PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I ported my MAF and now it's running lean...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I ported my MAF and now it's running lean...HELP!

This is freaking gay. I even untuned the hypertech on the car...at WOT, the car is still pinging. I ported the MAF and now I guess it's running quite lean. Can I fix this without getting a new MAF yet still getting the benefits of more airflow into the engine? Will the ECU fix itself after I put some miles on it?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well honestly, what did you expect? If you were running lean already, you just made it run leaner. You could get a MAF translater. That would help.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, that is unfortunate...but now I wish I were dead!!! J/K. Where would one get this thing you speak of...a MAF Translator? If I reprogramed the Hypertech, could it change up the ECU to run properly?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

How about buying new GM MAF ends and call it a day. That'll get you running right.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that's a good idea. Only 50% of the people that do it have it work properly...maybe not even that. Shouldn't you have known that you would be on the losing side?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Yes, that is unfortunate...but now I wish I were dead!!! J/K. Where would one get this thing you speak of...a MAF Translator? If I reprogramed the Hypertech, could it change up the ECU to run properly?
do NOT install the HPP3 powerprogramming right now... it will lean you out even more...

As mentioned best solution is probably to find a new MAF (screen and all)

Or a full tuning package and tune the car for the current MAF

You should probably be able to find a used working MAF in the for sale section... several have sold theirs lately since they've switched to speed density (no MAF)
Old 09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

A stock MAF is your best bet until you have a way to tune for the changes you may make to it.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did the same as well i completly ported it out,but i had read the i will probaly loose power untill getting a translator so i went ahead and did it.but a litle bit of searching will have let u know that what we did causes loss of power or lean issues for many but a translator or i belive a dyno tune will correct?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no need to sell it, repair it, ect. calibrate the maf table. Find somebody who owns HP Tuners that knows what their doing and you can get consistant trims around 0 LTFT.

I've seen some ported MAF's require up to an average of a 20% increase to correct for the reduced airflow over the maf elements.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

or go speed density tune and completely remove the MAF. as long as you can do the speed density tune or have someone help you with it
Old 09-19-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Maf

Porting the MAF is a big mistake, at one time people thought that was the thing to do until they found out the driveability problems and trying to get the AFR in sinc. I will not tune a car with a ported maf since it takes up too much time on the Dyno.. Yes go back to a stock maf. I run a stock maf on an LT1 with a supercharger and put out 648 RWHP on pump gas..
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Porting the MAF is a big mistake, at one time people thought that was the thing to do until they found out the driveability problems and trying to get the AFR in sinc. I will not tune a car with a ported maf since it takes up too much time on the Dyno.. Yes go back to a stock maf. I run a stock maf on an LT1 with a supercharger and put out 648 RWHP on pump gas..
Ported MAF's are no problem if you Recalibrate them using a Wideband or using the LTFT method or even Red Supra's worksheet
I do a bunch of Ported MAF's... I just make sure to do VE tuning completely(please tell me you do VE tuning and Not just WOT Tuning) and then I use RED Supras spreadsheet at the same time to get it close before doing wideband MAF tuning or before Doing LTFT MAF tuning
We used to have a "dyno tuner" here in KC(whom I will not name) that claimed he was tuning cars for $450
but all he did was increase timing at idle...drill the TB, and change the PE table so that WOT fueling was correct for his dyno....
thats no much of a tune if you ask me...

p.s.
I am not saying you do it this way....I just hope you are doing it fully..and not just a few things

I curently am runing SD because I like the response better...and my MAF is still physically on the vehicle...but its well ported now....and my LTFT's in closed loop with the MAF are -2 to +1 all the time...had to change the Mv swithc points for it to reflect stoich as my wideband does.... and my PE is commanding 12.9:1 and a wideband o2 has verified its accurate
Old 09-19-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ported MAF is not a problem if you tune properly for it. Best of course if an editor like HPTuners. Next best is a MAFT or something. But the quickest and cheapest way is to solder a 1K ohm resistor across the two longer rods inside the MAF. This will skew your airflow a bit higher and help eliminate your lean condition. Its not precision at all, but it will help a bit.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Ported MAF is not a problem if you tune properly for it. Best of course if an editor like HPTuners. Next best is a MAFT or something. But the quickest and cheapest way is to solder a 1K ohm resistor across the two longer rods inside the MAF. This will skew your airflow a bit higher and help eliminate your lean condition. Its not precision at all, but it will help a bit.

I almost forgot totally about that mod fix...LOL
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

so go with stock again or get a maft or get it tune and hope the tuner knows wat hes doing?or just buy a 85 mm zo6 maf?wats the best thing to do?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
8 Second Club

teh 85mm Z06 is a good route to go...just be sure that your "tuner" knows that and make sure he puts in an 85mm z06 table as well....make sure by watching him do it...some tuners claim to be tuners and dont do things the best way

or you can find somebody like me that can calibrate the MAF and do the tuning for you, including Wideband....
wanna come to Kansas City??

but for now your best bet is to just get an untouched stock MAF since the table in your PCM is already correct for it...
Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
We used to have a "dyno tuner" here in KC(whom I will not name) that claimed he was tuning cars for $450
but all he did was increase timing at idle...drill the TB, and change the PE table so that WOT fueling was correct for his dyno....
thats no much of a tune if you ask me...
I know exactly who that is. If I charged based on their amount of work price scale i'd have to charge $1500 a tune. Its crazy what some people charge for hack tunes. I've uploaded a few 'professional' $500 tunes from cars and online that were pitiful.

I curently am runing SD because I like the response better...and my MAF is still physically on the vehicle...but its well ported now....and my LTFT's in closed loop with the MAF are -2 to +1 all the time...had to change the Mv swithc points for it to reflect stoich as my wideband does.... and my PE is commanding 12.9:1 and a wideband o2 has verified its accurate
My response time is much better in SD even though trims with or without the maf are -3 to 0. However I have a 98 auto so I still need my maf, DA also plays havock with tunes in STL so its nice to have a maf instead of retuning my car everytime i'm at the track.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:15 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
I know exactly who that is. If I charged based on their amount of work price scale i'd have to charge $1500 a tune. Its crazy what some people charge for hack tunes. I've uploaded a few 'professional' $500 tunes from cars and online that were pitiful.

My response time is much better in SD even though trims with or without the maf are -3 to 0. However I have a 98 auto so I still need my maf, DA also plays havock with tunes in STL so its nice to have a maf instead of retuning my car everytime i'm at the track.

are you on Mofbody.com???
hit me over there with a pm sometime, maybe I can come out to the lou....

and you only need the MAF for shifts...which probably feel like **** right now...LOL...
and If DA is playing havoc...then you might need to tighten up the tune....I know several people...myself included that have no issuses running in SD....the tune just needs to be dead on.

Last edited by soundengineer; 09-20-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6

If you are having transmission hard shifting issues email me the file and i will fix it for you.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
are you on Mofbody.com???
hit me over there with a pm sometime, maybe I can come out to the lou....

and you only need the MAF for shifts...which probably feel like **** right now...LOL...
and If DA is playing havoc...then you might need to tighten up the tune....I know several people...myself included that have no issuses running in SD....the tune just needs to be dead on.

Yep, same name over on mofbody but I hardly post..

I can charge for a small fee too

Actually I'm a tuner locally, tons of customers, it takes up most of my free time too but it pays nicely. Most recent project was a turbo car. I'm addicted, I think its turbo time

DA is always changing here. I can perfectly dial in 13.0 wot afr say in 2500 DA. Next week it can be -100 DA and will be fairly lean due to the increased airmass the pcm is unaware of. I could create different tunes for temp and DA but i'm lazy. lol.

I've edited all my shift settings, i keep them nice and crisp even at pt throttle.

Stop by stl sometime we have a fairly nice track here.