PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions On Shops doing the Tune!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions On Shops doing the Tune!

I just got done talking with Virginia Beach Speed, whos sister shop is EngineTech. And in Order for them to do a Dyno tune I would have to purchase LS1 edit. Is that normal. Or do most dyno shops allready have the needed software to do the job.. Cause I really don't want to belt out a few hundred dollers on top of them doing the work for the dyno tune.

Any help would be appriciated.

Lane
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any reputable shop would already have the tuning software, if they don't already have it you'd probably be better off buying yourself a tuning suite of your own such as HP Tuners & tuning the car yourself for not much, if any, more.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazylane
I just got done talking with Virginia Beach Speed, whos sister shop is EngineTech. And in Order for them to do a Dyno tune I would have to purchase LS1 edit. Is that normal. Or do most dyno shops allready have the needed software to do the job.. Cause I really don't want to belt out a few hundred dollers on top of them doing the work for the dyno tune.

Any help would be appriciated.

Lane

Ask the guys in HRF-body what they are doing; it's your area. There is DTP local to you (although I wouldn't take my ride there either)...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
any reputable shop would already have the tuning software, if they don't already have it you'd probably be better off buying yourself a tuning suite of your own such as HP Tuners & tuning the car yourself for not much, if any, more.
I agree, and had the same issue with F1Dyno here in Maine. They told me they could not afford a shop license and I would have to buy my own tuning software...so I did (EFI Live V1), and have not been back to them since.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
We always had the software but usually payed as we go for each license. In two decades of custom tuning, learned a long time ago not to buy bulk licenses from an industry where, what is the best software one day is not the next day not to mention the possibility of software suppliers going out of business. We always gave the buyer the option of supplying there own software because, if we went out of business, they could take their software/license elsewhere and pickup where we left off.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by dynocar
We always had the software but usually payed as we go for each license. In two decades of custom tuning, learned a long time ago not to buy bulk licenses from an industry where, what is the best software one day is not the next day not to mention the possibility of software suppliers going out of business. We always gave the buyer the option of supplying there own software because, if we went out of business, they could take their software/license elsewhere and pickup where we left off.
Theres a HUGE difference in what YOU do and what the shop this guy went to is doing. This guys shop doesnt have the software/hardware to tune his car period which is sign number 1 not to use the shop in most cases Considering tuning packages start at less then $500 now. If they are a serious high performance shop they should at least have the capability to tune an LS1 powered car...and seeing that they recommended LS1edit over the other software packages on the market is another sign not to go there

Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynocar
Cost is always a factor...I think anyone can understand that. But don't make some poor sap whose already dumped a ton of $$ into their car buy the ENTIRE tuning package so the tuning shop can do what we've paid them for!
For example, if I owned a dyno, I would probably use HP Tuners. For 3 additional credits, ~$150, you can get a VIN licensed with RTT...am I right foff? So, charge that to the customer when they come for the tune in addition to the dyno rate (which should be reduced IMO if they have to pay for the licensed software). I think that's pretty darn fair!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Cost is always a factor...I think anyone can understand that. But don't make some poor sap whose already dumped a ton of $$ into their car buy the ENTIRE tuning package so the tuning shop can do what we've paid them for!
For example, if I owned a dyno, I would probably use HP Tuners. For 3 additional credits, ~$150, you can get a VIN licensed with RTT...am I right foff? So, charge that to the customer when they come for the tune in addition to the dyno rate (which should be reduced IMO if they have to pay for the licensed software). I think that's pretty darn fair!
correct, thats why im saying a shop could start out with HP Tuners for instance for $499 with 8 credits which would be enough to tune up to 4 pcm locked cars/trucks/suv's...if they own a dyno with a wideband setup they would be great candidates for our RTT MAF custom OS...just setup your starter file, throw it on the dyno, dial in the maf table, set your pe & spark tables for max power, done. Then just keep 2 or 4 credits handy so you can tune anyone ***** nilly coming in off the street. I can understand a shop not owning a $35k dyno but a $500 program for a hi-po shop is a necessity these days IMHO
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote, "Theres a HUGE difference in what YOU do"

Should read, "Theres a HUGE difference in what YOU did." Just retired 1/1/07, 20 yrs of EFI tuning, hobby first 5 yrs, professionally last 15, could write a book on how it's changed, was there before EFI was cool.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Duelly noted

Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's nobody at VA Speed that can tune.....Regardless what they use.
Crazylane, PM sent.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for everyones advice and help. It is greatly appriciated. I just think it is funny how they told me to go and buy the software, and then still charge me at the full rate on the dyno. If they are half as good as they said they are, then they should at least work with people. But thats enough about that. I will just know to warn people if they decide they want to go there. Thanks again every one.

Lane
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
There's nobody at VA Speed that can tune.....Regardless what they use.
Crazylane, PM sent.
Tag your it! Ha ha just joking man. I should not have drank that last one. I sent you a pm back I will give you a call sometime.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazylane
Tag your it! Ha ha just joking man. I should not have drank that last one. I sent you a pm back I will give you a call sometime.
STEP AWAY FROM THE BEVERAGES!!!! =
Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the catch.If they don't have the software,more than likely they do not know how to properly tune anyways.Look for a shop with a good rep. for tuning vehicles like your own.

I still disagree with the "buy your own" idea around here.Probly 80% of the people here don't want to take the time to learn/tune there own car.Yes, the 20% do take the time and learn and reap the benefit's.
I say this because probly 40% of the tunes I do are for people that bought a tuning package because everybody said to do it themselve. Well,they couldn't figure it out and gave up or the cars run like crap.Now they call our shop and get mad because we still charge our normal tuning rate.So a customer can pay near $1000 to just tune there car.

This is long but gives the idea
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Here is the catch.If they don't have the software,more than likely they do not know how to properly tune anyways.Look for a shop with a good rep. for tuning vehicles like your own.

I still disagree with the "buy your own" idea around here.Probly 80% of the people here don't want to take the time to learn/tune there own car.Yes, the 20% do take the time and learn and reap the benefit's.
I say this because probly 40% of the tunes I do are for people that bought a tuning package because everybody said to do it themselve. Well,they couldn't figure it out and gave up or the cars run like crap.Now they call our shop and get mad because we still charge our normal tuning rate.So a customer can pay near $1000 to just tune there car.

There are different ways to take the long route...me personally I got a bad tune from a respectable tuner & was basically forced to buy my own tuning software or keep spending $500 out of pocket around every corner...If I could've done it over again I would've just bought the software first & gone from there...I had done all of the other work myself on the car using guides like ls1howto.com's heads/cam install & install universities guides in suspension stuff so why not do a little reading & learn how to tune. I understand there are people that just don't have the time but have the money & most of those get the car built beginning to end & thats fine for them...for me its a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day knowing I did something, not me paying someone to do something

Old 01-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Banned

AMEN......
You cant go out and buy a stethascope (typo) and BAM you're a doctor. but it seems like people think you can go out and buy a tool box/tools and BAM you're a mechanic. Or, tuning software and BAM you're a tuner. I have seen tunes/cars from other "professional" tuners, where the car had issues that the tuner was trying to "fix" with the tune.
Most that purchase the tuner packages dont have enough diagnostic or driveability experience to understand what they are doing.
AND, most dont do enough research before, during, and after tuning.
Had a head and cam LS1, while taking a break (cool down) from working on the VE tables, and explaining the process to the customer, his response was " I thought you just had to lean it out with the power enrichment"
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I second, or where ever we're at, that. You are not preaching to the choir here, most people that hang out here are "do it your selfers" and possibly think that everyone should be even if they don't have the interest or skills. I ride a self tuned turbo Harley, but I don't think it's for everyone. Our shop has had many customers, possibly close to 1000, drop their car off, we did the dyno tune and never heard from them again, got many referrals from them. And like previously stated, we have had to clean up many messes, a beginner has a difficult time diagnosing two or three other engine issues and solving them mixed in, not to mention thier lack of knowledge and experiance with just the tuning part. Some did not give up until their third engine.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

I agree you. From a "newcomers" perspective learning the ins and outs at the most basic level is an uphill endeavor. I bought a tuning solution because I wanted to learn this side of modding and save some money in the long term. I had a local shop get me in the ballpark using my software and have been going from there.

Attention to detail and trial and error are the name of the game, IMHO. If one is not willing to devote the time, money, and attention necessary they may be better off going to a shop for the tune. I have spent countlesshours learning (and I am still learning) the Scan Tool, making Maps, interpreting data, ect. The members of this board are worth their weight in gold when it comes to offering assistance and feedback.. as well as those on the EFIlive forum.

I by no means call myself a "tuner". I am more of a "hobbyist". Like Foff said... its the satisfaction at the end of the day.... I was a "happy camper" when I upgraded to a '02 OS and set my car up in OLSD to start tuning the VE table. Heck... you can see the problems I was having with my WBO2 (do a search), while it has been very frustrating the plus is it is a learning experience as well.

And Lane... I would not recommend VASpeed if they want you to purchase your own solution. I am sure they are good, but not for that. I dont know what Frost has against DTP, but I went there and Brent got me in the window.... which is what I asked him to do.

R/

Frat

Last edited by Fratsit; 01-05-2007 at 08:57 AM.