damn that is low, may want to check out some sensors if this is something new, like teh o2s or maf, they tend to max out trims when they go. just something to think of before tuning it, which a scanner will show this by logging some parameters, and it may not set an ses light.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I've read conflicting statements on here of whether 02s can cause a car to mis. I'm running brand new o2s but they are the generic kind. I guess I'll re check them, just don't understand why it clears up after running a while.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same problem when I put a Z06 MAF on my camaro. The guy dong my tunning thought I was running a MAF calibrated for a camaro. Once we found out what kind of MAF I had he taylored my PCM for it and all was well again.

What's happening is upon warm up you engine is basing the A/F on the MAF(open loop). Yours is telling the PCM it is getting a lot more air than it really is. When it's warm, it bases the A/F on the O2s (closed loop) it adjust the trims to get the A/F close to stoich.

Hope that helps
Old 07-14-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
I had the same problem when I put a Z06 MAF on my camaro. The guy dong my tunning thought I was running a MAF calibrated for a camaro. Once we found out what kind of MAF I had he taylored my PCM for it and all was well again.

What's happening is upon warm up you engine is basing the A/F on the MAF(open loop). Yours is telling the PCM it is getting a lot more air than it really is. When it's warm, it bases the A/F on the O2s (closed loop) it adjust the trims to get the A/F close to stoich.

Hope that helps
in closed loop the maf/ve is used as well as in open loop but the car does not make corrections based on feedback from the o2s until the car warms up enough and the o2s are in a good operating temperature range. all fueling is based from airflow found from the ve/maf and is just corrected by the fuel trims when the o2 sensors are saying the car is too rich or too lean
Old 07-14-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5.3buggy
I've read conflicting statements on here of whether 02s can cause a car to mis. I'm running brand new o2s but they are the generic kind. I guess I'll re check them, just don't understand why it clears up after running a while.
Probably conflicting because it depends on the situation. If the sensor fails so bad that the PCM can detect the failure, then a code will set and the sensor will be ignored.

I have seen sensors fail and the PCM not detect it, and it send erroneous signals to the PCM, making it run overly rich or overly lean.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

i had a 95 grand am that the o2 sensor was so bad it stopped the cat up and got a code after about 6000 miles of shitty driving, didnt know what it was. now i know how it feels with an o2 going bad lol its a pita