PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Interesting Read

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Interesting Read

Interesting read starting with post #7. I know what everyones opinion is of JR, but what about what the other poster is saying?

http://www.monodax.com/forums/tunerc...ning-help.html
Old 01-24-2007 | 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good read, alot of good information in there in reality, much of it true...also much of it false.
Old 01-24-2007 | 01:14 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Some good, some bad.

I thought the most interesting comment was 'Widebands don't work in closed loop' comment.

I can't speak for onboards because mine is onboard open loop, but for the countless hours that I have spent on a dyno with a car I can say that the great majority of cars running closed loop you can stick a sniffer in the exhaust and get 14.7 for most steady state operation...... seems pretty close to me.
Old 01-24-2007 | 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

I used my LC1 to dial in my friend's car in open loop (sensor in header bung). Switched over to CL and LTFT's stayed close to 0 (+/- 1.6%).
Old 01-24-2007 | 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

efilive and road runner will even let you run a kind of wideband based closed loop for any commanded fueling as it will self adjust. (Just need a laptop to control the changes)
Old 01-24-2007 | 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

I guess my car is one of JR's "5%".

Bottom line- Air, Fuel and Timing.
Nothing in the link really new...but alot of old.
Old 01-24-2007 | 02:01 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Hey Bink. Glad to see you are still on the boards.

As usual, you are correct - in the end it is all air-fuel-spark......no matter how you get it there.
Old 01-24-2007 | 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

a sniffer will register the average airfuel. What the comment was stating, part of, was a good wideband, will have issues with the closed loop rich/lean over the stoich point to get accurate data.

Most of the internet tooners equipment is not going to pick up this kind of variance.

Ryan
Old 01-24-2007 | 02:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've personally read more interesting articles in Good Housekeeping.

About the only point I saw that I would consider to be a valid concern would be buying a used car that had been tuned in SD that now needed to be smogged. If I ever sold my car, I'd put my narrowband O2 sensors back in as well as the MAF sensor just to save on the grief. Then THEY could replace the narrowbands every year when they die (probably sooner), and have fun with their K&N air filter (that people will inevitably put in because of their marketing hype) getting oil spatter all over the wires.

While the PCM was never designed to be used the way I do, it most certainly works, and works quite well (open loop, SD). Considering I'm an enthusiast, I don't mind spending some extra time tweaking my tune every now and again to keep it running its best.
Old 01-24-2007 | 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

There was a lot of clutter added to that thread after I started this one. I guess the one post there I was wanting comments on was #10.
Old 01-24-2007 | 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
There was a lot of clutter added to that thread after I started this one. I guess the one post there I was wanting comments on was #10.
Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Actually, the Vortec trucks with the black boxes do use the VE tables, and cams or big cubic inch trucks do benifit from working with the VE tables. However, the kids that have decided the VE table needs to be a pretty graph, or smoothed, simply don't know what they are talking about. They need to graph a stock VE table, and tell us how pretty and smooth it is. Guess the GM calibrators don't know what they are doing, right? Unless it is a big stroker, I don't see much value is changing LS1 and later VE tables. The 2 factory calibrators I'm aquainted with get a kick out of the guys trying to tune VE tables with a wide band. They both read ls1tech pcm section "for grins". Those kids want to treat a factory PCM like a DFI, etc. They don't seem to realize the GM boxes toggle the air/fuel rich/lean/rich/lean many times a second to store oxygen in the cats. Confuses the hell out of the wide band, all it can do is try to everage the numbers. The values it gives is inacurate, so then when they hook the MAF back up and put it back into closed loop the MAF tables must be wrong too because the fuel trims are now off. Pretty damn comical.
It's a simple concept that some people believe (and I guess some don't). Whether it's correct or not, I don't know for sure. I do know (thanks to RHS) what an injector flows at a given FRP based on it's specs. I do know that I can get my VE table dialed in +/-2% for any RPM and/or MAP that I see during my driving styles. And, I do know that when I turn my MAF back on, the stock calibration will lean out the progress I just made and therefore the values need to be adjusted (increased) to add more fuel. All of that can be done in less than 48 hours and remain consistent until my next mod. The trick, IMO, is getting the spark table right for my mods.

Yes, I could jig-rig the VE for idle, distort the IFR table, and get the desired AFR in probably 1/10th the time it would take me to do it the other way. But, I like having my WBO2 AFR match the PCM commanded AFR (again, within +/- 2%). I choose to run open-loop because (as stated above) I don't want the anual expense of replacing NBO2's. I like the MAF and don't fall into the full-time SD hype - especially with the weather changes we see here in Michigan.

As for the whole PCM debate...I'm typing this message on-site at a major OEM right now and deal with some of the people that buy & engineer the ECM's in all of their vehicles. I have yet to hear about design complaints. The bigger complaint is cost, how it can be done for less, and who's technically qualified to do it....just like any company producing any product.

In the end, I don't know what my tune will look like. But, I know the AFR's will be where I want them, the spark will be where it's making some good power without detonation, and I WILL be happy with it. And the best part is I will know that I acheived my goal of tuning my car on my own based on what I've managed to learn over the past year and a half tinkering with my copy of EFI Live.
Old 01-24-2007 | 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm new to whomever JR is, but he certainly contradicts himself often; an awful lot of "GM did it so that is the best way" followed by "well, they had to tune for every possible variance". He seems to completely ignore the fact that GM's requirement to generically tune for every scenario is specifically why adjusting things down to a vehicle/locale specific design nets a great increase in power AND drivability (assuming a fair level of modification from your factory components).

I'm a tuning newbie, and that's not a hard concept for me to grasp.
Old 01-24-2007 | 04:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I'm new to whomever JR is, but he certainly contradicts himself often; an awful lot of "GM did it so that is the best way" followed by "well, they had to tune for every possible variance". He seems to completely ignore the fact that GM's requirement to generically tune for every scenario is specifically why adjusting things down to a vehicle/locale specific design nets a great increase in power AND drivability (assuming a fair level of modification from your factory components).

I'm a tuning newbie, and that's not a hard concept for me to grasp.
If I'm not mistaken, JR hails from the days of old when LS1Edit was king ****, and scaling your IFR table was the preferred method to get your fuel trims in line. After HPTuners and EFILive came to market, there was a great rift...he went one way (and still holds to his values), and most of us went the other.
Old 01-24-2007 | 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

he dont even understand why the o2 sensors are switched from rich to lean.. lol Also, how is it that EFILive is forcing people to buy speed density programs if they dont even charge for them? They where given away always for free. lol
Old 01-25-2007 | 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

He certainly knows how to turn someones thread into a shitfight without even answering any of the questions.
Old 01-25-2007 | 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm to tired for a long drawn out post so i'll sum it, JR aka Team-zr(retarded)1 makes baby Jesus cry.