Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those racing chips you see on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those racing chips you see on ebay

Any of you guys seen these chips on ebay ? some gorilla racing chip **** or anything else just like it? claim to add like 10 or more horse power, is this true? i think all this chip does is allow more gas into engine but would't that kill your gas mileage?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Import Patrol

i personally don't trust that type of ****, kinda like the electric fan type super charger they sell on ebay too.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My question would be where does it plug in? The days of the removable chip (Think ADS Superchip) are gone.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing compares to a custom tune.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some on ebay that are sold as "chips" but its pretty much a resistor, its the one that goes into the female connector of the IAC, so the car thinks its either 32 or 37 degrees outside, i dont remember which, go to radio shack and buy a resistor and put it in yourself, for 35 cents, i believe it makes the car add fuel, the gain isnt as much as 10, maybe 2-4 but every bit counts, my friend bought into an ebay chip, and they only sent him a resistor and some cheap printout instructions on how to put each end in the connector and tape it, lol
Old 08-16-2005, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chips are for dips.... get a TUNE
Old 08-17-2005, 01:11 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

Don't waste your time, money or brainpower on chips. Go to ws6store.com and look up the Jet Performance Programmer. This little baby has 3 stages of programming that are awesome. They are set to deliver maximum performance based on the mods in your car. You can also customize your programming to your liking, as it offers this option as well. This little tool also has a diagnostic option that can read and/or clear those pesky little check engine lights with specific listing for each code, etc. Love mine cause it tied all my mods together to make my baby smoke. I did the before and after test and it really made a big difference. Closest thing to a professional tune. Plus you can always revert to stock programming if the car needs to go back to the shop for anything! Paid $329.00 and worth every penny. Do it right the first time cause all that glitters isn't gold. By the way, I get better gas Milage now than when my car was stock

Maroon Z-28 2000 A4, SLP flow pac cold air induction, SLP free flow lid, K&N filter, SLP high flow MAF sensor, SLP smooth Bellows, MSD 8.5 superconductor wires, Magnaflow Catback, Jet performance programming stage 2, Kumho Ecsta rubber

Last edited by jitsumania; 08-17-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just saw this post....

ANY post on ebay that claims to be a "chip" for 94 or newer F-Bodies is a scam.....

STAY FAR AWAY

they're not chips.. they're simply resistors that trick the IAT sensor (if it's REALLY hot out .. you may gain performance.... that is if you're not pinging)

The more expensive "chips" offer more cosmetive features (almost professional looking )

This is a good topic though... I'll add a warning as a sticky to this forum in the morning..... I hate to see fellow F-Body owners (or anyone for that matter) get ripped off
Old 08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jitsumania
Don't waste your time, money or brainpower on chips. Go to ws6store.com and look up the Jet Performance Programmer. This little baby has 3 stages of programming that are awesome. They are set to deliver maximum performance based on the mods in your car. You can also customize your programming to your liking, as it offers this option as well. This little tool also has a diagnostic option that can read and/or clear those pesky little check engine lights with specific listing for each code, etc. Love mine cause it tied all my mods together to make my baby smoke. I did the before and after test and it really made a big difference. Closest thing to a professional tune. Plus you can always revert to stock programming if the car needs to go back to the shop for anything! Paid $329.00 and worth every penny. Do it right the first time cause all that glitters isn't gold. By the way, I get better gas Milage now than when my car was stock

Maroon Z-28 2000 A4, SLP flow pac cold air induction, SLP free flow lid, K&N filter, SLP high flow MAF sensor, SLP smooth Bellows, MSD 8.5 superconductor wires, Magnaflow Catback, Jet performance programming stage 2, Kumho Ecsta rubber

aaaaahhhhh.... newbies....

hand held "power" programers belong in the same trashcan as the chips, and velocity stacks, and 80 series flowmasters, airtemp faker modules, electric turbos ect ect ect...

Get a REAL tuneing program like HPtuners, ls1 edit, ect ect...

you got alot of reading to do.... start with all the stickeys
Old 08-17-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jitsumania
all that glitters isn't gold.
Originally Posted by jaberwaki
aaaaahhhhh.... newbies....
Old 08-17-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

The "chip" is a resistor that makes your PCM think it's a lot colder outside, which advances timing if I remember right. But, you'll get knock and the KR in the PCM will retard it back anyway, anyone's guess if it actually helps or not but I have never seen anything provable. I'd avoid it. Let the computer make it's decisions on real data.

I disagree that the handheld tuners are in this same category. I have an HPP3 I got for (I think) $125, and over the course of 12 track test-runs it appears that I have gained between .1 and .2 in the 1/4. The reason I say "appears" is because when I did the HPP3 tune I also told it to lower the fans and bump back the 2-3 shiftpoint (yes, bump back, because my car has some slight linger near the redline in the 2-3 shift) which might be the improvement I am seeing. If I get time I plan on doing 5 runs each with no difference but the power tune.

The alternatives mentioned above are certainly better, but the HPP3 is far from worthless for those of us who have no chance of affording one of the good tuner packages ($500+).
Old 08-17-2005, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
I disagree that the handheld tuners are in this same category. I have an HPP3 I got for (I think) $125, and over the course of 12 track test-runs it appears that I have gained between .1 and .2 in the 1/4. The reason I say "appears" is because when I did the HPP3 tune I also told it to lower the fans and bump back the 2-3 shiftpoint (yes, bump back, because my car has some slight linger near the redline in the 2-3 shift) which might be the improvement I am seeing. If I get time I plan on doing 5 runs each with no difference but the power tune.

The alternatives mentioned above are certainly better, but the HPP3 is far from worthless for those of us who have no chance of affording one of the good tuner packages ($500+).

you said it right there in your post you had linger in your shiftpoints and you fixed it... that could easly explain .1-.2

but for POWER purposes yes, it is worthless.

and not all tunes cost 500 bucks you bought your HPP3 used... why could you not buy real software used?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

by the by the pic was just playin
Old 08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I believe that I must be suffering from psychosis or maybe delusional thinking when my car was behaving differently before and after stage 2 tuning. (Pre and post test done 4 times!!!!) Oh! wait a minute, I took my meds that particular morning, afternoon and evening. Medication Blood serum levels appeared to be within normal limits as well.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOCK!

Last edited by horist; 08-18-2005 at 03:22 PM.