PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing Pre-Orders for VCM Suite 2.1 and MPVI (USB)!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem with the USB upgrade price..I think its fair and just.

But, as a Full Gen III package owner I think the new LS2 price structure is very dissapointing. Maybe I am wrong but.

05 GTO $1000
05 Vette $1000
06 GTO $1000
06 Vette $1000
SSR $1000

Thats a huge increase in price and hard to swallow for a lots of "tweaner" tuners. I can see $1000 for build year but for each Model/year is high. The primary reason for selecting this over something like EFI live was the attractive pricing struture.
It seems due to the new prices etc it may be time to look again at alternatives.

Dave
Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Live offer LS2 stuff yet? AFAIK noone has it out.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

so basically, if i already have the serial, i should buy 2 unlimiteds before i upgrade to the USB? it kinda makes sense to me when it concerns ppl that are buying quite a few different vehicle liscenses, but it seems to me like the ppl that would only be getting say 4 vehicle types are gettin screwed here with the new structure. looks like it will be awhile till i upgrade.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so we cant just get two models anymore? Just give us the option for 2 models or the credit system. Alot of people liked the pricing structure as it was and just wanted to get rid of the usb to serial problems.

Also, will the new usb v2.3 software work with exsisting serial products?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my head hurts
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

ok, im confused..what the hell is the mpvi?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
So if i get the VCM std i get 8 credits all for 499? Does that mean I can do 2 cars(gen IV)?

What is the difference between the vcm std and the pro? Is the upgrade noticable for someone like me who will not be doing a ton of cars?

correct... you'd be able to tune 2 Gen IV cars for the 8 credits

the pro AFAIK lets you use the EIO function (standard doesn't support EIO)

MPVI = Multi Protocol Vehicle Interface (aka... ford, dodge, GM)

And as it's been for over a year... software updates are now free... the serial interface will still work w/the software updates... however you need the USB interface (MPVI) to work with Gen IV based PCMs

Last edited by horist; 02-01-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

STD is the non-EIO and PRO is the EIO
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can you pay towards a year/model or tunershop license over time?

ex: I buy a 2000 camaro Vin, then another 2000 Camaro Vin, and finally buy a third 2000 camaro vin. Now i have spent 6 credits on the 2000 Camaro model/year. Am i then able to tune all 2000 camaro's for free?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
i have nothing.....but a 05 Corvette WTF should I order?

I really only care to tune my car but if I end up getting halfway decent at it I may do 1 or 2 more

What do you guys recomend? To much to look at when you dont know a thing about it.
the ordering system has been completely streamlined...the only choice you have to make at the time of your initial purchase is STD or Pro...doesnt seem to difficult to me. Once you get your unit you decide if you want to vin lock it basically.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spenser309
can you pay towards a year/model or tunershop license over time?

ex: I buy a 2000 camaro Vin, then another 2000 Camaro Vin, and finally buy a third 2000 camaro vin. Now i have spent 6 credits on the 2000 Camaro model/year. Am i then able to tune all 2000 camaro's for free?
no, i believe this was answered earlier in this thread.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Launching!

ok, so far i only see one problem, and that is the "MPVI Std to MPVI Pro" upgrade. it's $289, where as it's only a $150 difference in the original ordering, what gives? am i just reading it wrong? so far i liked the new system, until i read that.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Magnus
Think of it this way. I probably shouldn't be saying this but I will anyway...

If you have a serial interface and already have 4 vehicle types.. your next LS1 vehicle type would be $399 as would all after right?

Well, if you upgrade to the MPVI USB interface, all your new year/model LS1 licenses would be $299 saving you $100 on each year/model license you use!

Your going to lose this battle...

Not the case at all. I have multiple cables and still have open spots on my cables, so as long as I don't want to tune LS2 vehicles, it's still way cheaper for me to add support for LS1 and non LSx engines.

For example, I have 7 open spots available to me to use with my serial cables.

- 7 Unlimited Vehicle types * $199 = $1393

Now say I have the new set up and I want to add the same LS1 support.

- 7 Unlimited Vehicle types (7 * 6 credits each = 42 Credits) * $49.99 = $2099.58

Again, please explain to myself and all others that are reading this, how $2099.58 is cheaper in the long run than $1393?

I highly suggest to those people thinking about getting into tuning LS1 and non LSx engines to buy the older serial cables now, it will be way cheaper in the long run to go this route than the new cable/price structure. IMHO...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
I have no problem with the USB upgrade price..I think its fair and just.

But, as a Full Gen III package owner I think the new LS2 price structure is very dissapointing. Maybe I am wrong but.

05 GTO $1000
05 Vette $1000
06 GTO $1000
06 Vette $1000
SSR $1000

Thats a huge increase in price and hard to swallow for a lots of "tweaner" tuners. I can see $1000 for build year but for each Model/year is high. The primary reason for selecting this over something like EFI live was the attractive pricing struture.
It seems due to the new prices etc it may be time to look again at alternatives.

Dave

I am one of those "tweaner" tuners, I got so excited that I quickly sent e-mail about upgrading, went back and looked , added it up to a tune of $1900 just to add 3 model/year lisences. which was $950 with the old way. I was hoping to get my free lance tuning shop off the ground, maybe not this year.

I guess its back to carbs and hi-rise intakes for shadetree car guy on a buget.

Last edited by 8100hammer; 02-02-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

the bottom line here is you are upset that we are closing down a scenario where people (like you) could buy multiple cables to take advantage of the lower pricing, which was designed to provide "VIN locking like" affordability to home enthusiasts with mutliple vehicles rather than give a free ride to smalltime tuners such as yourself. The obvious penalty was you had mutliple cables, had to install multiple software and upgrades, if you had support issues it took us 3 emails to work out which cable you were talking about etc. etc. I think there are maybe 5 people who did this kind of thing.

The old scheme resumed the "regular price" of $399 per year/model after the 4th license as we didn't count on tuners actually wanting to manage 4 or 5 cables.

Your claims that we no longer provide good value pertain to your own specific circumstance and for some reason you are completely failing to acknowledge the existence of the new Single Vehicle (VIN) licenses that are now better suited to your circumstance...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by gameover
the bottom line here is you are upset that we are closing down a scenario where people (like you) could buy multiple cables to take advantage of the lower pricing, which was designed to provide "VIN locking like" affordability to home enthusiasts with mutliple vehicles rather than give a free ride to smalltime tuners such as yourself. The obvious penalty was you had mutliple cables, had to install multiple software and upgrades, if you had support issues it took us 3 emails to work out which cable you were talking about etc. etc. I think there are maybe 5 people who did this kind of thing.

The old scheme resumed the "regular price" of $399 per year/model after the 4th license as we didn't count on tuners actually wanting to manage 4 or 5 cables.

Your claims that we no longer provide good value pertain to your own specific circumstance and for some reason you are completely failing to acknowledge the existence of the new Single Vehicle (VIN) licenses that are now better suited to your circumstance...

I'm just upset on how much it costs for LS2 support, I'm sure your reading my other post now.

Having multiple cables is/was never a problem since I don't tune that many cars every week like a shop could/does. Once the software is installed, all is well. When I need to tune a certain car, I grab the appropriate cable to do the job. I wouldn't call that a penalty.

You guys know I am a huge HP Tuner fan/supporter and you guys made it possible for me to affordably tune other cars easily, and I'm really appreciative for that. You really do have a great product, one of the best out there IMHO.

For short term, tuning a single LS2 VIN might be cheaper to get the ball rolling, like I said, I don't tune that many cars and thats why the other price structure worked better for me.

I know my situation is kinda unique, but I feel I must voice my opinion.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Billiumss
I'm just upset on how much it costs for LS2 support, I'm sure your reading my other post now.

Having multiple cables is/was never a problem since I don't tune that many cars every week like a shop could/does. Once the software is installed, all is well. When I need to tune a certain car, I grab the appropriate cable to do the job. I wouldn't call that a penalty.

You guys know I am a huge HP Tuner fan/supporter and you guys made it possible for me to affordably tune other cars easily, and I'm really appreciative for that. You really do have a great product, one of the best out there IMHO.

For short term, tuning a single LS2 VIN might be cheaper to get the ball rolling, like I said, I don't tune that many cars and thats why the other price structure worked better for me.

I know my situation is kinda unique, but I feel I must voice my opinion.
We definitely value your opinion and others. In fact that's how we got to this system in the first place, by listening to customers feedback. However, it's very tough to make one scheme that delivers the perfect outcome to every customer given the huge diversity in our customer base and the need to keep things simple. We're constantly trying our best, thats all we can do!

Chris...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am new to HP tuners so bear with me. Which do I need std. or pro to log if I want to log my runs at the track in order to check A/F and such?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To take advanatage of true A/F, you need pro version, as well as you need to buy a wideband with O2 sensor ($200)
Old 02-02-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 8100hammer
I am one of those "tweaner" tuners, I got so excited that I quickly sent e-mail about upgrading, went back and looked , added it up to a tune of $1900 just to add 3 model/year lisences. which was $950 with the old way. I was hoping to get my free lance tuning shop off the ground, maybe not this year.

I guess its back to carbs and hi-rise intakes for shadetree car guy on a buget.
Adding 3 year license excluding LS2, since you cant compair that to the old price structure it is brand new, is $897. The old way, assuming that you still have 2 more years you can get for $199, you would have spent $797. If you were to add on one more year to make it 4, you would be totally even with the old setup and for your 5th and every one there after you would save $100. How in the world did you come up with $1900?!?!

Remember, the LS2 stuff is brand new, it is not readily available anywhere else. How much was LS1 edit when it came out and was the only thing? A hell of a lot more. At least you can get a single vin for $199 for an LS2, just be thankful that HPT gives you flexability to tune LS2 cars now. Just add that price to your customers, its not like they will get it done cheaper anywhere else. I dont see why everyone thinks it is going to come out of your pocket. The price of LS2 software is higher than LS1, charge more for LS2 and you dont have this situation.