25.24%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Your Favorite Handheld Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
I have a Predator and have for almost 3 years now. It can do anything the Vinci and Crane can and more.

Plus their tech guys read some of the posts on this site and are more than willing to help people out when they have questions. When was the last time you saw the actual Vinci/Crane or Hypertech people on here helping their customers out with questions or problems proactively?
Normally when I see an issue I pm the person or talk to them on the phone. Just ask Kurt. Also there is no supercharger program in the Predator. There are two in our tuner. One for a centrifugal, and one for a Magnacharger/Eaton style charger. There are also some parameters that are automatically changed in the tuner because we believe that is what needs be done, so they are not an option.
Be well informed before you make a blanket statement. You do not see us bad mouthing the Predator. Why? Because it is also a very functional well put together unit. It is good for people to have two good parts to choose from. People can look at both, and pick the unit that best serves their requirements.
You may think we are not monitoring these issues, but remember we are a full service entity. We have 39 years of experience in tuning, camshaft design, engine building, exhaust engineering, suspension, research & development of products (ours and other companies) and racing. We are not just watching one particular piece of the puzzle. Our clients call us with any questions they may have, and I don't particularly feel the need to pump my chest and make a big deal of answering a question publicly. If it is something simple, I will ask a question or give an answer. You don't see anyone poor mouthing our customer service. Just because you don't see it in the forum you assume we are not taking care of business. A business does not survive 39 years with poor service or lack of knowledge. The only lack of knowledge I see is that most people are unaware that we have been in business this long. Ask anyone who has our tuner how they like it. Joe
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I think the operative word in sneakyws6's post is "proactively". It is very good to see any one like you drop a line or explain in detail. Just the fact that you are obviously watching makes me interested in your products.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

also, when i see a question about the vinci tuner, i'm usually in that thread answering as well. if i can't, i let vinci know about it.

it's always nice to see the sponsors actually make posts. this shows they are here. most sponsors are always here lurking through and not posting.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Default Hypertech imo sucks

When i put hypertech in my 99 ls1 Z28 it was advanced way too far it sounded like someone was beating on a trash can with a hammer.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Im putting a 99-TR230/236-112 says computer tuning required can a vinci/crane get it where it needs to be or should i take it to a tuner with an editing program because i want it done right.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can say that the guys at Vinci will bend over backwards to help. I've always been taken care of in a timely mannner. If i have a serious question i'll just call them. I've never had a problem getting them on the phone and we'll usually talk for about 30 minutes after they've answered my question. Cool dudes.

The whole reason i bought a vinci was because of the fact that it will work with a 98. When i first got my car i was new to the LS1 scene. All i really knew was the LT1 world. The thought of a laptop tuner really didnt apeal to me. One reason being i dont have a laptop, lol. Second being that all i had heard was how hard it was to get the tune right without a dyno or a wide band. So i said what the heck and got the vinci tuner. No problems. I feel confident that when i do a cam i can get it as close as i need with this tuner. You can adjust plenty of parimeters. But to whoever said that vinci doesnt have good customer service is wrong. very wrong. I have to say that its the exact opposite. I've never once thought that it was a bad investment.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
On the tree

Joe I dont want you to think I was bashing and or making a blank statement as to your companies customer service. That was not my intention at all. If I came across as that way please accept my apology.

When I got my Diablo it was one of a very few on the market that actually did something useful. The hyper techs was not a good option, never seen anything good from them on my 89 L98 car and never heard much good for them for the LS series cars.

The Vinci may be able to handle the superchargers tunes with one built in the unit and the Diablo may not have it in the unit but they too can handle a supercharged car if th vehicle can get to a Diablo tuner shop.

I would venture to say that Diablo and Vinci are probably the two better handheld tuners on the market. I bought the Diablo because at the time I did not own a laptop like I do now. I am also not going to throw away a $300+ tuer and go out and buy a laptop baised program even if they do have more capibilities than the handhelds because my money is just waisted then on the handheld I already own.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Joe I dont want you to think I was bashing and or making a blank statement as to your companies customer service. That was not my intention at all. If I came across as that way please accept my apology.

When I got my Diablo it was one of a very few on the market that actually did something useful. The hyper techs was not a good option, never seen anything good from them on my 89 L98 car and never heard much good for them for the LS series cars.

The Vinci may be able to handle the superchargers tunes with one built in the unit and the Diablo may not have it in the unit but they too can handle a supercharged car if th vehicle can get to a Diablo tuner shop.

I would venture to say that Diablo and Vinci are probably the two better handheld tuners on the market. I bought the Diablo because at the time I did not own a laptop like I do now. I am also not going to throw away a $300+ tuer and go out and buy a laptop baised program even if they do have more capibilities than the handhelds because my money is just waisted then on the handheld I already own.
No problem. It is true that the Diablo can tune a supercharged car if you have access to a tuner shop. I have a client with a LS2 GTO that we put a cam/rocker pkg, Magnacharger and it has headers & full exhaust. He already had a Diablo. We used the Diablo to tune the car. We just emailed Diablosport what we needed for the tune and they worked with us to get it done. The important piece to that puzzle is that the tuner shop needs to have the proper equipment to give Diablosport the right information to properly tune the vehicle. Anyways, I appreciate you posting again and maybe to your point I should be seen a little more in some of these threads. No harm-no foul and everyone viewing this thread just learned a little more about these handhelds. The truth of the matter is that most people do not understand the handhelds capabilities or take full advantage of either the Diablo or Vinci Handheld Tuners.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Vinci
The truth of the matter is that most people do not understand the handhelds capabilities or take full advantage of either the Diablo or Vinci Handheld Tuners.
AMEN!

I see too many people doing their own tuning and causing more problems than they fix, when they could have started with a handheld and gotten much better results.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

why does this forum index show the last reply to this post is today at 3:40pm, but when I come to view the thread the last post is on page 5 and date/time is 2/12 at 11:59AM ?? (well, besides this one I just posted LOL)

is that because they just voted and didn't post any comments?

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 AM
TECH Resident

my laptop and HPT lol
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
why does this forum index show the last reply to this post is today at 3:40pm, but when I come to view the thread the last post is on page 5 and date/time is 2/12 at 11:59AM ?? (well, besides this one I just posted LOL)

is that because they just voted and didn't post any comments?
Yeah, it's a vote.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

im looking to by a tuner of some kind...i was thinking would a hand held be good enough or should i just get a HP or EFI or something like that.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

also curious bout the above question for my build up in progress. no dyno shops close by.. i don't know anyone that has LT1 edit to tune my blown 355 motor. had a bad mail in tune order. then trailered my car two hrs away for a dyno tune and the shop killed my motor with a bad tune.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by froggy47
Regarding these handheld tuners could anyone list which ones are limited/locked to your vin?

For those that are locked to your vin, which ones can be "unlocked" so you could resell it when you put the car back to stock?

If they are unlocked then the does the 2nd owner need to pay a fee to get it working?

Thanks.

Using the Predator to return the vehicle back to stock will automatically unlock it unless it has an older revision on it.
Not sure about the others...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

all the handhelds are supposed to unlock when you return the vehicle back to stock.

most get burned because the seller 'forgets' to return the tune back to stock.

the vinci/crane tuners unlock when you do a return to stock.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

So the only options for 98's is the vinci and the SCT? Great thread btw.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much. Diablo hasnt made anything for us that I know of and Hypertech is by far the most worthless thing you could ever buy. Im not really sure about the SCT, but my vinci tuner is the $#!T. Awesome customer service...extremely awesome. Every once in a while I have a question and I call them up and they're more than glad to help answer it. Very friendly too. I'm not dissapointed in mine at all. Its going to come in handy when I put my cam in in a few weeks. I'll start it up for the first time with a cam tune
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone actually used the 98 sct hand tuner? I know it's the rage in the Mustang world.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used it to tune my car, but I also work for SCT, so I was able to create the tune file on the dyno for my vehicle.

It is a custom tuned device, and is not a preloaded handheld like the rest of them on the market.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Handheld Tuner