PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Need a CA smog-friendly tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a CA smog-friendly tune

So I'm coming up on my first smog inspection with my TR224/114, and I was wondering if anyone here has a cam-only .bin (HPT) for a '99 M6 that has passed CA smog. The OEM manifolds went back on this last weekend (gawd the car sounds like crap with those!! ), and aside from the cam, Whisper lid and GMS MAF ends, it's back to stock emissions-wise. I checked Horist's web site, but couldn't find any .bins that match this setup. Yes, I'm being lazy, but I'm coming down to the wire and am hoping someone can help me out with a quick fix. Thanks!

-Brian
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Does Commiefornia still have a sniffer? NY eliminated it 6 months ago. MANY OTHER STATES HAVE DONE SO TOO.

If you don;t have a sniffer, don't worry they plug into the PCm and check for codes only.....
Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California is not going the way of everyone else, if anything they will even start testing drivers' emissions as well. We have everything regarding emissions testing ... sniffer, OBD-II, visual, EO# checks, etc ...

Nightclaw, where are you located? This would help those willing to help you determine if you are with in the distance to assist you. You could also contact near by shops that specialize in tuning LS1 vehicles for assistance.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Parts of the state may have gone to the sniffer-less test; here in San Diego county, they still require the dyno+sniffer test.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh, you are in SD, check out SDcarscene.com and look up either Ed (blown and stroked vert.) or others with HPTuners for help.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

The closest place that deals with LS1s is Third Gen in Escondido. The next closest is in Monrovia (over 100mi from me). I have no problem doing the tune myself, I just want to see a tune that has passed to compare it to my tune results. If they end up being vastly different, I can safely assume that my tune is hosed up...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
Oh, you are in SD, check out SDcarscene.com and look up either Ed (blown and stroked vert.) or others with HPTuners for help.
Yup - already posted there (Thread). Ed's looking to see if he still has the .bin file. I figured it would still be a good idea to post to LS1tech though - canvassing is always good...
Old 09-08-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

where are you at? i have HPTuners for 99, I could take a look at it. I've already tuned one TR224/stock headers for CA and it runs really nice.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Launching!

I'm in San Diego. I also have HP Tuners (v1.7 for '99 F-body), and am looking for just a known-to-pass .bin to compare against my tune once I re-tune VE for the log manifolds.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would also be interested to know what changes need to be made. I have a smog due in Jan. I just installed my TR 224 cam.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nightclaw
So I'm coming up on my first smog inspection with my TR224/114, and I was wondering if anyone here has a cam-only .bin (HPT) for a '99 M6 that has passed CA smog. The OEM manifolds went back on this last weekend (gawd the car sounds like crap with those!! ), and aside from the cam, Whisper lid and GMS MAF ends, it's back to stock emissions-wise. I checked Horist's web site, but couldn't find any .bins that match this setup. Yes, I'm being lazy, but I'm coming down to the wire and am hoping someone can help me out with a quick fix. Thanks!

-Brian
I just took my 99 M6 in for smog about a month ago with almost the same mods (listed below). It passed easily with a stock tune (not even tuned for the cam). If you like I can send you a copy of it. I live in San Diego btw, so it was the full deal smog test (dyno and sniffer).
Old 09-12-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nightclaw
I'm in San Diego. I also have HP Tuners (v1.7 for '99 F-body), and am looking for just a known-to-pass .bin to compare against my tune once I re-tune VE for the log manifolds.
Again, sounds ridiculous, but I took my 99 in with a stock tune and it passed easily. I'll email you a copy if you like, but the VE I used was the stock table.

Quick Reply: Need a CA smog-friendly tune