PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wonder what it takes to.................

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ever wonder what it takes to.................

........pass emissions in a H/C setup and full exhaust with no cats?

Last summer, I took the SS in for emissions. I have the mods in sig (at the time of this post, MS3, PP Stage II LS6 heads @ 59cc, etc, etc...) and have the rear O2 codes and emission codes removed. I reset an SES light about 3 days prior to taking it into emissions, thinking it would have enough drive time to still pass the OBDII electronic test.
I was WRONG!
Two 'readiness' codes were still not set, and the guy put the car on the rollers to do the sniffer test. I KNEW the car would fail, since the MS3 cam and stage II heads were pretty much dumping raw 93 out the CATLESS exhaust.
I suppose in hind sight, I could have just said that I would bring the car back at a later date to get tested to avoid the sniffer, but I wasn't thinking, and allowed him to run it on the rollers.

Here are the results of that test....

Hydro Carbons

Mine..... 14.2139 grams/mile

Passing..... .6000 grams/mile

Failed

Carbon Monoxide

Mine..... 30.1918 grams/mile

Passing..... 10.0000 grams/mile

Failed

Nitrogen Oxide

Mine..... .9073 grams/mile

Passing..... 1.5000 grams/mile

Passed!!

And I passed the gas cap test too.. Woot!

The kid that drove it said I should "check the spark plugs, because it idles kinda rough"

After talking to a few people, I found out that once you fail the drive test (sniffer), you HAVE to have it retested on the sniffer no matter what year your car is. Even if it will pass the OBDII test.... because it failed on the rollers, it is mandatory that it be retested on the sniffer.

I then found myself in a pickle. The only options I had, were to put the stock cam/heads/exhaust/emissions crap back on the car, and have it tested again.... or find someone elses car that was virtually the same as far as year/color/mileage, and swap license plates while hoping the testing person didnt check the vin number. Shady, yes.... but it would sure be easier than putting the whole car back to stock, and then re-mod it after it passed.

I decided to buy a set of magnaflow cats off of ebay for about $45 each, and weld them into my TSP ORY pipe with flanges on each end so I could remove them whenever I wanted. The 3" flanges were about $12 each, and I needed (12) of them. One on each end of both cats, two on each part of the y-pipe, and 2 on each piece of straight pipe for when I wanted to remove the cats.

I figured with such a big cam and the decent set of heads on the car that just putting cats on the car wouldnt be enough. So I picked up 21 bottles of alcohol (heet) from the fleet mechanic at work, and decided to dump those in a near empty gas tank.

I borrowed a MAFT from a friend to lean the car out (for the test only), and he recommend that I raise the idle up to about 1200 rpm to help reduce the raw fuel coming out the exhaust due to the cam overlap.

So... with 21 bottles of alcohol (heet) in a near empty tank of gas, raised idle (1200 rpms), leaning it out 15% with a MAFT, and adding 2 cats to the car.... the b!tch passed with FLYING COLORS!!!!
It even had the 'Quick Pass'.... meaning it was clean enough where it didnt even have to run the FULL sniffer test.

So if you need to pass emissions, and don't feel like demodding your whole car for a 5 minute drive test...... try the things listed above.

Last edited by NVR_ENUF; 12-15-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

or you could move to kansas and not have to worry about it . that would've stunk if you had to go back to stock to get it to pass.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Our government and their damn testing BS...way to get around it. As far as I am concerned they are doing all the wrong tests. Pull the cars off of the road that are dragging bumpers, missing windows, have shitty brakes, fucked tires, etc... Basically get the damn jalopies off of the road. Who gives a **** what comes out the tail pipe, other than the government self employment programs(test centers).

Way to beat the idiots. If we had testing in this state, I would put in a bigger cam, make it run like complete ***, then turn off the codes and drive to the testing center. Black smoke out the tail pipe and an idle that surges between 600 and 1800 would still get me that damn sticker...lol.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Our government and their damn testing BS...way to get around it. As far as I am concerned they are doing all the wrong tests. Pull the cars off of the road that are dragging bumpers, missing windows, have shitty brakes, fucked tires, etc... Basically get the damn jalopies off of the road. Who gives a **** what comes out the tail pipe, other than the government self employment programs(test centers).

Way to beat the idiots. If we had testing in this state, I would put in a bigger cam, make it run like complete ***, then turn off the codes and drive to the testing center. Black smoke out the tail pipe and an idle that surges between 600 and 1800 would still get me that damn sticker...lol.

Haha.... I can't tell you how many cars I come across every day on my way to work, that look like they are ready to fall apart at any given second.... kind of like Jake and Elwoods car at the end of 'Blues Brothers'.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Yes, that would help too. I would have done that if it was still on the car, LOL.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Someone needs to make this a sticky or something so it doesn't get lost! This could help out allot of fellow enthusiasts!

I used to live in VA. Where they are almost as bad as Ca. for emissions testing. I hated that ****! So I moved to Florida and don't have to deal with it! But with the DAMN Democrats in both houses now , it's something EVERY STATE may end up having to deal with!

At least it isn't cold here, LMAO! Christmas Eve and I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt! Come on, you didn't really think I moved here just to get away from emissions testing did ya?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Haha... I dont know if it's 'sticky' worthy, but I'm sure it will definately help some people out.
I searched the forum, along with the rest of the internet but couldnt really find any current info that helped. The worst that could have happened to me with trying the things listed in my original post, was that I would fail the test. I could have retested up to 3 times before I would have had to start paying for them.

Brian
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

how bad is 21 bottles of heet for your engine on a nearly empty tank?
any1 chime in please im in need of passing emissions
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dub.ya.es.SICK
how bad is 21 bottles of heet for your engine on a nearly empty tank?
any1 chime in please im in need of passing emissions
Methanol as a rule will require 2 1/2-3 times as much delivered through the carb/injectors as gasoline so just adding the meth leans the A/F out substantially. You would not want run very long on it but you should be fine just going through emmissions.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

but with barely any gas and 21 bottles is that safe for my engine? i put 3 bottles in and it almost cut my hydro carbon in half but yet it still wasnt in passing form..so im debating adding more!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

anybody chime in on how safe iso heet is in massive quantities? please
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Bump!... for a good cause.

As long as you go and fill up your tank right after the test, your car will be fine.
I've just heard that alcohol will dry up rubber seals and whatnot over time.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Thats pretty sweet man. im printing this off and putting it in a file. where im registered now, i dont have to test. but if it changes to where i live (denver) its a guarenteed. thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what it takes to.................